• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

12" 6.5 Grendel Suppressed, 6-year Update

LRRPF52

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2012
SLC, Utah
I started this project in 2017. Wasn't in a particular rush, as we waited for the group buy barrels to fill and be made.

I've had some opportunities to shoot it at one of my Long Range courses and some local chronograph work. My Form 4 cleared while I was at Scout Camp, so it was nice to come home to that and pick up my TBAC Ultra 5 Titanium suppressor.

The overall usability I see for such a compact package is a kind of do-all little blaster.

* HD with varmint bullets going 2600-2700fps
* Hunting medium game
* DM Courses
* Recreational target shooting on steel at distances from 200-1000yds
* Exceeding performance of the 16.3" and 20" AK and SKS, as well as the 20" 5.56 NATO
* Little truck gun for camping, hiking maybe, outdoor protection that doesn't exhibit a large rifle profile

20180528_171005_zpsom3n21iw.jpg

20180530_093931_zps7ue0ufdd.jpg

20180530_094000_zpsaqq1ysr7.jpg

20180530_092027_zpsltcpumy0.jpg

20180713_153948_zpsisvky5fs.jpg

20180717_171341_zpskpjrveit.jpg

20180717_123738_zpshszrkkhk.jpg

20180717_171119_zpso3rzxhqd.jpg

20180722_151442_zpsjhgbekli.jpg

On the first day of one of my LR courses, at the end, I broke it out to see how it would work with the barrel/gas port/Maxim PDW brace/mini buffer/action spring combo, which was untested to that point to my best knowledge. I used Hornady American Gunner ammo out of the gate, and the thing ran like a raped ape unsuppressed for both Day 1 and Day 2, beautiful little blaster.

I field-zeroed it, and proceeded to engage steel targets from 150-800yds at Buffalo Canyon at North Springs, with at least an 85% hit rate using the 1-4x GRSC optic and its calibrations for M4/62gr NATO 5.56. The misses were really from not knowing the holds at 800yds, because everything within 500yds was POA=POI, with very rewarding and audible impacts on the steel. It's much more fun to shoot than any of my 5.56/.223 Wylde DM Carbines because of the impacts you get on the plates.

Here's the range I'm talking about from a previous course pic. I indicated the 800yd target with a red dot.

a6a41af4-c3c5-4bd5-a7a1-7a11f3885b7b_zpsjhahh1bb.jpg

Here's where my 800yd impacts were in the stadia reticle of the 1-4x GRSC scope 700yd line + 1 dot below:

3783a115-51d3-475a-bdc6-7ed239d6130d_zps0ulu9abi.jpg

I only placed the 1-4x GRSC on this as a place-holder. It normally sits on one of my back-up/loaner SOPMOD II carbines for my DM courses in case an attendee's rifle goes down. Haven't shot that rifle in years. What ended up happening is that I really like how compact it is, how forgiving the eye relief and exit pupil is, and how well the reticle actually worked out for me. After running the numbers back home, I figured that I must have zero'd it at 150yds, because everything matches really well out to 500yds. North Springs is at 6600 ft elevation, so barometric pressure and atmospheric density are really low. For a no-dail, quick solution, the GRSC reticle seemed about perfect for this 12" blaster, complete with usable 10" wind holds in dashes and gaps in the stadia lines.

The Hornady 123gr BTHP AG is .450 G1/.225 G7, so the least aerodynamic 123gr target bullet you can find for 6.5 Grendel, and still very hit probability at 800yds for me in those conditions from a 12" barrel. The 2nd day was really hot, I think 91˚F, not much wind, so with a 10mph wind, I would expect the hit probability to pull it back into 600-700yds for the same hit rate. I was drilling the mini buffalo silhouette at 800yds easily.

I'll be doing some more work with better target bullets like the 107gr SMK, 123gr Scenar, and 130gr Nosler RDF, but as it is with factory American Gunner, it's doing more than one would think for such a short barrel.

You are living the dream. I just sent in my Form 1, literally today, to begin a 6.5 Grendel SBR build. Do you think variable optics are a must or can I skate by with RDS to engage out to 500m?

Reactions: LRRPF52
Here's my 12.5" Grendel SBR. Aero M4E1 upper/lower/handguard, BA barrel/BCG, Magpul stock, Triggertech trigger and Vortex 3x prism sight. Going to be my go to hunting rifle. The finishing touch will be the Griffin Paladin which should be out of jail in the next month or two.
20180806_213700.jpg

Last edited:
awesome write up. I have two 12 inch barrels from 6.5g forum group buy sitting at the house. hope to start on the builds in Sept.

What does that little guy weigh? With Supressor and optic.

I built one too using a Lilja 11.5"bbl., 10" KAC URX4, Novekse lower and VLTOR MUR1 upper, JP FMOS BCG. TBAC brake and a 9" 6.5 Ultra and a 5" .30 Ultra. USO 1-8x in a Badger unimount for use with a CNVD. Short Harris bipod, LMT stock. Basically a carbine build but with a short barrel.

BUT I haven't shot it yet. Haven't bought the Dillon parts to assemble a Grendel toolhead yet but I have my dies. Just too lazy to go single stage with it. So I was ecstatic to hear yours was doing so well! Bill Alexander DID tell me back in the day that if "you go small, go small, and if you go long, go long" he was referring to using 22" barrels or 12" barrels, wasn't fond of "all the stuff in the middle". Well, I have a 20" and based on what you said above I can see why he said that now.

I think when more people see what they're capable of, more people will want 'em. Grendel is by far the best round for the AR platform, period. I figured it would be a good round in a short barrel, but I honestly wasn't expecting what you were getting out of it. Kinda excited to try that puppy out now!

Sweet rifles, every one!

Not sure why the 6.8 SPC keeps being touted as the superior short barrel round. The reality is if you compare equal rounds, say the 6.8mm 120gr SST and the 6.5mm 123gr SST out of factory ammo in a 12.5" barrel the SPC has a marginal advantage inside 150 yards. After that the Grendel just walks away thanks to a significantly better ballistic coefficient. Only real advantage I've found with the SPC is ammo availability.

Not sure why the 6.8 SPC keeps being touted as the superior short barrel round. The reality is if you compare equal rounds, say the 6.8mm 120gr SST and the 6.5mm 123gr SST out of factory ammo in a 12.5" barrel the SPC has a marginal advantage inside 150 yards. After that the Grendel just walks away thanks to a significantly better ballistic coefficient. Only real advantage I've found with the SPC is ammo availability.

@AK4900PA Most people don't shoot SBR'd rifles long ranges. If this thread was about long barreled 6.5G or 6.8SPC, then your observation would apply. For those of us who have built SBRs out of long range capable calibers, it never was about velocity or BC. We shoot SBRs at distance for grins, and to give our true LR long guns a chance to cool off.

@AK4900PA Most people don't shoot SBR'd rifles long ranges. If this thread was about long barreled 6.5G or 6.8SPC, then your observation would apply. For those of us who have built SBRs out of long range capable calibers, it never was about velocity or BC. We shoot SBRs at distance for grins, and to give our true LR long guns a chance to cool off.
I agree for the most part. My SBR will likely never be shot past 300 yards. My point was that at extended ranges the Grendel offers significant advantages while giving up little to nothing at short ranges. The Grendel is an all around superior round, but due to marketing and info regurgitation the general consensus is that the Grendel is good for long barrels and the SPC is superior for short barrels. According to the numbers this simply isn't the case. It's just another .308/Creedmoor debate. From my experience you'll find 3-4 boxes of SPC on the shelf for every 1 box of Grendel so that's a definite advantage, but that's pretty much where they end.

