• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1200.00 Scope Budget

Nosler243Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Alabama
I've got a Tikka CTR 6.5 creedmoor that needs a scope. I will be using the scope for hunting and and shooting out to 600 yards. I would prefer a ffp in mil with illumination and a zero stop. I've been looking at the Burris XTR 2 and Nightforce SHV. The Burris seems like the way to go but i'm a little worried about the glass. What is the best scope in this price range?

Vortex 5-25 genII PST would be my recommendation in that price range. Looked thru one last week and was very impressed for a scope made in the Philippines!

I’m currently using a Burris XTR II 4-20. So far I like it a lot. It’s built like a tank, great reticle, great turrets with positive clicks, and it tracks perfectly. I read a lot of reviews saying the glass isn’t very good, and I guess I was pleasantly surprised. It’s certainly not the best glass I’ve ever looked through, but I I’ve never felt hindered by it, especially considering the price and other features. I haven’t had to use Burris’ customer service, but I did use Vortex’s customer service once and it was outstanding.

Another option close to that price range is the Bushnell LRHS, or used DMR or DMR II.

Last edited:
Between my wife and I, we have 2 Burris XTR2s. She is more of a target shooter and runs the 8-40x F-class scope. I run the 3-15x50. As far as the glass quality goes, I don't notice any lack of clarity/definition until I dial my wife's scope up to 25x or more. Its not an issue at all for my 3-15x. Both scopes track perfectly.

I have both the Vortex Viper and Burris XTR ll, neither one have been an issue. I wouldn’t stress the quality of glass on the Viper gen 2, XTR ll, or the SHV, as all three have quality glass in that price range. I personally prefer the XTR ll over the Viper, which works out excellent because the better half of me likes the Viper on her rifle.

Reasons I prefer the XTR are:
1. Reticle
2. Adjustment/Travel of the 34mm tube vs 30mm
3. Availablility
The third reason is subjective. I didn’t feel like waiting on another Viper for the new rifle and picked up the XTR.

Check out the Bushnell LRHS too.

There's a DMR II in the PX for $1,200.00. I think it's worth considering. Also, some of the Sig Sauer tangos might be good.

LRHS, or a Sightron SIII FFP with burris xtr sig rings with the inserts so the bottom of the scope's travel is your zero stop

I'm suprised no-one has mentioned this yet: 5-20x50 SS ? That's my next scope... if they track like their cheaper line of scopes with better glass it's seems like the best bang for the buck going; Jap glass to boot. The reticle kind of sucks but I've learned to use it well enough.

Buy used and get more for your money. Buying a PST GenII at $1100 or a XTRII at $900-1000 is going to leave you wondering "what if?" Get a Steiner T5Xi 5-25 for $1300-1500 or a Vortex Razor Gen I 5-20 for $1200-1300. Both have bomb-proof warranties and are significantly superior scopes to the aforementioned alternatives in this thread.

The Steiner has the best glass this side of 2k and has the best second revolution indicator available. If you like the SCR reticle I think this is a no brainer purchase.

The Razor GENI has a proven track record and is more or less indestructible.

I was in the same boat as you a couple months ago and decided to go with the T5Xi. I have compared it to the Razor GENII, K624i, ATACR, DMR and it is on par with those scopes.

Last edited:
I'm suprised no-one has mentioned this yet: 5-20x50 SS ? That's my next scope... if they track like their cheaper line of scopes with better glass it's seems like the best bang for the buck going; Jap glass to boot. The reticle kind of sucks but I've learned to use it well enough.

I would agree if the 5-20 had a better reticle and had zero stop...this is where it falls short

You might be able to find a Razor 5-20 Gen I if you're lucky.

There's also the SWFA 5-20.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will be going with the XTR2. I like the PST gen 2 because its looks similar to my gen 2 Razor but I can't find a 5-25 mil in stock. I also like the SHV but the ffp model is only a 14x. I think I need at least a 20x. Is there any down side to getting the 5-25 XTR2 over the 4-20?

