• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes $1200 maximum on an optic...which one?

Double-edged

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2002
If I want to spend no more than $1200 on an optic for a .308 which will be used for a couple of classes and casual shooting, what is the recommendation? I currently use a Mark IV Leupold 3.5-10x40 M1 with TMR. Would likely prefer a variable but fixed would be fine, too. I don't want any problems with warranty items or with sending it back for minor BS. I would like to buy for durability as well as good optical and tracking qualities.

I suspect that answers will boil down to a used Nightforce or used US Optics fixed 10x but I might be surprised.

Re: $1200 maximum on an optic...which one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harold Mayo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suspect that answers will boil down to a used Nightforce or used US Optics fixed 10x but I might be surprised.</div></div>

You got it.

Watch the for sale sections like a hawk, and you can pick up a nice NightForce, for that, or a hair more, I have been watching for a couple weeks, and they pop up, but sell really fast. Most are new condition, and about 300-600 dollars under cost.

My .02

US Optics makes some pretty indestructible scopes. Their videos of throwing their scopes in the air and then remounting at shooting them are pretty amazing. If a fixed power one of those can be had within your budget constraints, I'd think that would be the way to go.

Sightron SIII better than a MK4. The tracking and glass as good as a NF. Do research and see what owners are saying about them.

GC

You say its for a 308 for casual shooting. What distance will you be shooting? What will you be shooting at?

Used NXS or you can find a new Leupy Mark 4. Nothing wrong with the Mark 4's at all, I still run a couple on my guns.

Check out one of the Horus Vision Raptors 4-16x50 H25 around $950. You don't have to do any dialing and you have 6 more power to get things in a little closer than the 3.5-10 TMR. The extra power makes the differance if you plan on shooting out past 400 yds.

Let me know if you need some more info on the Horus scopes.

Clark K
TEAM HORUS VISION, ATI &SABRE DEFENCE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go find a FFP nightforce 3.5-15x
</div></div>

"$1200 maximum on an optic"

Let me know when <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">ANY</span></span> "FFP nightforce 3.5-15x" is available at that price!

Nothing "wrong" with the Leupold that I'm using at all but I'm looking at shooting farther (1000 yards vs. 600 yards) than before as well as taking a few days of training at CVT. I can't justify a really high-end optic (S&B or USO variable) at this point but am looking for something a little different. I like the TMR but would prefer a dot or crosshairs as opposed to an open space. I really like the MP-8 reticle in the IOR scopes but, despite being an IOR fan from WAY back, I just don't want ANY trouble with what I buy. The most robust scopes, at least within the price range I specified, seem to be the Nightforce and USO fixed-power. I can even tell you how much I've been leaning toward a USO scope but, after handling several Nightforce scopes recently, I've got an appreciation for some of what is said about them.

Since I'm largely self-taught, I'll probably end up waiting until after my CVT visit(s) and see if I feel that I need something else but it never hurts to stir up opinions and weigh out information.

I AM THE ANGEL DECENDING FROM GUN HEAVEN!!!! I was like you,limited cash funds. Went to Bear Basin Outfitters, Check my credit rating,got to be above 7.2 or better. Brought me a NF 5.5 x 22 with zero stop,liminated,R-1 reticle,and these reticles can be send back and change out for a nominal fee. Anyway with Leuipold rings,grand total was 1950.00,they fincance $1500.00 and the rest I put on my CC card.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clark k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out one of the Horus Vision Raptors 4-16x50 H25 around $950. You don't have to do any dialing and you have 6 more power to get things in a little closer than the 3.5-10 TMR. The extra power makes the differance if you plan on shooting out past 400 yds.

Let me know if you need some more info on the Horus scopes.

Clark K
TEAM HORUS VISION, ATI &SABRE DEFENCE </div></div>

Clark, I tried to PM you and email you about some Horus questions. Could you please PM me or email me. Sorry for the hi-jack.

I found that the BR was noticeably better optically than than the NXS, but the target turrets, 1/8MOA adjustment, and lack of side focus may not be convenient for everyone.

For $1200, I would take the BR, or try the SIII as suggested previously.

I would buy a SIII and use the rest of the $$$ to buy hard to find Primers and Powder!! LOL

A couple of classes and causal shooting......? I'd stay with what you got,it's pretty decent and spent all of the money on beer. That's mightier expensive for just a couple of classes and some casual shooting......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harold Dale</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NF also carries the Horus Vision Reticle,I believe the # 25 reticle pattern. </div></div>

where is that an order option on their page? I've seen the big "maybe some time later we'll have this as an option" SH post, but never a final "it's available" option.

I just ordered a new USO ST-10 with some goodies and it rang in under the $1200 mark.

To bad you weren't looking at Christmas/New years time when USO was running the 15% off sale.

I have a Leupold Mk 3.5-10 LR M1 on another rifle but the USO won't be replacing it.

The decision on what to buy with a $1200 budget is a super tough one for sure.

Check with Mile High Shooting Accessories. He had some new Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm Illuminated TMR's for under $1200.00. If you want a different reticle, he might be able to help you with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">US Optics makes some pretty indestructible scopes. Their videos of throwing their scopes in the air and then remounting at shooting them are pretty amazing. If a fixed power one of those can be had within your budget constraints, I'd think that would be the way to go. </div></div>

hey there what video are you talking about where can i see it ?

When I ordered my NF scope,I receved bunch of papers,booket. It's on one of the papers . Says Reticles include the Nightforce Mil-dot,MLR and NP-R1,the Horus,ART,and several more. I'd call them. It MIGHT be for the New NXS 3.5-15 X 50 F1,first focal plane. I'm newbie at NF scope too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ak-kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">US Optics makes some pretty indestructible scopes. Their videos of throwing their scopes in the air and then remounting at shooting them are pretty amazing. If a fixed power one of those can be had within your budget constraints, I'd think that would be the way to go. </div></div>

hey there what video are you talking about where can i see it ? </div></div>

try here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88ewpwPTA6Q

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got my fixed ST-10 for sale right now, including base/rings/bubble level. </div></div>

That looks like a great solution right there!

Not yet. Sorry for months in answering. I didn't have the thread set up to notify me.

Currently considering either the 2.5-10x32. I am just not shooting and buying a scope for something that I'm not even using may not be what I want to do right now...

definitly a used NXS mine is like an indestructible scope. Its great i love mine