• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

12.5” R700 Pistol - Factory

Saw that just a couple of days ago on one of the Outdoor channel shows but couldn't find anything about it at the time. Pretty sure it's the PCR chassis w/ a cap over the buffer tube hole. I'll stick with my XP100.

there's another thread on it. but...it'd be fun with a custom action and pistol brace

Way to go Remington... clearly the way back from bankruptcy is to add more sku's and products to the lineup that only appeal to a very small market. While your products in the exploding precision rifle market, a market you should be dominating, are instead getting harder and harder to recommend.

Simply Bravo!

Way to go Remington... clearly the way back from bankruptcy is to add more sku's and products to the lineup that only appeal to a very small market. While your products in the exploding precision rifle market, a market you should be dominating, are instead getting harder and harder to recommend.

Simply Bravo!
number of people on this forum who would buy a R700? versus the number who would buy this chassis for a super short pistol/truck gun?

they still sell how many hunting rifles to the average dude? they're fine for a whitetail at 75 yards

I'm not gonna lie, part of me wants to put a pistol brace on a 308 and have the littlest truck gun ever.

No reason you couldn't. Start with a custom action and you don't even have to deal with NFA wait times.

Reactions: Bender
number of people on this forum who would buy a R700? versus the number who would buy this chassis for a super short pistol/truck gun?

they still sell how many hunting rifles to the average dude? they're fine for a whitetail at 75 yards

To clarify, the number of people that would buy a bolt action pistol on this forum and in general is likely a fairly small group.

No argument that 700's are fine deer rifles, but you're own argument of "whitetail at 75" is very telling of how far the 700 has fallen in the eyes of the "precision" community. Don't get me wrong it's fine to sell cheap deer rifles and that might be a sustainable business model for them now that they have reduced their debt obligation through bankruptcy.

Yet, bringing small niche products to market while the fastest growing piece of the pie is slipping further and further away still seems foolish to me.

To clarify, the number of people that would buy a bolt action pistol on this forum and in general is likely a fairly small group.

No argument that 700's are fine deer rifles, but you're own argument of "whitetail at 75" is very telling of how far the 700 has fallen in the eyes of the "precision" community. Don't get me wrong it's fine to sell cheap deer rifles and that might be a sustainable business model for them now that they have reduced their debt obligation through bankruptcy.

Yet, bringing small niche products to market while the fastest growing piece of the pie is slipping further and further away still seems foolish to me.
Fastest growing. Compared to the number of deer hunters. It's nothing. Pick a decent hunting state and they probably sell more hunting license than all PRS/ NRL/etc shooters in the country

Its been a LONG time since anyone here relied on big green for a precision rifle. Outside of Tacops. We have customs with way better features than Remington would ever consider doing. Because were such a small part of their overall. Compared to being 100% of someone's else's

Fastest growing. Compared to the number of deer hunters. It's nothing. Pick a decent hunting state and they probably sell more hunting license than all PRS/ NRL/etc shooters in the country

Its been a LONG time since anyone here relied on big green for a precision rifle. Outside of Tacops. We have customs with way better features than Remington would ever consider doing. Because were such a small part of their overall. Compared to being 100% of someone's else's

You're right that hunters do out number active PRS/NRL shooters. Yet within the hunting community the growing trends are either ultra cheap or long range. 700's don't fall into either category any more. There is a reason Remington has fallen from it's perch as the largest firearm producer or even largest rifle producer.

S&W gets it and I quote "New product revenue accounted for 29% of American Outdoor Brands' total firearms sales in fiscal 2018, and the company promises a whole new lineup of innovation for fiscal 2019. " Ruger gets it as the Mark IV alone accounted for 38% of total sales the year it came out and their innovation heavy strategy has taken them from a near failing company to one of the most profitable.

Growth segments and innovation are the life blood of larger companies... as such Remington does the same old with a twist no one asked for with a bolt action pistol. Bravo Remington!

Let's be honest, the "cost" associated to Remington for this model is practically nonexistant; other than making shorter-than-normal barrels they already had the actions, chassis, etc. Their R&D man-hours were probably just a tick above zero to churn this thing out, since nothing about it is really innovative being that it is a parts bin gun.

They'll almost certainly get a revenue bump from folks buying them for novelty, or for hunting, or to live out steampunk fantasies, or as stamp donors, or braced truck guns, or ___________...even if many folks here on the Hide or Facebook or Field & Stream magazine readers see it as a totally stupid gimmick.

Stupid low cost, potentially moderate reward...a bean counter's dream and if it doesn't sell there is little financial downside.

I've looked and haven't seen barrel twist rates, but frankly wouldn't be surprised if the 223 is still 1:9; if by some miracle it is 1:7 it'll at least mean they are paying the tiniest bit of attention...