You are living the dream. I just sent in my Form 1, literally today, to begin a 6.5 Grendel SBR build. Do you think variable optics are a must or can I skate by with RDS to engage out to 500m?
RDS to 500, is going to be hard. 300m on man-sized TGT who isn't trying to evade being shot on a one-way range, sure.

These Grendel Pistols/SBRs deserve a bare minimum of a good 1-4x, and preferably a 1-6 or 1-8x. I would love the March 1-8x with a GRSC reticle in it personally.

Reactions: Srikaleak
Nice write up. I don't know why BDC reticles are the devil here.
I've gone back and forth on BDC reticles, as well as BDC turrets.

With all the elevation changes I go through, I use Kestrel and ballistics programs for most of my LR work, but that's when you have time.

I really have learned to appreciate this little GRSC reticle, as it is so intuitive. For a practical, grab-and-go option, I really haven't seen anything that is better. My plan is to get some dope disks made for these scopes that have a pictorial drop chart with the reticle for different DA bands and just plug-and-play for the appropriate conditions.

The 10" graduated circles for ranging and aiming work extremely well, to the point I can see the relationship on anything from 8"-18" targets. With it being FFP, it just works. Granted, once you get past 450-500yds, reticle-based range estimation degrades rapidly.

My 12" data over a chronograph so far with factory 90gr TNT and 120gr OTM Federal:

12" Unsuppressed 90gr TNT Federal AE, 91˚F:

2681 FTFeed
2642 FTFeed
2654 FTLock on last round

Avg: 2670fps

Suppressed 90gr TNT

Avg: 2683fps

With the can, it ran 100% throughout the 4 adjustment positions of the Bootleg Adjustable Gas Bolt Carrier. Good to know.

120gr American Eagle Suppressed, 12" Grendel

2360 2411 2384
2375 2398
2374 2397
2387 2349
2384 2406

Avg: 2384 fps

Not sure how that compares with factory 90gr and 120gr from a 6.8 SPC II, but these are my initial numbers with 2 samples of factory ammo. For hunting loads, I'll be exploring 110gr Lehigh Controlled Chaos (1500fps expansion thresh), as well as the 129gr Nosler Accubond Long Range (1300fps expansion thresh). We've already seen terminal performance from the 129gr ABLR on both hogs and deer, and it's a DRT event usually. They expand rapidly because the bullet is so soft, but the bonding works as advertised with substantial weight retention and penetration.

That includes hunters who have used it from 11.5", 18", and 22". Doesn't really need crazy speed, exits from SBRs/Pistols like a .30-30 mv, but has a .563 G1 BC per Litz. Doesn't like to slow down much, plenty of weight for penetration.

For target, I'll be testing the 107gr SMK, several 123gr bullets, as well as the 130gr Nosler RDF.

With 8208XBR under the 107gr SMK, I'm expecting to get over 2400fps. I get 2658fps from a 17.6" Lilja barrel I have currently, not even using Hodgdon's max load, but the new Sierra Grendel load data conflicts with the Hodgdon's by quite a margin. Sierra's new data really highlights the Power Pro Varmint powder with substantial gains in mv over all the others.

They have a new 107gr Tipped Match King as well with a .445 G1 BC at Grendel velocities, so that might be worth going with over the legacy 107 SMK.

I also have a 95gr Lehigh Controlled Chaos load that is just pleasant to shoot, no sight picture movement really. Haven't shot it suppressed yet. This is a fun little package that lends itself to ease of carry, transport, and use, with range potential that just doesn't seem to make sense when you look at it.

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
What does that little guy weigh? With Supressor and optic.
With suppressor, optic, mount, PDW brace, and a 25rd mag, it's a bit piggish at 8lbs 11oz.