I'd get the PST over the XTR, I sold my XTR. I think CSTactical has them in stock.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will be going with the XTR2. I like the PST gen 2 because its looks similar to my gen 2 Razor but I can't find a 5-25 mil in stock. I also like the SHV but the ffp model is only a 14x. I think I need at least a 20x. Is there any down side to getting the 5-25 XTR2 over the 4-20?

Have you tried eurooptic.com, they had them in stock when I called and ordered.

I do not think you will regret your decision to go with the XTRII. IMHO the only thing it lacks to the PST GEN II is "glass" but the pro's defiently outweigh the cons on the XTRII vs PST GENII.

For hunting the x14 will be fine in the SHV, but it will hinder you when you are just shooting and want to zoom in. I almost always shoot at 12-15 with the occasional shot at x20. I don't always use it but I am very happy I have the extra magnification. I almost never use the x21-25 power.

If you want to be extremely disappointed in optical quality get a burris XTRII. Can't speak for the PST Gen II's as I've never looked through one before. BUT for the price a guy can find a used Bushnell HDMR or Athlon Cronus there would be absolutely no reason whatsoever to buy either of those optics at a "new" price. When my customers look through a cronus gen 1 compared to a Burris they almost all immediately dismiss the burris.

Why did you take the PST GENII over a XTRII, just curious?

I don't have the new PST but I've looked through them, I did have an XTRII for several months, turrets and reticle are nice, didn't like the glass, my old PST is clearer.

Check out the Bushnell LRHS too.

^^^This. I have a CTR that I have shot matches with and have deer hunted with. I had a XTRii 4-20 and I switched to a 4.5-18 LRHS. I moved the LRHS to my Grendel and have a LRSTi 4.5-18 on the CTR now. The glass on the Bushnell is definately better than the XTR. My son has that scope on his RPR and he agrees. I was spotting hits and misses on a plate past 1100 yards with the LRSTi last Saturday.

If you can, LOOK through a few scopes before you spend your money. I looked, and looked again. To MY EYES, what others say is great did not wash. Trust your eyes.

You will be very pleased with the XTR II. The glass gets a bad rap from some posters here on the Hide, but it's one of the most popular scopes on the market now for about 3 years running. There are legions of guys out there with no issues with the glass on this scope. I know because I ask everyone I see at all the matches I travel to. It's heavily used in the entry and intermediate level of PRS shooters, they are pretty much everywhere, so I get plenty of opportunities to ask. To date I have not met one dissatisfied XTR II owner face to face. And there are a lot of guys out there who don't even own the scope that really like it. I hear a lot of guys speak very well of it.

They are one of the most durable and reliable scopes on the market in any price range. The rate of return is one of the lowest in the industry and the mechanics of the XTR II line has been bullet proof. There's a good reason it's one of the best values going in the sub $1500 price range. It's a solid scope and the extremely large majority of people who buy it, really like it.

used vortex gen 1 razor or bushnell dmr. i think the pst II is nice as well and should be inside your budget, but it won't be as good as the razor. and with vortex's warranty, i wouldn't worry at all about getting a used scope

Buy used and get more for your money. Buying a PST GenII at $1100 or a XTRII at $900-1000 is going to leave you wondering "what if?" Get a Steiner T5Xi 5-25 for $1300-1500 or a Vortex Razor Gen I 5-20 for $1200-1300. Both have bomb-proof warranties and are significantly superior scopes to the aforementioned alternatives in this thread.

That's good advice right there...

Currently I am playing in this ballpark and have been for most of the last year. In the stable currently I have a Bushnell HDMR1 with H59, an LRTS 3-12, an xtr 2 3-15 scr and I just picked up a 3-15 t5xi.

The t5xi is the best of the bunch all around. The turrets are good, the rev indicator is genius but I fear it may give out at some point. Glass is the best in the group. The SCR is nice but I am becoming more of a minimalist when it comes to reticles and prefer a hash every half mil instead of .2 mils. This is the only scope I have with illuminated reticle. Not a big deal for me. I hunt and target shoot. If I can't see the reticle without illumination I'm probably not going to be able to see the coyote either.

lrts has the G3 reticle which has become my favorite. I like the thin center. The zero stop is easy to set and the glass is impressive for the price. I will never sell this scope.

