• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 115 DTAC twist

stenger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2009
western Pa
Whats the recommended twist rate for DTAC 115. i will be shooting around 1000 feet alt. out of a 6-284. i am running a 1/8 twist in a kreiger

Re: 115 DTAC twist

You should be fine. True 8 twist barrels, as the Kreiger cut rifled barrel is, will stabilize the 115 DTAC. Add to that the good amount of velocity you will be getting and you shouldn't have a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should be fine. True 8 twist barrels, as the Kreiger cut rifled barrel is, will stabilize the 115 DTAC. Add to that the good amount of velocity you will be getting and you shouldn't have a problem. </div></div>

I second that. I run them out of a 8 twist in a 6x47 and have no problems at all.

Is there any disadvantage to going with a 7 twist with a cartridge capable of 3300 fps, just in case there comes along any "bigger" 6mm bullets?

No not unless your wanting to shoot them out past slower then super sonic speeds. Mine was working fine pushing them at 3050 out to 1k.

As a rule of accuracy the slowest twist you can use and still get full stabilization is what will shoot the best. Its not always this way cause you see alot of people getting light bullets to work in a 11 twist 308 but for supreme accuracy the slower or less torque you can put on the bullet the better it will perform if still stable.

I'd be worried about tearing the bullet apart with that fast a twist and moving that fast. Fastest I would go with would be a 7.5 twist.

Interesting thread, I have a 243 that the barrel is getting tired on and was thinking of getting a Krieger to replace. Now I have some insight into what twist to use.