• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1100 yards... does it count?

islandermyk

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2011
Aurora, Colorado
1100 yards with a .308.. I even hit steel with 147gr Surplus ammo.

I am humbled by the outcome of how the day went. I shot 147gr Surplus ammo, 168gr Black hills, and 175gr reloads. First time ever shooting this far. Before this the farthest I've shot was about 775 yards.
It sure was a lot of fun trying to follow the round, make adjustments, and watching steel targets dance.

from behind the target looking out to cars and people
IMAG0367.jpg

IMAG0373.jpg

Re: 1100 yards... does it count?

OUT STANDING

Keep up the great shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OUT STANDING

Keep up the great shooting.

</div></div>

thanks man... it's fun and humbling...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks fun!!

and great shooting! </div></div>

interesting and a lot of fun... lots of wind shifting from left to right, front and back... there were good moments when the winds calmed the heck down.
I had the hardest time tracking some of my rounds. A lot of mirage out there as well...

Thanks!

Good shooting, especially with that size of target you had. You'll find that 1100-yards becomes easy over time with the 175's, with the wind being the only variable. We shoot at 1200-yards all the time, but then again we have 2 TO 3k-ft elevation benifit over you guys on the East side of the mountain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good shooting, especially with that size of target you had. You'll find that 1100-yards becomes easy over time with the 175's, with the wind being the only variable. We shoot at 1200-yards all the time, but then again we have 2 TO 3k-ft elevation benifit over you guys on the East side of the mountain. </div></div>

very cool...
175's are a lot more predictable than the other lighter rounds... it almost seems like you can steer that round into your target..

Great shooting. How much further can you stretch the distance out there or do you have your target on top of a ridge?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iron Worker1177</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great shooting. How much further can you stretch the distance out there or do you have your target on top of a ridge? </div></div>

partially up a ridge...

I'm pretty sure there's a spot you can go out to a mile where the .338, .50 BMG guys go to... but I can't confirm any of this... for now
smile.gif

good times indeed...

Had a volunteer bring the propane grill, and had the rest bring a pack of Brat's of their like and a pack of buns... drinks (non-alcoholic beverages) and other snacks were brought too.

we had that whole spot to ourselves so we had all kinds of shooting going on (clay pigeons, tactical stuff with AR's, AK's, etc..).

Good times indeed...

I've shot to 1k with 168's with pretty good results, but haven't tried anything as light as the 147's to go that far, or farther.

Good shooting and I'd say it counts.

How did the green workout as your target color? Could you read your hits?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did the green workout as your target color? Could you read your hits? </div></div>

In all honesty. It only helped me spot it/the target. I believe I was pushing the scope to its fullest of what it's capable of... I was seeing a lot more mirage's than anything out that far. My turrets were 3 moa from being maxed out on elevation. I'm currently using a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44...
At 700 yards though... the green paint did work well that I was able to read out my hits.

The 147gr hit.... It looks like at some point in flight to the 1100 yard target it started tumbling...

IMAG0364-1.jpg

it is possible with your 147gr that it wasnt gyroscopically stable after it left the muzzle depending on your barrel twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thumper49802</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it is possible with your 147gr that it wasnt gyroscopically stable after it left the muzzle depending on your barrel twist.</div></div>

I would say anything was possible. My GAP is an 11.25 barrel twist.
At 700+ yards it was hitting steel just fine. I didn't have the 1100 yard key holing effect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shamrockcattle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice shooting </div></div>
Thanks! It was a lot of fun getting out that far
smile.gif

man thats awsm. this coming weekend is going to be my first bout 1000yd +. will be shooting 168s. anxious to see how they perform, or better yet, how i perform

What do you mean by "does it count", good job rocking the m80 ball to by the way. You bet it counts, congrats and welcome to the club.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cmonroe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you mean by "does it count", good job rocking the m80 ball to by the way. You bet it counts, congrats and welcome to the club.</div></div>

Thank you!

The "does it count?" thing... I was just making sure
smile.gif

I haven't heard much or not anything of anyone having fun trying to hit sh*t out that far with m80/147gr surplus stuff. Thought I'd give it a shot, lol!

Thanks for the welcome... cheers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">man thats awsm. this coming weekend is going to be my first bout 1000yd +. will be shooting 168s. anxious to see how they perform, or better yet, how i perform</div></div>

Most importantly... in my honest opinion. Enjoy yourself out there.. and try not to get to technical... I sure hell didn't, lol!
You won't have a problem getting out there with them 168's for sure.
Enjoy and shoot safe!

Nice area to shoot and good shooting.

Trigger time is quality time Ohrahh!

Tumble or not you hit it and that counts... I know the excitement getting my 300WM to hit 1500. Supposedly on the ballistics program my round goes subsonic at about 1480 yards and unstablizes but I figure 20 yards of 190gn tumble would still to the job. However you hit it - IT'S A HIT!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtnhntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice area to shoot and good shooting.

Trigger time is quality time Ohrahh!</div></div>

Thank you! As much as I enjoy how open and beautiful the area is it's always fun getting some good trigger time in the unpredictable conditions... always looking forward to more trigger time for sure!

Cheers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: distantplinker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tumble or not you hit it and that counts... I know the excitement getting my 300WM to hit 1500. Supposedly on the ballistics program my round goes subsonic at about 1480 yards and unstablizes but I figure 20 yards of 190gn tumble would still to the job. However you hit it - IT'S A HIT!</div></div>

Hahahaha! Right on... thanks man!
It wasn't easy hitting that little 18" tall steel target that far with that 147gr... and it was much of surprise to me like winning the lotto or something, but I wouldn't know anything about winning the lotto... but I sure did feel lucky, lol!

Cheers!

... and just for good measure... I went out today and did it again , lol!

... but this time with temperatures near the 90's... I had to adjust from 20x down to 14x just to see the 18 inch target... all I could see is a blur from the mirage. Winds were blowing left, right, and from behind me... by no means was this an easy day to shoot out to 1100 yards. I think I blew through 50+ rounds to only hit it 5 times.. lol!
I sure learned a lot though... good times for sure!

IMAG0426.jpg