• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

123 ELD vs. 120 ELD

CShooter92

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Looking to load some lighter bullets in my 6.5 creed for coyote hunting this year. I typically run 130’s at 2820ish but I want to push a little faster. I’m looking at either the 120 or the 123 ELD-M bullets.

What’s the main difference aside from the .01 G7 difference? I’ve read the 123 was designed for Grendel chambers. Does this mean the 120 would work better in my bolt gun?

I’m also considering the 100’s but I still want to be able to reach out to 7-800 reliably if needed.

Hornady offers factory 6.5 Creedmoor ammo with the 120 ELD-M, it should be fine for what you are trying to do. Is listed at 2910 fps out of a 24" barrel.

The 120 was a legacy bullet for .260 and 6.5x55 before the Grendel and Creedmoors came on the scene. The 123 is basically the same construction as far as terminal performance goes with a more aerodynamic shape.

IF you're shooting coyotes, you might look at the 95 v max, or 105 or 107 Scenar, and 107 SMK. You can move your PBR zero out farther with those.

IF you're shooting coyotes, you might look at the 95 v max, or 105 or 107 Scenar, and 107 SMK. You can move your PBR zero out farther with those.
107smk is the best kept secret in the “go-fast for chamber” 6.5 world. It’s the only reason I still own a Grendel.

Killed quite a few pronghorn with 123 eldm out of my short barrel (20") 260 rem at 2900 fps. Devaststing bullet for broadside shots, large wound cannals with exits. Doesnt have a real high sectional densisty like the 140 eldm and wont penetrate as deep so id shy away from shoulder shots or steep quartering shots. Id have no hesitation using this bullet up to mule deer sized game out to 500 yards