• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

11" and 16.5" .308win w/ 11.25-11.75 Twist Barrels - Stability Issues?

SkyScrapin

Strictly Offensive Kit
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
Dallas, TX
strictlyoffensivekit.com
Need some input on my load development thought process. My altitude rarely ventures beyond 1,000 feet above sea level. I prefer to stay with Hodgdon powder when possible. I'd rather not waste time shooting paper and checking for keyholes if possible. On to the questions:

1) 11" inch 1:11.25 twist Bartlein .308 Winchester chambered to launch 135g SMKs .. bolt gun
-Do I run the risk of stability issues? This rifle is suppressed and I'm trying to avoid a potential baffle strike.
-I'm planning to use H322 and 135g SMKs. What other powder choices would you use?

2) 16.5" inch 1:11.75 twist (I cut down the factory barrel from an early post-14 AI AX) .308 Winchester chamber .. also a bolt gun
-My 22" PSR barrel stabilizes all of the following with a factory barrel and I'm not sure if this shorter 16.5" barrel will: Berger 185 Jug, Sierra 175 SMK, Hornady 175 A-Max. Problem is, I already loaded them and I'd rather not revert to pulling bullets if possible. Is there a high risk of keyholing?
-If the slower twist rate requires a lighter projectile than whats listed above, would a 150-155g projectile stabilize?
-Thinking this shorter barrel might require something a little faster than Varget for stability/velocity requirements. Looking for recommendations here.

What he say's ... That barrel in .308 win. covers all your bases from .30 cal. 110's to 175 weight bullets like a hammer .
On your .30 cal. 11.25 to 11.75 twist barrels . I have same barrels and it is so forgiving when chambered in .308 win , ( for example ) even when I am running the little short .30 , 110 grain v-max's and I jump them a mile to the Lands . It shoots those tiny short bullets Sub-MOA every group @ 100 yard .
on the 110's I don't even bother to measure the jump, because it doesn't matter . The bullet is so short and lightweight I have so little choice in COAL . So all I pay attention to ( imho ). bullet seating and neck tension is more important, and I seat them in to fill 3/4 of the Brass-neck length and call it good . Brass necked @ .331 .
Now it will shoot them stable, ( no key-hole ) but powder choice/burn rate . It makes a big difference in how it well it will group on paper . loose or tight . Bullet weight to burn rate . ( for example ) Lightweight to Heavy bullet . I run Reloader 15 with 175's . But I will run Reloader 10x with the 110's .