The main contributors to the weight are:

* Barrel profile has abut 4x the shank length it needs, but it shoots.
* Rousch handguard has a beast of a barrel nut that weighs about 5 times what it should. I recommend avoiding them like the plague. Rails are super sharp too.
* Maxim PDW brace housing and steel telescoping rails

I could have gone the extreme lightweight route, but was looking for more balance in shootability for sight picture control. This build ended up leaning on the heavier side for sure. Biggest way to address that would be barrel profile. The can barely feels like there's a can on the end, at 7.4 ounces.

The can is very pleasant to shoot with too, as Thunderbeast knows a thing or two about suppressing noise. Shooter's ear is just a very enjoyable experience, with the gun coughing like an 18" barrel would from all I can tell.

Someone else backed out on one of the Faxon 12" barrels we did with the group buy, so when it popped up, I claimed it. I'm thinking about dimpling or fluting that one at the shank at least to cut the weight down some.

With suppressor, optic, mount, PDW brace, and a 25rd mag, it's a bit piggish at 8lbs 11oz.

The main contributors to the weight are:

* Barrel profile has abut 4x the shank length it needs, but it shoots.
* Rousch handguard has a beast of a barrel nut that weighs about 5 times what it should. I recommend avoiding them like the plague. Rails are super sharp too.
* Maxim PDW brace housing and steel telescoping rails

I could have gone the extreme lightweight route, but was looking for more balance in shootability for sight picture control.

That sounds about perfect. I’m having a hard time finding a 12.5” barrel right now, seems like everyone is out of stock. But I’m picking up the lower to start a build very similar to this next week. Some parts already on the way too.

Thanks for the info!

Here are some length/profile comparisons with 16" and 18" Grendels:

16" Grendel with Lilja 316 Wasp barrel on top

12" Grendel with TBAC Ultra 5

12"/Ultra 5 is about .5" shorter from receiver face to front of the can.
20180808_195710_zpsm2saw5oy.jpg

18" LaRue Stealth 2.0 6.5 Grendel (Top) with TranQuilo brake
12" Grendel with Ultra 5
20180808_195807_zpswriuumda.jpg

That sounds about perfect. I’m having a hard time finding a 12.5” barrel right now, seems like everyone is out of stock. But I’m picking up the lower to start a build very similar to this next week. Some parts already on the way too.

Thanks for the info!

Have you looked at Lilja? I got my 11.5 there. Not sure if they have or will cut another size, but I doubt you'll find a higher quality Grendel barrel. I waited THREE YEARS for Satern to cut me one before I told 'em to just fucking forget about it. SBR'd Grendel barrels are notoriously hard to find from good mfg.'s because almost nobody orders 'em and most shooters and even barrel makers aren't aware that it has good performance in a short barrel. So they don't take you as serious as they should.

But I could have told you it worked in an SBR. Like I said, Bill A. told me himself to either go short or go long but no reason to go in the middle (he was referring to carbine length barrels). Reason being he said, is the carbine length doesn't have the umph the longer barrel does and a shorter barrel doesn't lose that much over a carbine. So his reasoning was sound.

You could also call AA and see if they can point you to a short barrel. If anyone knows who cuts 'em it'll be Bill and the gang.

Here's mine. If the PEQ won't work up top I may have to swap the optic out on it though. The 5" can on it is slick. And it doesn't weigh anywhere close to 8lbs! With all the shit in the photo it may be six? It's light and it'll weigh even less if I change out the optic. Those URX4's are light and the barrel is a medium contour. This thing was built for exactly what you'd imagine, an SBR that can shoot to 600m. Now if I can only get the damn toolhead so I can load for it...
IMG_0882.JPG

Reactions: AMP!
I’ve been into 6.5G for years, and just got into AR pistols in the last year.
So this thread has motivated me to build a 12” 6.5G pistol.
I already have an ultra 7 6.5, and a NF 2.5-10x24. I am going to try an Odin Works 12” barrel (the only barrel I could find),
I may get it built and sighted this weekend.
I’ll post results.

