• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10x scopes

KineticPerformance

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
I need a scope that tops out at 10x and the few I'm considering are:

1. S&B PM II 10x42mm (probably used): good glass, shortish and light, good FOV, but backwards elevation with simple MRAD reticles. I generally am not a huge S&B PM II fan (used 4-16x and 5-25x and don't love them) but this scope has a very good reputation.

2. NF NXS 2.5-10x42mm: short, light, adjustable parallax and illum, but SFP and only has MIL-R. I like that I can lock the diopter. I have had both the smaller objective models and regret selling them. I wouldn't even be making this post if I still had the 32mm. If it were FFP with a tree I also wouldn't be asking about anything else. I'm admittedly a NF fan.

3. EOTech Vudu 2.5-10x44mm: same size and weight as my NX8 4-32x (so it's really too big for a 10x) but is on the list because I can get it with H59 reticle. I know some don't like the reticle and I don't care, I do like it. I care what you think of the scope in general because I've not seen one.

4. SWFA SS HD 3-9x42mm: short, light, and generally held as a lot of scope for the money. I've used various SS models here and there and I like the Mil-Quad. They always track but I've never been blown away by the glass in the classic line. That said, I've never used their HD line except a 5-25x I tested for a friend.

If you have experience with these, good or bad, I'm all ears. Better yet would be if you have used two or more and can compare them. I like FFP but it isn't a deal breaker or the NF wouldn't be on the table. I don't require a tree but if the Vudu is a good scope the H59 could seal the deal for me. I don't care about illuminated reticles. I need a mid range optic for a .233 gasser that has good glass, good depth of focus, tracks since I may dial it, and is easy to get behind. I don't really care about the low end mag as I only use it to get on target then I mag in. It's going to have a RDS for anything close and fast.

What's up for discussion is up top; I'm not getting a Burris/Vortex/Athlon/etc 2.5-10x. I've had and like some Trijicon but not sold on the Credo (but might consider a compelling argument because I can get a tree) and I'm not getting any 1-10x. It also can't be something over 10x.

Any good or bad arguments for the 2-10 credo can be found here

The short of it is, it's pretty durable, light, and tracks well, the mil tree with illumination is nice, but on 2x without illumination it can be difficult for some people to pick up.

My personal experience is it's a keeper and dependable, but wish there were some updates to it to make it shine.

No experience with any of the other scopes.

Reactions: KineticPerformance
Any good or bad arguments for the 2-10 credo can be found here

The short of it is, it's pretty durable, light, and tracks well, the mil tree with illumination is nice, but on 2x without illumination it can be difficult for some people to pick up.

My personal experience is it's a keeper and dependable, but wish there were some updates to it to make it shine.

No experience with any of the other scopes.
How does yours look at 10x? The credo was on my short list until I watched the C_DOES review.

I don't remember it getting "muddy" like he describes. Hell I thought the glass was good enough when I was able to spot crisp little 6.5mm holes in paper when shooting my AR10. If you were to sit it and a GLx 2.5-10 in front of me though and tell me to pick one, it'd be a hard choice because I've shot both side by side.

I'm not a scope reviewer though and the trijicon is the most expensive scope I own, so compared to everything else I own it's a damn nice optic. If I were to have a decent amount of experience behind some higher end optics I'd probably be able to complain about more short comings in it.

not being a jerk, but most tier 1 scopes are have a higher top end

just dont turn the dial past 10 and get the best glass on the market rather then settling for last generations glass

not being a jerk, but most tier 1 scopes are have a higher top end

just dont turn the dial past 10 and get the best glass on the market rather then settling for last generations glass
Most scopes with a higher maximum magnification have higher minimum magnifications and weigh significantly more. In my case, light weight and field of view are higher priorities than glass quality. If there were a FFP NXS 2.5-10, I'd buy that, but there isn't so I must choose between lower glass quality or significantly higher price.

Reactions: brianf
I have no experience with the USO FDN 10x, but can generally recommend the older ST10 and the 1.8-10x SN3 models. I’m not sure how they’d handle a warranty issue if you had one, but from my experience, the chances of needing to use the warranty are slim. Their newer stuff may be different, but the legacy USO stuff has always been solid for me.

