• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

110 grain bullet allright for a M1a??

johndoe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2005
Nevada
Wondering if a Sierra Varmiter 110 grain pill
would function in a M1a. I have bunch of these
bullets and wanted to load something lite
for the wife.

Thanks for any help.

Re: 110 grain bullet allright for a M1a??

if ur talkin bout the stubby HP ones...

beware, u may never want to shoot match bullets in ur m1a @ 100yds again. mine lovesem, w a midrange charge of any powder ive tried

No. Repeat, NO. Load the recipes that give you the specifications that the Gumment required. Otherwise you may damage the rifle. If you turn off the gas port and operate it by hand, OK. Otherwise, if you want it to function as a semi auto, stick with the 50,000 psi loads with the powders and pressures (and pressure curves) it is designed for..If you want reduced loads/recoil...go to a bolt gun. JMHO

+1 on naval person's advice.

I think the powder is likely more important than the projectile to achieve the proper pressure curve, but you CAN damage the oprod with improper gas pressures.

Never loaded 110gr loads, but I do shoot 155gr FMJ pulled bullets for plinking frequently over 46gr of 4064. Recoil is very mild.
The 155 pulled were from GI rounds, and 4064 is one of the standard powders for m1a.

Your gun may do fine with those bullets, but I have no means of determining "in spec" rounds other than following general guidelines for loading for gas guns.

What powder are you using? If you try out those 110gr, I would definitely use one of the 4895s or the 4064 which is the top end of burn rate to use in a M1a.

Hope that helps,
madd0c

I shot a few 95gr rngc using H322 out of my M1 and it cycled for me.
I have no idea what pressures were but they all left contrails.
I was young and dumb.
madd is right about 4064 but they used about 10% more with the 150's IIRC