• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 123 lapuas for hunting

Re: 123 lapuas for hunting

I'd be curious to hear from someone with experience on this also.

Dar, i've read on hear that they basically needle through and don't expand much at all.

I just put down my last deer of the year with a 155g Scenar out of my 308 at an even 400yds. It didn't move, dead right on the spot. Worked very well.

xdeano

i'd say the jackets on the Lapuas may be a bit thinner. I've never opened them up to measure them. just a guess.

xdeano

Workedfine for me in 6.5x47lap
I use 37gr rl15 and 123 scenar and got drt from skull and spine neck shots out to 135yd
Now using barnes tsx 130 but likely go back to scenars when they run out

Don't miss vitals! I have had problems with them not expanding and pin holing deer. I killed 2 with 123 scenars. One 8 pointer ran about 60 - 70 yards. The other was a piss poor shot and hit in the guts. Never recovered him, even with a hired tracking dog.

Switched to 120 amax. Killed 3 so far this season and none have run more than about 20 feet. Better shooting on my part though.

The Amaxs I shoot in the 308 smokes the deer. Drops them like a sack of rocks. I work a load up with the Amaxs and try them instead. Thanks

Posting the results. The 123 hit like a hammer. Ran 15 ft. Will post a picture of the hit. Shot it about 175 yards.

The best bullet is the one that shoots pretty good, and the one you think shoots pretty good. Then shoot pretty good and the bullet will too.

A bullet that expands soon upon impact would seem to slow sufficiently to open and enlarge the shock area and hence wound size. Rather than an entrance would without an exit, exit wounds create a better chance of a blood trail to track being two holes to leak blood, hopefully. So balance penetration with mushrooming. Any deer with a entrance hole in one shoulder and an exit hole in the other shoulder (shot placement) ain't goin too fur a piece.
wink.gif

The 123s lapuas seem to be very hard on deer. They leave a huge exit wound. I shot this one on the move. It did not go 15 feet after the hit. Check out the massive hole. This is the second deer shot with the 123s. Both are down with massive wound channels.

123lapuas.jpg

I took my buck this year with a 123gn scenar from my 6.5X47 lapua.......462 yards, it was a heart/lung hit and a massive exit hole. I'm very happy with it's performance.
Phillip

I have heard better for the scenars than the smk and I believe the smk is deff more common. I have a 50/50 ratio as of now on the smk performing as desired. The swift sciracco is 100% right now with me. I havent shot anything with my 6.5x47 but have with the .260 shooting 142 SMK. 2 deer fell dead on spot and 2 ran to be trailed. The sciracco put them SOB right where they stood is where they died.

Thats good to know because i want to switch to the 123 lapuas for my 32" 260 and was wondering how they performed on game.

And if you have any second thoughts about them scenars,

try the 123 A-max instead, I am two for two now, both DRT,

one heartshot at 318 meters and one headshot at 60 meters,

the headshot was sort of low and it still put the deer down like a lightning strike.

/CHris