The SWFA SS 3-9x is a helluva scope for the money, especially if you can find a used one. They, like the legacy USOs above, lack several modern features, but the ones I’ve owned worked, and worked well. I’m not sure what the deal is with SWFA right now, but they haven’t had the HD models in stock for quite some time. If they’d update the models some, I think they could storm the market again as they once did, but what do I know? If you find one at a good price though, grab it!

From your list, I have zero experience with the EOTech, so I’d probably go with the NF. S&B makes a great scope, but if it has to top out at 10x, I’d rather have an SFP variable than a fixed 10x, generally speaking.

I used the NF 2.5-10x24 for years. Really liked it. No issues. I did not find it at all limiting in low light or even at night. Others disagreed about that. For some reason I see very well at night.

Reactions: Laseredge
I have no experience with the USO FDN 10x, but can generally recommend the older ST10 and the 1.8-10x SN3 models. I’m not sure how they’d handle a warranty issue if you had one, but from my experience, the chances of needing to use the warranty are slim. Their newer stuff may be different, but the legacy USO stuff has always been solid for me.

The SWFA SS 3-9x is a helluva scope for the money, especially if you can find a used one. They, like the legacy USOs above, lack several modern features, but the ones I’ve owned worked, and worked well. I’m not sure what the deal is with SWFA right now, but they haven’t had the HD models in stock for quite some time. If they’d update the models some, I think they could storm the market again as they once did, but what do I know? If you find one at a good price though, grab it!

From your list, I have zero experience with the EOTech, so I’d probably go with the NF. S&B makes a great scope, but if it has to top out at 10x, I’d rather have an SFP variable than a fixed 10x, generally speaking.
USO's warranty would take care of issues. I talked to a guy who got one of the original run B-Series (discontinued for good reasons) and had to send it back for the common turret issues of the time and had good experiences with their customer service turn around time and treatment.

For reference, the original B-Series used aluminum internals on the turrets and were eventually replaced with steel internals due to common failures on zero stops and turrets slipping. They also had a windage knob screw that wasn't supposed to be unscrewed. He said he unscrewed it and even though it was user error, they fixed it within a week. Later run B-Series had updated turrets with steel internals. FWIW, the Foundation line launched in 2020 and did away with all these issues, using the tried and true ER3K turrets, as were used in the LR, ER, SN series scopes of old.

I've been using an FDN 25X for the last six months with only stellar things to say about it. Eyebox is tight in favor of expanded FOV. I'm currently looking at getting a 10x for my gasser once I sell my razor hd ii.

Last edited:
Reactions: KineticPerformance
Bausch & Lomb Tactical 10X: Fantastic old school scope (MOA turrets/MilDot reticle). Has 144 min of revelation. Great optics. You can find them here on the Hide for a reasonable price.

My vote would be for the NF. SFP 2.5-10 is better than a fixed 10 IMO. Holding over on less than 10x is probably unlikely anyway. Using less than 10x means you are probably close enough not to have to worry much about drop or drift.

I sold a x32 and have been meaning to replace it with a x42.

My vote would be for the NF. SFP 2.5-10 is better than a fixed 10 IMO. Holding over on less than 10x is probably unlikely anyway. Using less than 10x means you are probably close enough not to have to worry much about drop or drift.

I sold a x32 and have been meaning to replace it with a x42.
I sold a 24mm and 32mm. I wish I kept the 32mm for a hunting gun. I'm probably going to get a 42mm for another hunting gun.

For this gun I do need FFP and prefer a tree because it will be used for shooting out to 700m and, more importantly, at night where I do not want to be limited to 10x for a number of reasons.

Against my better judgement, I bought a Vortex Razor Gen 3 1-10x. So far it's alright. It has a really tight reticle viewing area but creates a similar image to the 1-6x, that is to say big and clean. I like the translucent center dot. I'm hoping that the illumination design is more robust (it should be because it's like what is in the ATACR 1-8x) because I've had four Razor 1-6x where the reticle and the illumination filament separated mid firing.