The xtr 2 is a fine scope. I have no hesitation recommending it. The glass isn't quite as good but it's hard to notice in practice. I can see my target and I am able to put my reticle where it needs to be in relation to said target and make hits. The zero stop is easy to set and as long as you set the screws tight enough on the turret it will remain where you set it. I prefer the scr to the g2 mil reticle due to the finer dimensions on the scr. Best bang for the buck in precision rifle scopes in my opinion.

The Bushnell hdmr is a fine scope too. It is the best way to get into a horus reticle on a budget if that's your thing. The scope itself is no frills and simple. The turret are only 5 mil and no zero stop. I always used this scope in a pure holds with the reticle technique so I didn't worry about the turrets too much. Mine is on the gasgun and serves that purpose well. These are a little dated but still a viable option. Glass is between the xtr 2 and lrts.

Hope this helps.

I'm late to the party, but my vote goes to the Burris XTR-2. Tough, well established by now, great prices. I've looked thru the 4-20 and 5-25, I bought the 4-20.
As far as the XTR-2 line goes, I don't know why some people don't like the glass, and others (including me) think the glass is great. I have decent 20/20 vision, and I think the XTR has great glass, especially for the price. It doesn't compare to a Vortex Razor Gen 2, but from what I've seen in the PST Gen 1 and 2, it's pretty much the same. I know that sounds IMPOSSIBLE!... But I'm being completely honest when I say I didn't notice a difference in glass. I've pretty much formed the unpopular opinion that all the "around $1000 scopes" have about the same quality glass. YMMV.

I grabbed my 4-20 for a sweet price, they've been out for a while now and since the PST Gen 2 came out the prices are better than ever it seems. I went with the XTR 4-20 because I never needed to turn my magnification up past 18x or so. Figured I'd save the dough. I also do notice that the image darkens and gets a slightly more fuzzy above 20x (but this is also apparent in the PST line for me) but it's still usable for sure. Honestly I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of the choices though.
Burris and Vortex have kickass warranties (I've used both companies warranties, but was very happy with the service both times).

Last edited:
Currently I am playing in this ballpark and have been for most of the last year. In the stable currently I have a Bushnell HDMR1 with H59, an LRTS 3-12, an xtr 2 3-15 scr and I just picked up a 3-15 t5xi.

The t5xi is the best of the bunch all around. The turrets are good, the rev indicator is genius but I fear it may give out at some point. Glass is the best in the group. The SCR is nice but I am becoming more of a minimalist when it comes to reticles and prefer a hash every half mil instead of .2 mils. This is the only scope I have with illuminated reticle. Not a big deal for me. I hunt and target shoot. If I can't see the reticle without illumination I'm probably not going to be able to see the coyote either.

I am the opposite, I absolutely love the horizontal subtensions on the SCR and wish they would have made the vertical subtensions like that. For me it is always easy to find half mil subtensions.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to reticles, too. I have a plain ole G2B mil reticle in my XTRII 3-15x.

lrts has the G3 reticle which has become my favorite. I like the thin center. The zero stop is easy to set and the glass is impressive for the price. I will never sell this scope.

The xtr 2 is a fine scope. I have no hesitation recommending it. The glass isn't quite as good but it's hard to notice in practice. I can see my target and I am able to put my reticle where it needs to be in relation to said target and make hits. The zero stop is easy to set and as long as you set the screws tight enough on the turret it will remain where you set it. I prefer the scr to the g2 mil reticle due to the finer dimensions on the scr. Best bang for the buck in precision rifle scopes in my opinion.

The Bushnell hdmr is a fine scope too. It is the best way to get into a horus reticle on a budget if that's your thing. The scope itself is no frills and simple. The turret are only 5 mil and no zero stop. I always used this scope in a pure holds with the reticle technique so I didn't worry about the turrets too much. Mine is on the gasgun and serves that purpose well. These are a little dated but still a viable option. Glass is between the xtr 2 and lrts.

Hope this helps.

