• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

125 grain tmk 308

Dantrom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2009
northwest ohio
I'm just getting into loading and am seeking a little guidance.

Can anyone recommend a powder for loading the 125 grain Sierra TMK in a 308?
Thanks

Thank you.
I know it's a light bullet. I love shooting the nosler loaded 125 BT rounds.
Accidently bought some of the Sierra bullets and might as well they them out.

Right now all I have is varget and benchmark..

I'm just getting into loading and am seeking a little guidance.

Can anyone recommend a powder for loading the 125 grain Sierra TMK in a 308?
Thanks
-
ya you need little faster powder . for the 125's
I use 110 grain and 308 win. . I use Reloader 10x and I swear by it .
I ran a bunch of loads with the 125's with 10x . but it would not group as tight moving up the extra 15 grain weight . 10x is just tad to fast for 110's .
Reloader 15 and 125 weight, and I was not satisfied using it with groups and also Vel. . It to slow for 125's .
So burn-rate in-between Reloader 15 and Reloader 10x should be perfect for 125's .

Reactions: Dantrom
Hodgdon lists loads for both powders in there load data. Note, it is with the 125 Sierra SP bullet. Might not be the best powders but should work. I think I would try IMR 8208XBR or IMR 3031 if those don't work.

I shoot 110 ttsx with AA2230 and it gives insane velocities and accuracy is very good. That powder is like a unknown gem for lighter bullets in 30 cal.

Start at 50-51 grains at work up to 53 max. I landed at 52.5 which is half a grain under Barnes book max and it’s a .5-.7” 5 shot group load

Hodgdon lists loads for both powders in there load data. Note, it is with the 125 Sierra SP bullet. Might not be the best powders but should work. I think I would try IMR 8208XBR or IMR 3031 if those don't work.
-
I bet the IMR 3031 will work great with the lighter 125's out the 308win. , I had real nice groups using that and handloading some other lightweight bullets .

Reactions: wildcats
Well I figured I would just go with what I have, varget.
I'm pretty happy with the results!
125 grain TMK (I know I fixed what I wrote on the target, not smk..)
48 grains of varget
CCI primers
20190428_125221.jpg

Curious on your Vel/FPS with that ? . If it working for you good . but 48 grain of varget to push small 125's, is a lot of burn .
18" barrel . with 2" of that barrel length is Case, and with blowing 48 grain Varget out the muzzle . Not saying you wrong . Just there is more efficient routes to take with great results .

Last edited:
I dont have a crono..
I had thought about stepping back on powder and see how much varying I get. I'll try some loaded to 47 grains and some at 46?? And see what I get this is all new to me I just started loading rounds.
I already had 12 lbs varget powder so I just tried that before I bought something else..

I'm not trying to imply this is the best recipe, just that it shoots great for me so far. I can snap some pics of things to help verify if you'd like?

I know it's not the exact bullet I'm using but this is where I got my base line from.
Screenshot_20190429-213923_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: