• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision 12 o' clock red dot on a Trijicon/IRD mk2/3?

jeffl838

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
Anyone have any ideas on how to get this done? Easy answer is to get a reap-ir, but I already own my IRD mk2... I'm all ears, thanks.

There used to be a pic of such (an rmr) on IRD website. I called and asked them the same question you are asking. They said, "Somebody had it done custom".
:D
So find somebody you trust to drill holes in your mk2 and get to drillin' !!! (or take the safe route and find something else to do :D )

==
Here's an rmr at 45 in front of a mk3 60mm ... it might look like it blocks the 60mm lens a bit, but it does not, not one bit.

31045879607_6a7937c1f6_c.jpg

Can the RMR on that carbine hit anything ?

45220427674_aceeab5524_k.jpg

Holes covered by the purple dots, made leaning against the greehouse at 124yds.

Uncovered holes made leaning on a bale at 178yds.

The purple dots are .75 inch

Reactions: Jgunner
Nice rig. I want mine at the 12 o' clock for passive nvg shooting and more utility in the daytime prone. If I can't find some whiz bang 60mm ish picatinny hose clamp thing, that's my fall back plan

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this done? Easy answer is to get a reap-ir, but I already own my IRD mk2... I'm all ears, thanks.

These are some custom built Platform Rings I had Mod Armory build for me for the Flir PTS Thermosight line of scopes. I put them on so I can mount Trijicon RMR' s on top of my Thermals.

Not sure if they will fit your IRD MK2 but you can measure around parts of the unit and see if anything is around 50 to say 52ish or so mm. These have steel heli coils inserted into the aluminum so that you can torque them down pretty darn tight without stripping threads. By using longer screws you might could make them work maybe out to 54mm or so.

I had to place a minimum order to get them manufactured as they were a one off so I have some available for purchase if you or anyone has a need.

1584934131872.png

1584934213828.png

1584935610981.png

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
oof. the mk2 is a little over 61mm. What was the minimum order? What did it cost if you don't mind me asking? Are they metal and hold a zero?

oof. the mk2 is a little over 61mm. What was the minimum order? What did it cost if you don't mind me asking? Are they metal and hold a zero?
Ok, so my minimum order cost me $2,320.

They are made out of Aircraft Aluminium and they even put steel Heli Coil Inserts in the female portion so they are very strong when you screw in the steel bolts. Their CNC engineer James does excellent work and communicated directly with me to perfect what I wanted.

They will hold the Zero of your RMS

The quality of these rings are perfect and precision made with excellent anodizing. Mod Armory makes some of the most precise components and assemblies I have ever seen. Additionally, they are great people to work with.

So, while somewhat expensive, you get a real solution. You will have plenty of extra's that you might could sell to other Triji owners to recoup some of your money if you choose to go this route.

Nicole May would be the person to speak with if you want to proceed. She is excellent to deal with IMHO. I have a lot of respect for her and all of Mod Armory's people.

@jeff1383 You might be able to take the upper portion of my Platform Ring and then just have a local machine shop roll/fabricate the lower portion a little wider and turn out some new ears to match the upper portion such that it would fit your MK2.

There is also enough "meat" on the upper picatinny portion that you could bevel on out some of the "meat" to make it wider to "mate" up to your MK2 upper housing radius. That could be accomplished with a file and custom hand fit it to your MK2 and then have local machine shop roll you a new bottom out of steel.

That's some of the "redneck engineering" I sometimes do if I have something that is close that I can make work with a little TLC and a Black Sharpie to re-color my filings. Black Sharpies are amazing things. :)

Just a thought. Would save you a pile of money if you just need/want one.

Even downgrading to a type-1 Reap will get the job done.

Here's a (similar) patrol on a skeet mount with a widget on the rail (radius widget in this case, but could be an RMR (or MRO)).

49693929001_7c8482704d_k.jpg

And a REAP g1 can do the same ... with a skeet mount and still go on your head.

The REAP g2 downgrade has dual pic rails, so it works also, but can't do the head thing without custom parts.

(note I'm a mk2/mk3 bigot, since I happen to think they are more robust for weapons use. That's what they were designed for ... hence I used the "downgrade" word ... partly in jest ... against frog05's "upgrade" word, but partly seriously as well, for weapons use, I'd rather have a mk2/3 ... but .. depending on what you are trying to do ... life is full of trade-offs)

Reactions: WhereNow&How
mine is set up exactly as Wigs is. Off to the right. Cost=0.

Mod armory is a major maker of defense contract special parts.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
mine is set up exactly as Wigs is. Off to the right. Cost=0.

Mod armory is a major maker of defense contract special parts.
OP's stated goal was to be able to Passive Sight through his NODS on a Red Dot, so I understand his wants. My setups allow that very well.

It really helps to have an elevated Red Dot at the 12.00 Position such that you have room to not "clash" your NODS with your gear.

And YES SIR, Mod Armory does some fine custom work on pretty much unobtainium special parts/setups that you cant get elsewhere and understand the mission well. Naturally, you have to pay a reasonable price to get that level of service, but I am sure glad they are out there and offer it.

Thanks for the discussion guys, really appreciate the information.

I'm not really in the market for a new thermal unfortunately so I'm stuck with what I've got (the mk2) and the 2k min order is more than what I value the 12 o clock capability.

I'll try to find a machinist and ask if he can do the work to modify your mod armory mount to 61mm because that would be bad ass.

There used to be a pic of such (an rmr) on IRD website. I called and asked them the same question you are asking. They said, "Somebody had it done custom".
:D
So find somebody you trust to drill holes in your mk2 and get to drillin' !!! (or take the safe route and find something else to do :D )

==
Here's an rmr at 45 in front of a mk3 60mm ... it might look like it blocks the 60mm lens a bit, but it does not, not one bit.

31045879607_6a7937c1f6_c.jpg

That was us several years ago and the one on their site at that time. We were tasked at that time to build several units and did for a few LE customers and a few high end hunter types. Our issue was placing one around the rear EP shoulder was too weak with too thin of mateiral in our eyes (demensions are very limited), and using a ring system like our original SAR (Scope Accessory Ring) to go on the main body housing was too high above bore.

Edit, we also attempted to get the actual design of the housing changed a bit to accommodate a rear SAR type but production was too far along at that time.

Last edited:
That was us several years ago and the one on their site at that time. We were tasked at that time to build several units and did. Our issue was placing one around the rear EP shoulder was too weak with too thin of mateiral in our eyes (demensions are very limited), and using a ring system like our original SAR (Scope Accessory Ring) to go on the main body housing was to high above bore.
Anymore SAR's in the inventory?! Ha

Anymore SAR's in the inventory?! Ha
No Sir.

Also let me clarify, it wasn't the actual eye piece collar thickness, it was our SAR ring portion thickness that was too thin in our opinion. It had to be to wrap around the EP rear collar and still clear the lower corner points of the actual housing. The SAR would flex and twist and making it out of titanium was cost prohibitive.

These are some custom built Platform Rings I had Mod Armory build for me for the Flir PTS Thermosight line of scopes. I put them on so I can mount Trijicon RMR' s on top of my Thermals.

Not sure if they will fit your IRD MK2 but you can measure around parts of the unit and see if anything is around 50 to say 52ish or so mm. These have steel heli coils inserted into the aluminum so that you can torque them down pretty darn tight without stripping threads. By using longer screws you might could make them work maybe out to 54mm or so.

I had to place a minimum order to get them manufactured as they were a one off so I have some available for purchase if you or anyone has a need.

View attachment 7279525

View attachment 7279527

View attachment 7279548
Do you still have any of these for the flir pts233?