Reactions: CBeck
Let's be honest, the "cost" associated to Remington for this model is practically nonexistant; other than making shorter-than-normal barrels they already had the actions, chassis, etc. Their R&D man-hours were probably just a tick above zero to churn this thing out, since nothing about it is really innovative being that it is a parts bin gun.

They'll almost certainly get a revenue bump from folks buying them for novelty, or for hunting, or to live out steampunk fantasies, or as stamp donors, or braced truck guns, or ___________...even if many folks here on the Hide or Facebook or Field & Stream magazine readers see it as a totally stupid gimmick.

Stupid low cost, potentially moderate reward...a bean counter's dream and if it doesn't sell there is little financial downside.

I've looked and haven't seen barrel twist rates, but frankly wouldn't be surprised if the 223 is still 1:9; if by some miracle it is 1:7 it'll at least mean they are paying the tiniest bit of attention...

Absolutely no doubt, it didn't cost as much in R&D as a whole new product. However, past history of other companies like Ruger, S&W, Winchester and Colt show just how disastrous it can be focusing on limiting expenses rather than maximizing profit. All nearly or actually did cease to exist due to their lack of innovation.

Remington isn't the exception to the rule as they couldn't make this model work during the good years(Obama era) and there is no way it's going to work in the shrinking market of the trump era.

Those that don't learn from their past are doomed to repeat it. Bravo Remington!

I don't agree that it has a stupid low cost.

It's got the barreled action of the $379 WalMart ADL minus some parts and a too damn short barrel.

Throw in a $65 DBM.

I can't see where the abbreviated chassis is worth almost $600.

I would buy the single shot XP-100 all day long before spending money on that abortion of a pistol.

To each his own though.

With a MSRP of $1020, that'll probably give it a street price of around $800. I'd agree that's on the high side for most...but that, plus $200 for a stamp, plus another $100 or so for a buffer tube/castle nut and an AR stock will make it a relatively affordable, relatively turnkey option for anybody wanting a stubnose bolt gun.

Which, admittedly, is probably a narrow demographic.

But yay incremental revenue growth!

Look at the horrible job they did on the bolt knob.
Screenshot_20181118-194412_Chrome.jpg

Wish this was on CA approved approved handgun list but since it comes with removable mag, won't happen. Niche market for sure.

I like the idea. But I'm sure they will butcher it somehow, waaaay too slow of twist rates is my bet.

I'd love to build/buy a bolt pistol for a suppressor host. And if they get the twist rate right, and get reviews of having stepped up the QC, I'd pay $800 for it. I don't think I could build one for that price.

I like the idea. But I'm sure they will butcher it somehow, waaaay too slow of twist rates is my bet.

I'd love to build/buy a bolt pistol for a suppressor host. And if they get the twist rate right, and get reviews of having stepped up the QC, I'd pay $800 for it. I don't think I could build one for that price.
Heck that in a .300 BO with a pistol brace and a Can? Would be fun for sure.

Pretty much where I'm at. If they get the twist rate right and it can be had for around $800 I'll likely buy one as a fun little suppressor host.

Reactions: Bender
I really thought the 6 LB weight and requirement for long eye relief (pistol) scope would be a bigger concerns than twist rate... Yet, no one has mentioned weight or the lack of iron sights.

Are these non-factors for those who find this interesting?
Do you guys plan on buying opposite side bolt handles so you can run your bolt with your free hand? (i.e. if your right handed buy a left handed bolt)

I really thought the 6 LB weight and requirement for long eye relief (pistol) scope would be a bigger concerns than twist rate... Yet, no one has mentioned weight or the lack of iron sights.

Are these non-factors for those who find this interesting?
Do you guys plan on buying opposite side bolt handles so you can run your bolt with your free hand? (i.e. if your right handed buy a left handed bolt)
I don't think anyone is planning on using it like an actual pistol.

Last edited:
I built an 11” Form1 bolt gun in 308 win with a 11.25 twist specifically to run 135g SMKs at higher velocity. Getting 2700fps with them at sea level. Pretty sure this pistol will be about the same performance wise. I see another truck gun in the making.

I'm not gonna lie, part of me wants to put a pistol brace on a 308 and have the littlest truck gun ever.
+1 to that. Although I'd run 300 Blk with a suppressor on it. I wonder if you could get a Remage barrel to fit on it to swap around calibers. Just more stupid ideas, and not enough money.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Not sure what you mean... weight isn't an issue? You plan to use a regular scope? something else?

On the chassis you can add an AR buffer tube. So the idea is to add an arm brace to it. I don't think anyone who buys one of these won't add a brace to it.

I built an 11” Form1 bolt gun in 308 win with a 11.25 twist specifically to run 135g SMKs at higher velocity. Getting 2700fps with them at sea level. Pretty sure this pistol will be about the same performance wise. I see another truck gun in the making.
Yea, I have had a pic of yours saved as inspiration for a while haha