• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

11.5" 5.56 Upper MID Length gas.

Been curious about this myself for a couple years. I've seen barrels for sale, almost always with a "suppressed use only" caveat, which always makes me want to try one unsuppressed because I'm silly like that. Never got around to it though.
I'm gonna say anything is possible if you want it enough.

Last I knew Lantac claimed to make their own barrels. That was a while ago though.
Keep us posted.

Reactions: bfoosh006
I have two 11.5" mid guns, one is new and I'm still working on the port size. Generally speaking, you can make them function without a silencer but, just like 10.5" carbine, they will be over gassed with a silencer. The old Micro MOA gas block would be good for this configuration.

I have two 11.5" mid guns, one is new and I'm still working on the port size. Generally speaking, you can make them function without a silencer but, just like 10.5" carbine, they will be over gassed with a silencer. The old Micro MOA gas block would be good for this configuration.
What about a Riflespeed gasblock? Easy to use though a bit expensive.

This upper is guaranteed to work with any gas system 🤣😉

Attachments

• IMG-2929_4740c14c-e4e7-4d42-bce7-2c4d6f48dfc9_900x.jpeg
    IMG-2929_4740c14c-e4e7-4d42-bce7-2c4d6f48dfc9_900x.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 29
What about a Riflespeed gasblock? Easy to use though a bit expensive.
The rifle speed gas block has the same shortcomings as the other needle valve blocks on the market. The old Micro MOA block was a dual port block that allowed custom port sizes and two positions for unsuppressed and suppressed. With that said, any adjustable gas block can work in this application.

The rifle speed gas block has the same shortcomings as the other needle valve blocks on the market. The old Micro MOA block was a dual port block that allowed custom port sizes and two positions for unsuppressed and suppressed. With that said, any adjustable gas block can work in this application.

Looks like a good well thought out product.
Website is dead the go out of business ?

Attachments

• GOV_6-904x700.jpeg
    GOV_6-904x700.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: mettee
I have an 11.5" 223wylde that functions great. I'll need to check gas length. Most likely carbine as mid should be to long? The closer to the muzzle it is you reduce buffer weight and vise versa on further from. No suppressor tho. If wanting to go liter bcg then a much heavier (possibly H4) will be needed.

My plan is too only short the heaviest as possible with 8t to reduce the ungodly amount of noise! Muzzle energy probably around 600-700, but haven't done the numbers yet?

Last edited:

Revisiting this comment, the gas block can't be longer than the journal or it will hang over the muzzle threads. An Aero adjustable gas block, for example, is too long.

Revisiting this comment, the gas block can't be longer than the journal or it will hang over the muzzle threads. An Aero adjustable gas block, for example, is too long.
The adjustment piece doesn't make contact with the barrel and does come in various lengths. It's not the block that's long, only the adjuster. The journal doesn't have anything to do with the muzzle or how far it is.

The adjustment piece doesn't make contact with the barrel and does come in various lengths. It's not the block that's long, only the adjuster. The journal doesn't have anything to do with the muzzle or how far it is.
I think you're missing the point. The adjuster will likely overhang the muzzle device. It's unlikely the adjuster ID and muzzle device OD will play nice together.

I know this is an advanced concept so I'll describe it more slowly so you'll understand. If any part of whichever gas block you choose, is longer than the journal, it will hit whatever you choose to screw on the muzzle threads. An Aero gas block, for example, has parts longer than the journal so it hangs over the muzzle threads. The parts that hang over the muzzle threads, hit the thing you choose to screw on the threads.

I bought a refrigerator last week. The box had warnings against climbing into the refrigerator. This is why.

I know this is an advanced concept so I'll describe it more slowly so you'll understand. If any part of whichever gas block you choose, is longer than the journal, it will hit whatever you choose to screw on the muzzle threads. An Aero gas block, for example, has parts longer than the journal so it hangs over the muzzle threads. The parts that hang over the muzzle threads, hit the thing you choose to screw on the threads.

I bought a refrigerator last week. The box had warnings against climbing into the refrigerator. This is why.
I'll say it even slower.........................are you having a journal within 2" of the muzzle........................or do you have an adjuster that is 6" that's not ................what moron has the journal that far out...............possibly on pistol lengths with a 4" barrel...................

I think you're missing the point. The adjuster will likely overhang the muzzle device. It's unlikely the adjuster ID and muzzle device OD will play nice together.
give me a gas system length along with barrel length for your reference

I have a lantac 11.5 that was 100% unsuppressed but I set it up to be a suppressed only upper. If it cycled unsuppressed it was incredibly overgassed with a can. Tuned down with a can it's very soft shooting but will not cycle enough to pick up a round unsuppressed.

With the ap gb reference here's a pic with a 22" barrel with +2 gas. No where near the muzzle!

