• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

115 DTACs. 6 CM. What is realistic velocity?

Danattherock

Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2017
    Been shooting 108 eld's at around 3000 in two 6 creeds, good results. Alpha Munitions 6 CM srp brass, 39.6-40 gr H4350, 205Ms, at 15-20 off.

Recently got a Dasher, it's going 2985 fps with 105 hybrids. So wanting separation among calibers now, and a more potent 6 creed load.

115 dtac came to mind. I have 110 smk and 110 jlk on hand already, but have not used. 1:7.5T 26" Rock Creek is new blank I'm looking for new diet. Curious what velocity is typical.

Basically, trying to compare AB mock ups in app to see if juice is worth the squeeze. Wind performance my only goal here. Tentative plan, Dasher for fair weather, mid range matches. Hot 6 Creed for windy or longer courses of fire.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dan
    NC

IMG_20180823_113621406.jpg

Reactions: smtitmelevi
    There is a guy around here pushing moly'd Dtacs at just under 3200fps. I've been beside him and smart money says it's high on pressure, but it does not show it.
    I would say 3075 would be a decent number to shoot for. I can also say, the 110 will yield more speed at a lower pressure than a dtac, and 3100 should be comfortable. With that though, H4350 while being a rock solid performer, is not what I'd classify as a performance powder, there is other powders that will yield quite a bit higher velocities if you care to dick with it.

Reactions: Danattherock
    Tubb says he can run 3200 FPS for 30 plus rounds in his 6XC brass. I would never call him a liar, but it is truly amazing if it’s doable.

I can’t even get near that number with 105 Hybrid without pressure signs in my Creedmoor.

Yeah, no kidding man. If I could run dtacs at 3050-3080 and get 8-10 firings, that would be enough to make me happy. It would also burn out three 6 Creedmoor barrels, lol. But may be a pretty potent load for windy matches, which is my goal. I also have 2k JLK 110'S to play with, but dtacs are in stock so may try some.

Dan

Keep in mind that in order to accurately /consistently shoot 3200 fps I am using a 32' Schneider P5 barrel in a TUBBGUN platform. There is world of difference between a Remington/Mauser style action coupled with a 28" or shorter barrel and my equipment.

Thanks David! I ordered 1500 bare to use with next 6 Creedmoor blank, Brux 26" 1:7.5T MTU. Hoping for 3020-3060.

Looking forward to trying them out, heard great things from many fellow PRS friends. Hope you guys enjoyed Arena.

Dan Hall
    NC

Dan,

I have shot out 5 barrels using hornady 6 Creedmoor brass, h4350, and 115 dtacs. All ran the same load from 3025-3050. All barrels were 26" Bartlein barrels. I typically found my best accuracy around 2950 and 3025 fps. You should be able to hit your 3020 goal with acceptable pressure in a 26" barrel.

Dan,

I have shot out 5 barrels using hornady 6 Creedmoor brass, h4350, and 115 dtacs. All ran the same load from 3025-3050. All barrels were 26" Bartlein barrels. I typically found my best accuracy around 2950 and 3025 fps. You should be able to hit your 3020 goal with acceptable pressure in a 26" barrel.

Thanks man. Appreciate it. Any suggestions on freebore. This barrel will be specifically for dtacs. 1:7.5 twist. Read that around 150 should work well, but no personal experience.

Yea, somewhere around that should be good. Honestly, i found the dtacs to be very seating depth insensitive. Of the 5 barrels i shot out, 2 were from Jeff Hayes (formerly flounder at GAP), 1 was from Mark at SAC, and 2 from Joel Pendergraft. So, 3 different reamers but id assume they were similar spec. I just loaded them .020 off the lands and let it rip.

I’m very interested in this overall topic as well.

What would you, or anyone with knowledge about this, do to get as much velocity and accuracy as possible from a 6 Creedmoor or 6XC set up to run exclusively 115 dtacs from a 26” barrel as far as reamer, powders, or anything really that is important for maximizing velocity and accuracy.

Keep in mind that in order to accurately /consistently shoot 3200 fps I am using a 32' Schneider P5 barrel in a TUBBGUN platform. There is world of difference between a Remington/Mauser style action coupled with a 28" or shorter barrel and my equipment.

I'm running close to max at 3050-3080fps for my current barrel. 1:7 26" Bartlein. Hornady brass, H4350, plain 115gr DTAC, Fed210M.
    I also have a good load with all the same except for a case full of H1000. Still going strong at 1550rnds.

when i shot a 6CM thats all i shot was the 115g DTACs...5 24" hawkhill barrels 7.5 twists all with H4350 running 3025 to 3075 but 3050 seemed to be the sweet spot.