• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

11.3” “Mini Recce” to 1000 yards

Jackalope

OI! Boys not Soy Boys
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2017
Boise, ID
Took my mini out to 1000 yards today. Started at 300 and went to 4,6, and finally 1000. Couldn’t be more impressed with the Wilson 11.3” barrel, NX8 and the 77TMK.

Here’s the view at 300. Target was a 2/3 steel IPSC and hits were boringly easy once I figured out the wind hold. It was blowing pretty good so was holding a full 2 Mils already.

2T9nAlO.jpg

400 wasn’t too much different than 300, but it really started getting interesting at 600. Dialed 9 Mils of elevation and held 4.5 Mils for wind. Hits were still very obvious visually and audibly and it seemed the round still had some decent energy.

3pRA0gy.jpg

I wasn’t planning on taking the rifle out this far but was happy with the rifles performance so decided to give it a shot.

cRcFfth.jpg

That’s a long way!

jC1N8yu.jpg

Dialed up 14 Mils of elevation and was chasing the wind hold between 8 and 10 Mils. The NX8’s reticle covered a large portion of the target at that distance but bullet impacts were fairly consistent. I made 4 hits out of 20 and the misses bracketed the target much closer than I would’ve anticipated. hits still wiggles the target but were no longer audible. The range card generated by KAC’s BulletFlight app was dead on.

yFmrwkL.png

BulletFlight also calculated the velocity and energy of the TMK on target. 1075 FPS and 200 ft pounds of energy. Too close to determine if the bullet was trans sonic but there weren’t any sideways hits on the target so they either stayed supersonic or handled the transition well.

pizbWop.jpg

I also took the Mark 23 out. It’s boringly accurate within 25 yards so I took it out to 100 to see if I could make the hits. 2/22 connected so I think I was a little beyond my limit 😅.

2BujGt9.jpg

Overall a rad morning and I was very impressed with the mini recce as a whole!

dd6ORsv.jpg

We took a buddy of mine out to my neighbors ranch and he was hitting steel at 1100 with a good crosswind/45 degree wind (between 9-16 mph). He was shooting hand loads 80 grain and single feeding them out of a 16", so you with an 11" is extremely impressive

Thanks! I think good bullet technology is really pushing the limits of the cartridge. I’m sure the elevation gave me a bit of an edge too.

i posted bad info...

Last edited:
Was working on one of my uppers this morning and had the nx8 off, so I threw it on my mk18 upper for shits and giggles. Now I'm actually kind of curious how it shoots. The mini recce concept is interesting.

20210221_113232.jpg

This post reminds me of how badly I want to make a mini clone of my 18" SPR type rifle, using Rainier's 12.5" SDM fluted barrel as the magic maker, with a 1-8x or 1-10x on top. I know it's kinda dumb, but that's never stopped me before.

Looks awesome. If you spend a little time with it, the optic may not find its way back home.
Very possible! It's a complete demill mk18 upper with an unknown full auto round count - will be fun to see what it can do with some 77 grain hand loads.

Reactions: Jackalope
This post reminds me of how badly I want to make a mini clone of my 18" SPR type rifle, using Rainier's 12.5" SDM fluted barrel as the magic maker, with a 1-8x or 1-10x on top. I know it's kinda dumb, but that's never stopped me before.

Sounds awesome to me. Especially if you plan on running it suppressed. Mines just about an inch longer than a pinned 14.5.

dO9AGP8.jpg

Nice work. I reach out to 575 on a 10” plate inside a car with my BA 12.5” govt profile and 77s on a regular if someone helps spot on a windy day. A lot of fun. 1000 is impressive. I’d be hard pressed to spot that.

Thanks for posting these awesome results. I love slinging 77smk/tmk out of my 18 in WOA spr barreled setup.

I need to work up a super sonic load for my 10.5 .300 BO that has a match grade Nordic Components barrel.

I am also building a shorty 6.5CM AR10 ........Wilson Combat 16 in barrel is ordered but they are behind a bit

I think a lot of people under estimate how much juice you can squeeze out of shorter setups if you are squeezing properly 😉

Nice work. I reach out to 575 on a 10” plate inside a car with my BA 12.5” govt profile and 77s on a regular if someone helps spot on a windy day. A lot of fun. 1000 is impressive. I’d be hard pressed to spot that.Thanks for posting these awesome results. I love slinging 77smk/tmk out of my 18 in WOA spr barreled setup.
My pleasure! Fortunately, it was a dry “moon dust” back stop without any foliage to obscure impacts. Would’ve been pretty difficult otherwise.

I need to work up a super sonic load for my 10.5 .300 BO that has a match grade Nordic Components barrel.

I am also building a shorty 6.5CM AR10 ........Wilson Combat 16 in barrel is ordered but they are behind a bit

I think a lot of people under estimate how much juice you can squeeze out of shorter setups if you are squeezing properly 😉
I certainly didn’t think it would do as well as it did. Do I consider it a 1000 yard rifle? Hell no, but solidified the fact that it owns 0-400 yards and I can get a little more out of it if necessary.