Attachments

• 20231205_095235.jpg
    20231205_095235.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 27
I have a lantac 11.5 that was 100% unsuppressed but I set it up to be a suppressed only upper. If it cycled unsuppressed it was incredibly overgassed with a can. Tuned down with a can it's very soft shooting but will not cycle enough to pick up a round unsuppressed.
That's typical

I'll say it even slower.........................are you having a journal within 2" of the muzzle....

Did you read the thread title? You appear to just be randomly posting nonsense. 11.5" with mid length gas system. Do the math.

I'll edit and retract my comment as I was thinking of intermediate length instead of mid. I stand corrected as a mid gas (with 1.92" journal) w/ an adjuster forward of the gb (as stated) could interfere with muzzle. I checked the gas length on the 11.5 I have and it's carbine using a 2.96oz buffer.

Would something like this function reliably without a suppressor ?

Again MID-Length gas on a 11.5" barrel... dwell time just to danged short ?

https://www.aimsurplus.com/products/lantac-115in-223556-complete-ar15-utp-upper-receiver

Could a LtWt BCG help function ? ... Lighter buffer spring and buffer ?

Pretty curious since I have never seen a 11.5" Mid-length gas.
That's more like too much dwell time and not having enough barrel left for the gas. Lighter weight bullets moving faster than heavier 1's will have less time for the bcg to react. Time between port and muzzle is important for best function. Many years ago there was an semi-auto design with the port within 2" of the muzzle on a 16"+ barrel. I don't recall the type or the person who designed it? It functioned well from what I remember? Also don't recall if it was a piston or di operation?

I'll edit and retract my comment as I was thinking of intermediate length instead of mid. I stand corrected as a mid gas (with 1.92" journal) w/ an adjuster forward of the gb (as stated) could interfere with muzzle. I checked the gas length on the 11.5 I have and it's carbine using a 2.96oz buffer.
Even your retraction is retarded. Math is super hard. You can't have a 1.92" journal on a 11.5" mid gas.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Even your retraction is retarded. Math is super hard. You can't have a 1.92" journal on a 11.5" mid gas.
You actually can and you do the math! 11.5- 1.92 = 9.58 with a mid gas @ 9.3". So, yes you can without threads on muzzle! Probably not advised. You don't know as much as you think you do!

That is incorrect. I'm not sure you understand this stuff quite as well as you think.
Which dwell time are talking about...........chamber to port or port to muzzle? Figure out your terms......................................

Interesting deflection. Not a new tactic though, usually when someone comes in here trying to sound smart and gets caught with their pants down they resort to ad hominem nonsense. It's boring and uncreative, get a new strategy.

FWIW...its my understanding, and put in simple terms, Dwell time is dependent on barrel length after the gas port.

So a carbine length gas system on a 11.5" barrel has more dwell time than the mid-length on the same 11.5" barrel.

Port pressure is measured from the chamber to the gas port.

FWIW...its my understanding, and put in simple terms, Dwell time is dependent on barrel length after the gas port.

So a carbine length gas system on a 11.5" barrel has more dwell time than the mid-length on the same 11.5" barrel.

Port pressure is measured from the chamber to the gas port.
From being many forums people refer to dwell in both ways. Getting their understanding keeps from having wires crossed. You could start with a lite bcg as it'll reduce recoil unlike going lighter on buffer weight.
I "believe" Lantac uses Rosco barrels... I hope it is this one.
I ended up ordering it... I am also "silly" like that.

Quote... "The K9 11.5 offers a proprietary patrol length gas system that is smoother than carbine length, more reliable than mid-length. Features an optimized gas port to run reliably suppressed and/or unsuppressed."

https://www.roscomanufacturing.com/shop/barrels/k9-barrels/k9-11-5-kinetic-consulting-5-56-nato/
Now if it would state port size and location distance would be nice.

A buddy has the Roscoe 11.5 with the patrol gas system. It's not much shorter than a mid length tube. Less than an 1" difference is what he said when he measured the tubes.

Turns out it is a Mid-Length , I will post some pics later.

And the barrel profile does not look like the Rosco K9 at all.

If everything works out I will measure the gas port size, and post that info.

I ran the new build. It's a .750 journal .063" YHM gas block on a .095 port, 11.5" mid. It does not cycle M193 or M855 unsuppressed. It does cycle all of those and soft 223 with a suppressor. Opening the gas block to .068 would probably be enough. 35 degrees ambient.

Pics.. of the 11.5"

The first pic is of the tape measure pushed against the front of the gas block
2nd just kinda shows the limited space for a click Adj. GB ( SLR ish )
3rd Funny the gas tube is marked. We will see how long it remains readable.
IMG_0015.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0019.jpg

Pics.. of the 11.5"

The first pic is of the tape measure pushed against the front of the gas block
2nd just kinda shows the limited space for a click Adj. GB ( SLR ish )
3rd Funny the gas tube is marked. We will see how long it remains readable.
View attachment 8290967View attachment 8290969View attachment 8290971View attachment 8290972
Where the port is located is back about 1" from the front of the block. Gas port is about 2.5" from muzzle. That's to close. A light weight bcg might help?