• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

115 DTAC Quality Control Lot #11017?

Senor_Barney

Play stupid games, Win stupid prizes
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 25, 2020
    Northern California
    Here is what I found in a box of 115 DTACs last night:

Left is a proper 115

Right is something that somehow this slipped though quality control at Sierra / David Tubbs. Its short, missing the tail, and has the wrong ogive.

I have 2K and have only sorted through ~50. Anyone come across something similar before?

Lot #11017

P.S. No....this is not some other bullet from my bench that slipped into the pile. The bullets are all on a different part of the garage ;-)

20220927_084025.jpg
    20220926_214606.jpg

• Wow
    Reactions: TEUFEL820
    It's not a disformed bullet, it's just a different bullet weight that ended up in the box. After your final count you either ended up 1 short or got a bonus slug. As they say, "Shit happens!"

Reactions: spife7980
    Do this long enough and you find that statistics catches up with all of us... There are zero Fortune 500 sized companies who have never delivered a defect. Sooner or later you are the one who gets hit with one, be it bullets, powder, primers, brass, etc., etc., and you pray the consequence is low, and are grateful the likelihood is low.

It is possible there is a midcap corporation with a perfect record that I don't know about, but not likely to be one who has ever delivered much.

DT is a cottage outfit, so he is not immune to things like this and will probably make things right if informed.

This escape is obvious to the naked eye, which is much better than one that is hidden from view and costs you much more damage. That was luck.

The key to situations like this, are how the company reacts to being informed and how they remedy the situation for their customer.

Reactions: ACard
    Likely an isolated occurrence. So glad you called SSS to inform us:rolleyes: . SSS sells a quality product at more than a competitive price point.
    I see Midway has reduced their 105 Berger to $.40 from $.50 something. Still doesnt touch the DTAC 115 pricing.
    DTUBB

I had an issue with DTACs, emailed you, and never received a response.

The 115 DTAC can be difficult to make however all the lots that SSS receives have met or exceeded the test tunnel accuracy standard. Also if you desire to buy 10,000 or more SSS can send you 100 bullets out of more than 1 lot so you can choose. No one has that option that I am aware of. You will need to do your testing in a timely manner so as not to impede our bullet shipping outflow.
    Dtubb

Last edited:
    Lot to lot variation used to bother me. But I’ve found if I need to change lots mid life of a barrel it’s usually a small tweak to get things shooting well again.

The 115 DTAC can be difficult to make however all the lots that SSS receives have met or exceeded the test tunnel accuracy standard. Also if you desire to buy 10,000 or more SSS can send you 100 bullets out of more than 1 lot so you can choose. No one has that option that I am aware of. You will need to do your testing in a timely manner so as not to impede our bullet shipping outflow.
    Dtubb

It always strikes me odd that a vendor is willing to discuss problems when they're slagged publicly but not when they're emailed privately. I don't think I'll buy 10k DTACS to solve a problem that doesn't exist with other manufacturers. .020" of variation is seconds quality with most other manufacturers and probably why you didn't bother responding in the first place.

Lot to lot variation used to bother me. But I’ve found if I need to change lots mid life of a barrel it’s usually a small tweak to get things shooting well again.

I said inconsistent lots, not lot to lot variation. I measured .020" of variation base to ogive in a 500rd box of 115 DTACs. Of course lot to lot variation was horrible too but they're DTAC and we all expect that.