Very impressive. What app is that?
The Ballistic app is Knights Armament BulletFlight. Map app is OnX maps.

Ive taken an 11.5 out to about 650 with a vortex razor 1-6. 1000 that is nice for that short barrel and optic set up.

Thank you! I’m in northern Arizona.

Hey Jack, just so you know I got a Federal citation\USFS, shooting at that 1000Y berm. Then the bastards started harassing all the locals out there saying they were only allowed to shoot from the 200Y berm (even though that road goes right across it). This was 12 years ago but I bet the Feds still check there sometimes to generate revenue and make outlaws out of citizens at what used to be the locals go-to long range spot.

And to think we used to have rifle matches there all the time and an annual 1000Y match. :mad:

Last edited:
  • Angry
This puts a huge smile on my face - that's great shooting, and a really cool opportunity to show just how capable short barrelled ARs are at hitting targets at distance.

Hey Jack, just so you know I got a Federal citation\USFS, shooting at that 1000Y berm. Then the bastards started harassing all the locals out there saying they were only allowed to shoot from the 200Y berm (even though that road goes right across it). This was 12 years ago but I bet the Feds still check there sometimes to generate revenue and make outlaws out if citizens at what used to be the locals go-to long range spot.

And to think we used to have rifle matches there all the time and an annual 1000Y match. :mad:
Steve,

You may have been the one that showed me that spot. Many years ago before the switch to scout. I lost your info in the switch.

They cited you for shooting across the road? That’s the only thing I could really think of. It’s on public land, not in unit 11m, no occupied structures, solid backstop. Thats pretty fucking petty of them.

It could be but I haven't gone there in 6 years or so.

When the asshole issued me the citation he said it was for the road/trail right in front of the backstop area where we set targets up. He changed his tune during the hearing to the dirt road in front of the 1000Y(raised berm).

I was trying to explain to him that the "Flagstaff Long Shots" had service rifle matches there and also the annual 1000Y match where I was practicing that day. As well as we were required to carry insurance to have matches there. He refused to call in to ask.

The word got out and a war of sorts broke out between the club and the Feds. They just dug their heels in instead of being reasonable.

And people wonder why the Feds are disliked so. They can't temper any situation with reason for the sake of all.

A different situation - another friend that is wealthy volunteered to help repair trails out in the FS for a horse riding club. Some asshole USFS agent gave him a citation too. Pissed this guy off so much that he got into a legal battle for a decade. Money was no object so he just went for it. I'm glad he did.

At our Field Target air rifle match location, which we are required to lease from the FS, and "only" have matches at that location, well they pulled some SHIT on us too, they decided that we had to clean our tires off before we left the area because of a so called invasive weed problem. Fucking idiots! These weeds are all over Northern AZ. As if cleaning our tires off does one dam bit of good.

The latest is they told our club officer that we had to pick up the pellet splatter, lol. Yeah right??!! 🖕

Anywho, good shooting you did there.

Last edited:
Invasive weeds? Do they mean Californians?

What a bunch of dicks. I looked it up after your original post and it looks like someone was trying to get it looked at.

D54BB817-072C-4667-AE14-E90B7BC451FD.jpeg

That'd be nice if something actually came of it!

The other thing was that the G&F built the NASR. Of course they never even started the promised 800Y range.

This thread inspired me to stretch out the 13.7" today. While not as impressive as a 10.3" at 1000yds, I kept a very consistent 70% hit ratio on a 16" circle at 720 yards with a 6x scope. Wind had me chasing the edges of the target with 2-3.5 mils worth of constantly changing holds.

Yeah it seems like the only way to keep a decent hit percentage is to shoot about as fast as you can then adjust the wind hold when you miss every 3rd or 4th shot. I'm not good enough at wind to accurately call the 6mph swings I got every few seconds, so I just gotta hammer away as fast as I can till it changes.

Yup. At least the follow ups are quick with a 5.56 gas gun. It may not be all that practical but it sure is fun!

Do you have a photo of your setup?

Really impressive shooting! Makes me even more excited to get some range time with my AR. May I ask what sling is that OP?

Yup. At least the follow ups are quick with a 5.56 gas gun. It may not be all that practical but it sure is fun!

Do you have a photo of your setup?
It's my 7 year old sons future 3 gun rifle, nothing too fancy. Cheap Rosco barrel that surprisingly hammers sub 3/4 MOA groups all day and a PST G2 on top.
3435.jpeg
3437.jpeg
3436~3.jpeg

Got some video of it, this one is 5 hits in 8 shots, I think 4 of them are clearly audible with the volume up. After I took the video is when I decided that shooting faster equals more hits.

It's 5/16 AR550, being lighter and thinner it shakes and rings pretty well. Unless you hit at the top edge near the hanger, which mutes it and reduces movement quite a bit.
The 77gr Nosler CC's start at 2475fps, should be right around 1100fps with around 200 ft-lb of energy when it arrives. A pretty average 3 and five shot group at 70 yards for this rifle.
20201024_110632.jpg

Reactions: Leftie