• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

110gr SMK's in 30/06

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
I have a Winchester Featherweight that tips the scales at about 7.5 pounds. The 155's and heavier bullets are just not a lot of fun to shoot. I wanted a plinking load and began using the accuracy load from the Sierra manual. It is a bunch of RL15(I forget the exact chg wt) under the 110 Varminter. Accuracy is not bad for that light rifle and short, light bullet . . . runs around 1.0 to 1.5" at 100yds.

The problem I have is that I am getting soot all over the length of the fired case, even the extractor groove is dirty. I initially loaded the cases with Lee collet dies, but went to regular RCBS dies. I thought the neck tension might be an issue. No dice, still sooty.

Anyone have any ideas?

Re: 110gr SMK's in 30/06

nashlaw,

Sooty cartridge cases are a sign of too low pressure. You either need to add more powder (if safe), or go to another powder. Personally, with that light of a bullet, I would try something with a burn rate similar to IMR3031.

Don

Re: 110gr SMK's in 30/06

Thanks, USSR. I was hoping you or Shane would chime in. I was leaning for low pressure, but thought I might be able to increase the neck tension and cure the ill.

The load is not the manual max, so I will bump it up a bit.

Thanks,

david