I agree with FireShooter, AFD77, blbennett1288 and a few others on this page. Buy used and get more for your money. If you're interested in a Horus the Bushenll HDMR II is one of your best options at that price point. If not for what your looking to spend Steiner's have good glass. They had some issues with tracking when they first came out but anyone who did a tracking test and found a problem could have it fixed for free as they make good products and stand behind them.

I'm late to the party, but my vote goes to the Burris XTR-2. Tough, well established by now, great prices. I've looked thru the 4-20 and 5-25, I bought the 4-20.
As far as the XTR-2 line goes, I don't know why some people don't like the glass, and others (including me) think the glass is great. I have decent 20/20 vision, and I think the XTR has great glass, especially for the price. It doesn't compare to a Vortex Razor Gen 2, but from what I've seen in the PST Gen 1 and 2, it's pretty much the same. I know that sounds IMPOSSIBLE!... But I'm being completely honest when I say I didn't notice a difference in glass. I've pretty much formed the unpopular opinion that all the "around $1000 scopes" have about the same quality glass. YMMV.

I grabbed my 4-20 for a sweet price, they've been out for a while now and since the PST Gen 2 came out the prices are better than ever it seems. I went with the XTR 4-20 because I never needed to turn my magnification up past 18x or so. Figured I'd save the dough. I also do notice that the image darkens and gets a slightly more fuzzy above 20x (but this is also apparent in the PST line for me) but it's still usable for sure. Honestly I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of the choices though.
Burris and Vortex have kickass warranties (I've used both companies warranties, but was very happy with the service both times).

You're not alone in thinking the glass is pretty decent in the XTR II. I'm not sure why it gets such a bad rap here on the Hide. I talk to everyone who has one and no one seems to have an issue with it. It's glass that's good for it's price point. You see some CA in some of them (just like most scopes in that price range) and it's not the glass you generally get in a $2000 scope. But it's still good glass fully capable of anything you need it to do. I have spent more time behind them than anyone I know or have heard of, and I have not once had one come up short in glass or functionality.

For the first couple years I shot for Burris I would drop my scopes alongside tons of other scopes in it's price point and even every scope I could find. I compared to the Gen I Razor and every Bushnell under the sun, as well as a slough of others. On one occasion I had no less than 12 guys bouncing between scopes at a match in Oregon (I took pictures), and pretty much everyone agreed that it was as nice as every scope from the Gen I on down, and clearly fell behind the Gen II, M Series Steiner, and Kahles. To my eyes it's as nice as the DMR/ERS offerings from Bushnell and even compares very well to the Gen I Razor. People have gotten upset at me for making those comparisons here in the past, but I have a pair of eyes and have spent plenty of time behind scopes, and that's how I see it.

I don't bother posting my comparisons anymore though. The scope line is a huge success with a very loyal following, and I know that people are going to think what they think regardless of my opinion. The XTR II has some great stuff coming down the pipe and it will continue to do very well. I'm glad you like your scope :)

Last edited:
I still haven't bought a scope. I just can't get everything I want with what I want to spend. The Bushnell LRHS is a nice scope but the reticle seems more busy than I want and it cost a few hundred more. I don't want a Christmas tree reticle either so the PST gen 2 is out. I'm sure the Burris would be fine but I'm still not sure what to get. How does the XTR2 glass compare to a classic SWFA super sniper or one of the older Leupold vari x 3's?

I still haven't bought a scope. I just can't get everything I want with what I want to spend. The Bushnell LRHS is a nice scope but the reticle seems more busy than I want and it cost a few hundred more. I don't want a Christmas tree reticle either so the PST gen 2 is out. I'm sure the Burris would be fine but I'm still not sure what to get. How does the XTR2 glass compare to a classic SWFA super sniper or one of the older Leupold vari x 3's?

Hmm... I never spent much time behind an SWFA or a Leupold, but the XTRs are pretty plentiful in sports/gun stores, maybe you can try and take a trip to one and get a good look thru the glass yourself, that's always the best way to find out.

Bushnell LRTS is another one you should have on your short list. I just got the illuminated 4.5-18 and so far, its great. Reticle doesn't have the donut like the LRHS so is less cluttered. I don't anticipate any issues as I've been running a 3-12 LRHS for the last three years and it's been rock solid.