The main sources I'm aware of for SBR/Pistol barrels in 6.5 Grendel are:

AA 11" $195 with 9/16x24 threads (TBAC and every other suppressor manufacturer I know of make 9/16x24 brakes)
Ballistic Advantage 12.5"
Criterion from Precision Firearms Available in 10.5, 11.5, 12.5, 14.5
Faxon 12" Gunner with Ni-Teflon coated extension
Lilja used to stock 11.5" as standard, so if you come across one, I would grab it.

Some guys have cut down their LaRue Stealth 2.0 barrels with MLGS to SBR or pinned and welded to 16", and those are slick. I'm already looking into getting a short barrel upper option P&W to 16" for my Stealth 2.0 as well. I'm trying to plan ahead and be ready for my kids to come shooting with me and mama, and don't want anyone left out of the suppressed party, because I can already see daddy being the last one standing when the music stops in that game.

I don't want my kids to have to experience muzzle blast if I can help it when they're young.

What mags are known to work well? Thanks.

Last edited:
Elander and C products. I'd go for the Elander mags by Alexander Arms. You can get em at larue tactical for $2-5 dollars cheaper than anywhere else it seems

I started this project in 2017. Wasn't in a particular rush, as we waited for the group buy barrels to fill and be made.

I've had some opportunities to shoot it at one of my Long Range courses and some local chronograph work. My Form 4 cleared while I was at Scout Camp, so it was nice to come home to that and pick up my TBAC Ultra 5 Titanium suppressor.

The overall usability I see for such a compact package is a kind of do-all little blaster.

I also started my 12.5" 6.5 Grendel project in early 2017, with the goal of a compact SBR that could reach out to extended range. Mine ended up fitting that role even better than I expected, I'm very pleased with it's capabilities.

Yours is much nicer looking than mine; I initially built mine as an afterthought with some extra parts, just centered around the concept and a barrel. I machined a pair of barrels from Green Mountain stainless blanks; a friend wanted one at 12.5" and I initially started with 14" for mine. Both guns use the Bootleg adjustable bolt carriers since they're fired suppressed part of the time; great product that I really like.

After comparing the 14" and 12.5" barrels, I shortened mine down to 12.5" as well, and only gave up 40-60 fps depending on the load. Mostly I'm using 123gr A-max/ELD @ 2300 fps, but also have been working with the 129 gr LRAB and the 120gr Sierra HPBT, and have the 130 RDF to try as well. The only factory ammo I use is the steel case Wolf 100gr load, which shoots better than I expected, at 1" - 1.5" at 100 yards.

The farthest I've used mine was at 610 yards; at that distance I was pleasantly surprised to find it easier to hit with than the 75gr Hornady HPBT from my "recce" 16" 5.56, the short Grendel had more drop but a lot less wind drift across a gusty canyon.

That's my own reflex-style suppressor mount with a minimalist brake, the barrel muzzle is right at the brake baffle opening. It's fairly loud unsuppressed, but is short and works great suppressed.

7jFdmit.jpg

That's a 3-9x Mark AR with the mil-dot reticle in a 20 moa mount, and yes it does get dialed and is repeatable. At 3x I'm comfortable with it from room distance outwards, with the ability to power up to 9x for extended range.

Last edited:
What mags are known to work well? Thanks.

I'm using ASC stainless Grendel mags, shown in the pic above with a Magpul ranger baseplate. I like that baseplate with these mags for shooting prone or otherwise supported off the mag; they are a little short otherwise. I haven't tried the longer versions yet since I was trying to keep the package compact. The ASC mags seem to be pretty good, and allow longer OAL than most others.

I'm using ASC stainless Grendel mags, shown in the pic above with a Magpul ranger baseplate. I like that baseplate with these mags for shooting prone or otherwise supported off the mag; they are a little short otherwise. I haven't tried the longer versions yet since I was trying to keep the package compact. The ASC mags seem to be pretty good, and allow longer OAL than most others.

