• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

11 year-old niece--CZ Scout? Recommendations?

stiletto raggio

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I didn't get to see my niece on mid-tour leave due to a conflicting obligation, so my sister (her mother) thought it would be good for us to spend some time together when I got back. She suggested (somewhat to my surprise) that I teach her to shoot.

Being a large guy, my first .22 was an adult-sized gun. She is five feet tall already, but I still think a youth-sized gun would be best for her to learn on. After reading numerous threads on this site and others regarding youth rifles, I am leaning heavily toward the CZ Scout for several reasons.

1) It is a repeater that comes with a single-shot adapter. This means that once she has learned basic proficiency, she can use the 5- and 10-round magazines. I think this makes more sense than buying a single shot (which I doubt would hold her attention for too many range sessions).

2) It is a quality gun, built on the same receiver as an "adult" rifle, and has a reputation for accuracy. It does not look or feel like a toy and having something that shoots well will encourage her.

3) Availability of factory peep sights. The CZ factory peep sights look to be of high quality, with a click-adjustable rear and a fiber-optic front. Teaching a kid to shoot with fuzzy, black-on-black open sights seems far from ideal.

As I said, she is already five feet tall, so I think the LOP and overall size of the rifle is appropriate. Is there anything else I should be considering before I plunk down $400 or so on a training rifle, sights and a couple mags?

Re: 11 year-old niece--CZ Scout? Recommendations?

Sounds like you have a very solid plan and have thought it out well!
laugh.gif
I also greatly encourage getting youth into the shooting sports so personally I feel you are doing her a great service and it excites me to no end to know that she was who suggested that you teach her how to shoot
smile.gif
Just make sure to keep it fun for her or she may eventually lose interest. Other than that I wish you two the best of luck!!

The CZ Scout is THE best youth rifle you can buy bar none. We have an 11yr old at our monthly tactical 22 match that beats grown men with his Scout, It is every bit as accurate as the grown up versions even out to 240yds. If she loses interest you can always restock the Scout, thread the muzzle and install a can.

I think you have thought of just about everything to get her started. The CZ Scout is perfect. Maybe toss in a small swinging reactive type target to shoot at. Kids definately perfer shooting things that move instead of paper.

I love the CZ Scout just as much as my 4 and 6 year old boys love it. It is simply an outstanding .22. I topped it off with Leupold's awesome Rimfire EFR. It's accuracy is phenomenal. You will not be disappointed with the Scout.

+1

I have the same setup only have a Leupold 2-7 Rimfire instead of the EFR.

I am really glad to see all the positive responses to the Scout. I had not read anything bad about it to date but I figured I would throw my selection and my rationale out there for everyone to check.

I know a scope would be easier for her to hit with, but I feel like starting off with a scope might limit her later. I am not going to be able to make this a really regular event and I figure that, much like learning to drive on a standard, it is easier to move "up" to a scope than to move back "down" to irons. Of course, we will be starting at close range (7-15 yards) and I will zero the rifle before our range trip together.

If I was in your shoes, I'd get a full sized rifle. At 5 ft, the full-sized stock will fit ok if shot from the bench or prone. In a year or so she'll hit a growth spurt and it'll come to fit for positional shooting. She'll out-grow the scout in no time.

Perhaps I should buy an adult stock to retrofit to the Scout later on? I gather you can use any 452 stock on the Scout.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stiletto raggio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am really glad to see all the positive responses to the Scout. I had not read anything bad about it to date but I figured I would throw my selection and my rationale out there for everyone to check.

I know a scope would be easier for her to hit with, but I feel like starting off with a scope might limit her later. I am not going to be able to make this a really regular event and I figure that, much like learning to drive on a standard, it is easier to move "up" to a scope than to move back "down" to irons. Of course, we will be starting at close range (7-15 yards) and I will zero the rifle before our range trip together. </div></div>

Then I highly recommend CZ's Ultra Lux. I bought it as well for my boys (Cough, Cough, for me). I'm sure that an 11 year old will do very well with it. The Ultra Lux balances superbly. Its 28.5" barrel makes for shooting with iron sights a breeze. Your niece will easily ring out spinning-targets out to 50 yards and beyond. With this in mind, 7-15 yard targets will be too easy to hit which is great because she will get immediate positive feedback. The last thing you want is for her to be missing targets and in turn have her lose interest.

Good Luck!

Irons are better for a new shooter to learn off of in my opinion. A scope just adds to the "precision" but if you can already be proficient with irons you can easily learn the basics of scoped shooting. I personally learned to shoot with open sights and shotgun beads but never had a chance for proper aperture sights which I do regret. But I feel that once she's good with irons the skill will quickly and easily transfer over to the scope and she will be able to extend her horizons with ease. As far as the stock goes, smaller is safer. But she probably will outgrow it soon, so you might wish to start looking into adjustable LOP units or even a replacement stock when she is ready to tackle the extra length. But I say stick with the scout, if she out grows it then she out grows it
smile.gif

Papagallos,

I think I may end up with an Ultra Lux for me if I am sufficiently impressed with the Scout. I do think I am going to go with the Scout first because even though she is tall she is really lanky and I would like to have something that will be manageable for position shooting.

Terror,

Agreed on the issues of iron sights. Also, I introduced my office to Mall Ninja today. It was a great success. One of my NCOs kept looking at me and say "This has to be fake! No way this guy is that much of an idiot!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stiletto raggio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terror,

Agreed on the issues of iron sights. Also, I introduced my office to Mall Ninja today. It was a great success. One of my NCOs kept looking at me and say "This has to be fake! No way this guy is that much of an idiot!"</div></div>
I'm glad you all got a kick out of that like I did! And tell your NCO to rest assured that it's true
wink.gif
I wish the original threads were still around but alas they are not. I'm just glad I found that website on here, truly brings a tear to my eye
grin.gif

Keep in mind that CZ is turning out some really nice wood on their rifles, even if it is Birch. They aren't staining them orange as before. Now they are finished with more of a walnut stain. You just gotta love the amount of BANG that you get for your buck with CZs.

There are grown men who like the scout just the way it is as a survival rifle. 12in LOP isn’t that bad.

Value is one of the biggest reasons I decided to go with a CZ. Sure, a Cricket costs a lot less, but after teh first range trip, it is pretty much useless. The CZ is a rifle you can grow into. I will probably just keep the Scout around for her little brother, who should be ready to shoot in a few more years. If she really enjoys shooting, "Uncle Bud" is more than happy to keep her in rifles and ammo.

God bless "Uncle Bud". I don't have kids, and I just bought my grand niece a Marlin 39. She's 8 and dad will teach her and later her little brother to shoot.

She is growing up in a nice suburb of Chicago. Her dad is a city guy and hates guns, so I figured I would teach her the skills and let her decide for herself is guns and shooting are such bad things. Fortunately, I have the support of her mother, and her dad knows that I know what I'm doing.

Hopefully she (and someday, her little brother) will enjoy shooting. Even if it is something they only do with me, at least they will learn proper safety and respect as children and won't be afraid of guns as adults.

The scout is a prefect starter....