John

Last edited:
You can find used ERS/DMR’s in that range every now and then. ERS will get you that zero stop. Great quality and the G2 reticle has great potential. Otherwise as others have said, that SCR ret is pretty darn useful on the T5xi Optics. You can find used 5-25 ones that already have turret upgrades in your budget.

I like most of the offerings from SWFA. I think they are a good reliable scope. Which glass is better is a tough call. I think in that price point they are all so close together that the glass simply isn't a tipping point. Between the SWFA and the Burris you are choosing between two very reliable scope lines that give you a lot of bang for your buck. Burris also offers the Non-illuminated XTR II's that sell for about $150 less than the illuminated versions. So if illumination isn't a factor it's an opportunity to get a lot of scope for the money.

As far as the Bushnell line goes, I love Bushnell scopes, I have a couple of them, but I don't see an advantage or gain in paying more for them. That's what brought me to Burris in the first place. I don't see any return for my dollar in an ERS or DMR over an XTR II. The new DMR II is a very nice scope, but I think it's over-priced at $1600. I've compared Bushy and Burris side by side more times than I can count. I've heard guys say they like the Bushnell better, I've heard guys say they like the Burris better. The very large majority say they are too close to call. One of my very close friends was running the ERS on his comp gun and wanted a smaller scope for his Grendel. I talked him into a 4-20 XTR II. He ended up liking it better and rolled his ERS onto his Grendel and competes with the Burris. So it's tomato/tomato, you'll hear it both ways as to which is "better". But for the price difference....

The T5Xi is in a slightly different category. It's a pretty noticeable improvement over a lot of scopes mentioned. You would be in the used market at your price range, but it's certainly a very nice scope.

Just my two bits..Good luck with your choice. I think you will get a good scope with the above suggestions, there's so many good scopes to choose from.

A Vortex Razor gen 1 5-20 or a SWFA 5-20 HD will probably fit your criteria the best.

For what you want to do with a scope, or what you want the scope to do for you, 'your criteria', every scope mentioned here will do that. I'd venture that any scope priced at $1200, your price point, would do the job for you (though I haven't actually checked). I think, and not trying to be presumptive, that part of your question was left unasked. Which is what if you, later, want more out of your scope. If that is the case I can suggest a scope that could cover that base and one I own. Of course it costs a bit more but, my assumption is later you will want more. That is the Vortex 5-20x50 (35mm tube). If you are a veteran or active duty you can buy it , with a one piece cantilever, Vortex, mount/rings for 1300+. Vortex offers a 40% military discount to prior and active military. Not either? Find a vet friend and have him/her buy it for you. Where? I got mine thru Optics-Planet.

In addition to getting great quality glass (HD & APO) and great warranty and other 'features' mentioned earlier when this scope was recommended, you get the mentioned mount/rings set-up, a sun shade, an anti-cant level (scope mount), front and rear lens flip-up caps all in_the_box. It is FFP and has zero stop. My experience is it tracks perfectly (repeatibility). Very strong scope, and heavy. My reticle is in Mils and the 'christmas tree' under the horizontal is easy to ignore. One commenter mentioned buying it used, and that's a good idea because of Vortex's warranty.

If I were to get a different scope it would be the Steiner M5xi 5-25 x56 (34mm tube). But that was over $1000 more even with their (15%) military discount. Anyway, over a beer, I believe any scope you find for the $1200 in your budget will fill the bill and meet your 'mission requirements' for now. One poster mentioned to go and actually look through the scope(s) you are thinking of buying. Along with some very good choices mentioned, that , to me, was probably the best suggestion. Each of us 'sees' something different when peering thru these things. Does it look clear to you? Do you like the reticle? Is the eye relief / eye box suiting you? Consider what else you might want/need to marry the scope to the rifle.

Finally, at any price point, buy the best quality 'glass' you can get for that money. If you can't see, you can't shoot.

Good luck and have fun.

Good choice! I have a couple LRHS scopes. Tracking and RTZ have been flawless over thousands of rounds with most shots being dialed. I much prefer it over the SHV’s (I’ve owned 6).