I bought a shitload of these back during the first mag scare. The 26rd. ASC stainless mags are some of the best damn AR mags made, especially for the price. Just like a milspec mag but stronger and the 6.5G followers are nice too.

Some years back when I bought all those mags, it was well known they were the best around.

I bought a shitload of these back during the first mag scare. The 26rd. ASC stainless mags are some of the best damn AR mags made, especially for the price. Just like a milspec mag but stronger and the 6.5G followers are nice too.

Some years back when I bought all those mags, it was well known they were the best around.

Want to sell me a few. Hah.

Most people seem to have problems with the ASC mags more than others.

It's hard keeping track of what CProducts or ASC vs CProducts Defense mags we're talking about, because there have been shuffles with those owners/operators. Chronologically, it goes:

CProducts LLC
ASC
CProducts Defense

I've seen the best reliability with CProducts LLC 25rd mags, followed by the Elanders. I'll have to do a baseplate ID and side aspect pictorial reference some time to illustrate the differences.

The mags that were never supposed to be born were the 15rd CProducts mags before the CProducts LLC ownership change and dust-up with ASC.

Those 15rd mags are straight bodies, which was not what Bill Alexander asked for when he specified the original 17rd mags. For some reason, they sent him straight-bodied mags.

Elander was the first to finally make a curved 17rd mag for 6.5 Grendel.

Here are the mags I'm talking about. I only load the old CProducts 15rd mags to 10rds usually, and they run fine with de-edged, blended and polished feed ramps. Before I did extension work, they would only feed if loaded to 7 rounds, but these have not been recently produced for a while now.

Old CProducts 15rd straight mag vs Elander 17rd curved mag (from LaRue that came with the LaRue Stealth):

20170817_170758_zpsxx4rlfd9.jpg

Most people seem to have problems with the ASC mags more than others.

It's hard keeping track of what CProducts or ASC vs CProducts Defense mags we're talking about, because there have been shuffles with those owners/operators. Chronologically, it goes:

CProducts LLC
ASC
CProducts Defense

Could you clarify what you mean with that timeline? The ASC stainless mags I'm referring to are current production, not something from the past. These: http://www.ammosc.com/6-5-grendel/

I don't have any of the 25's, only the 15 rd versions, but have never had a problem with them in Grendel, SPC, or 5.56 (including use for several different Grendel and SPC based wildcats), and they didn't need any deburring or polishing. These are the stainless, not aluminum, and were mostly bought in the last couple years. Maybe older stuff was different?

Ive been following this thread closely as I wanted to build another AR pistol and this intrigued me. After a bit of looking, I stumbled onto this and thought if nothing else, the price is right, so I have one incoming.
Couple of questions;
Anyone use the PSA upper I linked?
I am mostly interested in shooting the heavier bullets, and I more than likely wont venture into reloading this caliber soon, so Id be looking for any factory ammunition recommendations? Mostly deer, but accuracy is a driving force as well.

Thanks

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...eight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch-5165449008.html

Ive been following this thread closely as I wanted to build another AR pistol and this intrigued me. After a bit of looking, I stumbled onto this and thought if nothing else, the price is right, so I have one incoming.
Couple of questions;
Anyone use the PSA upper I linked?
I am mostly interested in shooting the heavier bullets, and I more than likely wont venture into reloading this caliber soon, so Id be looking for any factory ammunition recommendations? Mostly deer, but accuracy is a driving force as well.

Thanks

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...eight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch-5165449008.html

I don’t trust the PSA builds personally, seen too many failures. But the Hornady 123 gr seem to fit the bill. I’ve seen them devastate small to medium game, and have been plenty accurate out to 400 yards so far.

Reactions: dave300
I'm building mine with mostly JP parts and I'll probably go with a Lilja barrel. It's gonna be spendy but it'll be exactly how I want it. It's gonna take me almost a year though :(

PSA pistol lower build kit here today and bcm upper showed up yesterday. I'm still researching barrels and bcg's. I would have never went with a build like this w/o seeing this thread. Thanks.

