• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$1250 to change a TRG Barrel - WTF

rkgsmith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2005
maryland
Gettin some new barrels for our TRG-22's so I was trolling the net looking at some things and saw a forum. Somebody asked about who chnages barrels for TRGs and a guy suggested a shop in Pa. So for grins I called and asked the price. I said we would send the actions with the new factory barrels (20" threaded and short chambered)and wanted them installed. He said, we'll install, properly break in the barrel and give a half moa guarentee for $1250.00

I said, "Maybe you misunderstood me, I'll give you the barrel, we just need them installed and headspaced." He said, Yeah that's $1250.00

Now maybe I'm just a little out of touch because the last barrel I had installed was from a blank I bought and the labor was $500.00 I mean am I wrong or is that price just off the wall.

I guess they assume if you have a high dollar gun your going to shell out the big bucks for repairs. That replacement cost is half the price of the gun.

Re: $1250 to change a TRG Barrel - WTF

Don't you know that it takes 8 hours to change a trg barrel? Yea right $1200!
You can buy the action tool for $200 from KG ,guy here is a member too. Massoud I think is hid name.all you'd need is a barrel vise ,torque wrench and maybe go gauges.spend about $500 do all the trg barrels....just a suggestion.

Yeah...unless he meant $1250 total for ALL of the TRG's you'll be sending in for barrel swaps/etc. (and you'd better be getting four or more done for that money), then that is just plain nuts!

+1 on letting George and the GAP crew work their TRG magic on the rifles. You know it will absolutely, 100% be done properly and for a fair/competitive price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forwardeyes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't you know that it takes 8 hours to change a trg barrel? Yea right $1200!
You can buy the action tool for $200 from KG ,guy here is a member too. Massoud I think is hid name.all you'd need is a barrel vise ,torque wrench and maybe go gauges.spend about $500 do all the trg barrels....just a suggestion. </div></div>
Massoud sells the tools (KRG). I have one and a great investment imo.
Lil-Rambo changes out his barrels himself.

The barrel still needs to be headspaced. You might get lucky, but chances are, you will need some smithing. It's not like an AI, you can't just torque it down and be good to go.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into the tooling. RK

I know that Gila River Gun Works in Pocatello, Idaho does Sako TRG re-barreling and at a great price. I haven't found a smith that does a better job.

Give Mike a call at 208-241-2718 or e-mail him at [email protected]
gila_river_header.gif