• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

12.5" bbl 308 ar???

Swampkat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2006
Louisiana
Thinking about building a 12.5" bbl 308 AR, and looking for info on velocity and reliability from SBR 308 AR users.

Re: 12.5" bbl 308 ar???

That's the shortest 308 barrel Ive heard of, I'd be curious to know as well, just for an academic exercise.

I seem to remember Hodgdon's website has 308 pistol loading data, probably for those guys who built it into a TC contender. The barrel length might be about what you are looking for comparison on. Good luck with it.

We shot the snot out of our POF 12.5" and can tell you it will hit to 600 yards without an issue. We liked it alot.

There were some pictures and stuff of us shooting it, I don't know if you can find them, but we have them posted some where.

I like it, I also did a thing where I used a Trijicon inside the Kill House, then swapped the mount on the fly to a NF 2.5-10X and hit targets out to 375, then back to the 4X for movement, etc... worked out nicely.

Wow,
Thanks for the "thinking" on this one. At first I was thinking "are you kidding me"? Glad I didn't post that first. Interested in seeing how something like this shoots. We now hear how the 18" may be too short (except for LL) but this takes the cake.
Keep us informed if you build one.
Chad

I am also looking to talk w/ any smiths that have built any to see if their are any reliabilty issues w/o having to use a gas piston system for suppressed and unsuppressed use.

Specs for gasser:
IRA lower w/ PRS stock and Geissele 2-stage trigger
12.5" Broughton 5c bbl
USO SN4 1-6x and/or SN3 1.8-10x
Which ever suppressor I decide to grab out the safe

Specs for bolt gun in the works:
Surgeon action and dbm
Mcm A5 edge
Badger EFR
18" Broughton 5c bbl
USO SN3 3-17x44
AAC Cyclone-k suppressor

After lugging around a 18lb+ rifle w/ 24" bbl and 8.5" suppressor hanging off the end, I find a lighter rifle w/ a shorter bbl and suppressor more useful and maneuverable.

LL,

What range were they zero for and what were the come ups?

My old 7.62x51 HK51 had a 9" barrel and it was great for shooting rabbits in my backyard up in South Dakota. I should have chrono'd it. I am quite curious what kind of velocity it had.

Darin

9" 308 lol man my nads hurt just thinking about the concussion.

300WSM,

No kidding! Try it with the original Vollmer brake. I saw one gentleman blow his hat off hip shooting another copy of the same model.

Darin

Shared the line with an 11" DSA OSW once. With the brake. Felt like I was getting hit in the head. I didn't like that guy.

I like shorties, but I have to wonder how much of a difference there would be on the terminal end between a .308 win and a .300 Fireball. It would seem to me that the extra case capacity would be wasted on that short of a barrel.

It makes sense if you are limited to available 7.62NATO ammo or a .308 duty load, but otherwise you can run a smaller lighter package.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just out of curiosity, have you considered a 6.8 SPC on a 12.5" barrel?</div></div>

I'm not interested in the 6.8 rd.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It makes sense if you are limited to available 7.62NATO ammo or a .308 duty load, but otherwise you can run a smaller lighter package.</div></div>

I've been thinking about this setup since the team sniper match at TV last year, and figured it would work well from contact to 300yds, but mainly for my own amusement.