• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

123 ELD-M / HPBT vs 130’s for 260 Remington

EN2722

It’ll buff
Minuteman
  • May 27, 2019
    The Green Mountain State
    Greetings,

Question for the 260 shooters in here. Have you tried the 123 grain projectiles? If so, how did they perform? Velocity? Recommend?

It appears after crunching the numbers and looking at data the 123’s seem to be a good choice over the 130’s. Purely from the velocity, data stand point.

I have a 260, 1:8 arriving Monday that I’m looking to put on and use it for competitions.

Thanks

I’d probably still go 130’s.
    123’s don’t gain anything in the short game and probably suffer to the 130’s in the long game.

I’d probably still go 130’s.
    123’s don’t gain anything in the short game and probably suffer to the 130’s in the long game.

That’s what I thought as well but I figured I would ask the question and have someone who shoots them answer.

One reason I consider it was due to bullet availability. It seems the 130’s are sold out or they are more than what I pay for 178 BTHP’s per bullet. Which makes me scratch my head

That’s what I thought as well but I figured I would ask the question and have someone who shoots them answer.

One reason I consider it was due to bullet availability. It seems the 130’s are sold out or they are more than what I pay for 178 BTHP’s per bullet. Which makes me scratch my head
    Unfortunately 6.5 popularity can also be its curse.
    I’ve ran 140 and 147 for a lot of years in my 260 but as soon as I’m out of them I’m transitioning to the 130 or cheaper 140’s now that I don't need to cover really long distances with it.

Unfortunately 6.5 popularity can also be its curse.
    I’ve ran 140 and 147 for a lot of years in my 260 but as soon as I’m out of them I’m transitioning to the 130 or cheaper 140’s now that I don't need to cover really long distances with it.

I appreciate the info. I guess I should have done more research before settling on that caliber selection.

I appreciate the info. I guess I should have done more research before settling on that caliber selection.
    Meh.
    260 is Zeus’s sperm.
    Bullets are out there, just have to search.
    The 140 ELDM is fantastic as it the 140 BTHP.
    The RDF and match burners are quite good as well.
    92EB6829-A308-4370-8942-B0C634F7CFD2.jpeg

I plan on testing the new 130 SMK soon.

The 123's are great for speed but the 130 is better for long distance, I load the 130 RDF and it is like cheating running 2920 fps.

The 130 indeed .I used the Berger hybrid when I ran a 20 " barrel on my 260,purely for increased velocity over the 140. I ran them at 2770 with the 20 " extremely accurate. I barreled it now to a 27" and only shot 140 's. I didn't a pressure test to see how far I could go with then I got to 2915 with no pressure. I don't no how fast the 130 would go

I have some Hornady 140 HPBT that if you was just needing bullets I was going let go for less than I paid for them. I am shooting the RDF's and will not change as they shoot good for me.

I haven't shot the 130's very much so I wont try and compare them- but the 123's work great for me. I have taken them out to 1100 yrds with good results. These were the 123 amax that I bought in a bundle of 2500.... I am down to my last 50 so I ordered 500 of the HPBT 123's. The 123eld worked good also, but the local gun shop could get me the hpbt for .22 cents so I went with them.

I haven't shot the 130's very much so I wont try and compare them- but the 123's work great for me. I have taken them out to 1100 yrds with good results. These were the 123 amax that I bought in a bundle of 2500.... I am down to my last 50 so I ordered 500 of the HPBT 123's. The 123eld worked good also, but the local gun shop could get me the hpbt for .22 cents so I went with them.

I knew there had to be someone.

Thank you for your insight. I have a few questions.

1) What did you get for muzzle velocity?
    2) What powder did you use?
    3) Shooting conditions? I’m looking to see if the JBM calculations for wind is true or not.
    4) Barrel length?

I understand the popularity around the 6.5 but paying more for a 130 or 140 grain projectile than I do for 178’s is absurd to me. Hence, the interest in 123 grain pills. At .22 cents each, I would shoot them all day and twice on Sunday!