That makes sense, regarding the 10x, especially at night. As you know the x32 did dim before 10x. I think I noticed mine dimmed at 6x. Not noticeable during the day, but dusk/dawn it was noticeable. That's part of the reason I wanted to go to the x42, I was hoping to get more mag prior to dimming.

If you get a x42, please update to let us know how the x42 compares to the razor. I've been wondering if the x42 with red dot would be better than the new high end LPVOs

Thanks!

If you get a x42, please update to let us know how the x42 compares to the razor. I've been wondering if the x42 with red dot would be better than the new high end LPVOs

Thanks!
I think the 42mm with RDS is going to be superior and if it were FFP it's what I'd buy, no question. Before rules changed in this match, the ATACR 4-16x with a RDS was money. A real rifle-scope is going to be better than an LPVO for what I need but nobody makes a great 10x.

Will a fixed 10X work? I love my SWFA 10x42. It's really a hunting device, but it is FFP and mil quad. Clear that and bulletproof.

USO's warranty would take care of issues. I talked to a guy who got one of the original run B-Series (discontinued for good reasons) and had to send it back for the common turret issues of the time and had good experiences with their customer service turn around time and treatment.

For reference, the original B-Series used aluminum internals on the turrets and were eventually replaced with steel internals due to common failures on zero stops and turrets slipping. They also had a windage knob screw that wasn't supposed to be unscrewed. He said he unscrewed it and even though it was user error, they fixed it within a week. Later run B-Series had updated turrets with steel internals. FWIW, the Foundation line launched in 2020 and did away with all these issues, using the tried and true ER3K turrets, as were used in the LR, ER, SN series scopes of old.

I've been using an FDN 25X for the last six months with only stellar things to say about it. Eyebox is tight in favor of expanded FOV. I'm currently looking at getting a 10x for my gasser once I sell my razor hd ii.

I have been messing with the FDN FX10 for close to a year now. I have it set up with an offset RDS and I really like this scope.

It is pretty much the only high quality full features 10x on the market at the moment, so you pay for it, but there is a lot to be said about the simplicity of a high end fixed power 10x scope.

I would have preferred a lower profile windage turrets (that cap is huge), so it does not get in the way of the offset red dot as much, but that is largely it. For me, it is a really capable precision gas gun set-up.

ILya

Id still look at the delta over the named scopes the 5x50x56 is still a better deal while saving money
and with the left over get yourself an adjustable scope base and have way more elevation that those others and still save money .
you might find a better deal out there I have not looked in a while best of luck with what ever you get regardless of the brands name .

Your fixed scope is first focal plane?

Yes. just like the famous SWFA 6x42 mil quad. One of the most hunt-friendly pointing devices on the planet. One of the best non-illuminated reticles. And one of the few sub-$1000 scopes that won't lose POI if you drop it. You can also dial all day long and maintain POI and RTZ.

Last edited:
Yes. just like the famous SWFA 6x42. FFP mil quad. One of the most hunt-friendly pointing devices on the planet. One of the best non-illuminated reticles. And one of the few sub-$1000 scopes that won't lose POI if you drop it. You can also dial all day long and maintain POI and RTZ.

I think his point is that it’s a fixed power scope. The reticle’s position doesn’t matter since you’re not changing the magnification at all because it’s physically impossible to do… :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Yondering
I think his point is that it’s a fixed power scope. The reticle’s position doesn’t matter since you’re not changing the magnification at all because it’s physically impossible to do… :LOL:

:)

Worse thing is I was wrong. Not that it matters, but 6x42 & 10x42 SWFA scopes are 2nd focal plane. I think there is some optical clarity reason for this, but my knowledge is incomplete. Might just be easier/cheaper to manufacture or more reliable. For fixed, I'm pretty sure it's all of the above.

Last edited:
:)

Worse thing is I was wrong. Not that it matters, but 6x42 & 10x42 SWFA scopes are 2nd focal plane. I think there is some optical clarity reason for this, but my knowledge is incomplete. Might just be easier/cheaper to manufacture or more reliable. For fixed, I'm pretty sure it's all of the above.

It is physically easier to manufacture a reticle cell for the SFP designs. The pattern is larger, so non-uniformities are less visible and contamination is less prominent.

ILya

Reactions: Mike Islander