Reactions: AMP! and Srikaleak

* Hunting medium game
* DM Courses
* Exceeding performance of the 16.3" and 20" AK and SKS, as well as the 20" 5.56 NATO
* Little truck gun for camping, hiking maybe, outdoor protection that doesn't exhibit a large rifle profile

You are truly a sick man! Now I am going to see if I can find a Lilja.
Best regards: Doc Bruce

PSA pistol lower build kit here today and bcm upper showed up yesterday. I'm still researching barrels and bcg's. I would have never went with a build like this w/o seeing this thread. Thanks.

My Ballistic Advantage barrel just got in yesterday. The rest of the parts should be in Monday.

^ I’m looking at that one and Odin 12”. I’m still “researching” which really means I’m waiting on my next cc billing cycle (staying below wife’s radar).

* Hunting medium game
* DM Courses

Mine is 28-31” with a muzzle brake instead of the suppressor.

So I've had some time to take the 12" Grendel to some long range complexes and BLM land over the past year, and haven't even hand-loaded for it yet because the availability of factory ammo is so much easier on me with the Hornady stuff.

I started out shooting it at North Springs at 200yds on steel, easy. Got a field zero on it over at Buffalo Canyon on the fly first time during a private Long Range course, then took it from 300-800yds there using the GRSC reticle and easily getting hits at 800yds with 123gr Hornady AG, elevation is over 6200ft there.

Did some LR shooting out on BLM land with it off a tripod on 2 MOA steel. 600yds was about max with the 1-4x and that load in 5-7mph FV wind.

Then did the chronograph tests at a local range with 90gr TNT and 120gr American Eagle Match OTM.

Then took it down to North Springs for the 2nd time and shot from 300-800yds in buffalo canyon with another guy who's in the Army, stepped off to the side so I could listen to the muzzle report from the TBAC Ultra 5. Sounds like a supersonic .45 ACP through a small can, plenty of cough, so an Ultra 7 would tame that better.

Took it down to North Springs with my family a while ago and removed it from the case, immediately engaged the 800yd steel which was elevation perfect, just off the right edge, finished out the mag on the buffalo. Changed mags and shot 10/10 at 450yd steel. Let my older daughter (7) shoot it on some closer steel. Ammo was 120gr Federal OTM this time, very consistent and indiscernible to me compared to Hornady American Gunner for shooting distance.

thumbnail_20181103_170524_zpsecjrrxjr.jpg

Where I'm at now is that I want more magnification on it. Looking at March 1-8x24 Mini or NightForce NX8. It seems to me that the type of optic and reticle is more determinant of hit probability and consistency than barrel length or cartridge.

For example, with one of my long-barreled bolt guns in a much larger chambering, I'd still be peeing in the wind past 300, maybe 400yds as there is no defined way to hold or really dial with appropriate turrets.

I also have a Norden 1-6x24 GRSC (made in Japan at Light Optical Works) which feels and handles like a NF, but with the reticle.

Overall major distinguishing feature of this set-up is that I can really hear the impacts on steel compared to 5.56, even from 18", which comes as no surprise since there is more energy at the muzzle than a 20" 5.56, with a much higher BC. Fun and practical little package that does way more than you would think, and I haven't even shot any of the better target loads in it.

I just got a case of 123gr ELD-M from Academy for $16.49/20rd shipped, so that was a deal not to be passed up. Will follow-up as things progress.

Last edited:
Anybody shot the 12.5" PSA barrel for accuracy? A bunch of people on ARFCOM have them, but they seem to be under the impression that "accuracy" means hitting a full-sized IPSC at 50yds....

I haven’t heard anything on the PSA stuff. My BA 12.5” barrel shoots right at MOA with a Hornady Black. Using the EOTech it’s more like 2 MOA, but that’s just me and the sight limitations.

Reactions: Raffica762