• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

12ga 3" Buckshot loads

beretta989

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
South Dakota Huron area
I just setup my Mec Size master and will be loading up some 3" 4 buck for this up coming coyote season. Does anybody have some favorite loads they would like to share? They only load in my book is for Remington hulls Fed 12s4 wads and HS-6 or HS-7 powder. I haven't used any of these powders before and would like to hear what else is being used. Thanks for your time.

Re: 12ga 3" Buckshot loads

I have winchester primmers and my local reloading store has Federal Cheddite Fiocchi and Remington hulls.They (precision reloading) pretty much have everything. Since I only have the primmers I am asking you the more expericanced shotgun reloading community for advice. I've loaded afew thousand trap loads over the years but would now like to load buckshot.

according to this <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">"powder burn rates" </span></span> blue dot has almost the same burn rate as H7

what weight loads are you planning on?

HS 7 is discontinued. 3inch 1 1/2 4 buck so that's 34 pellets.
I talked with precision reloading they recommended 34grs HS-6 CCI 209M Fed. 12S4 wads 1250fps.

I buy all my non-skeet load stuff from a company called Ballistic Products. They are also a great place to deal with.

I have all their loading manuals. That is why I asked about the specifics. I would be glad to share the loads with you if you want to give me a call. Just PM me if you want the loads and I will give you my phone number. I have several books of loads.

They also have a great reloading manual that will get you started, and enough information for the advanced guys as well. And their manual is not that expensive. I use mine all the time.

Have you heard of them?? Or visited their web page?? Check them out, they have it all.

I have also reloaded countless amounts of skeet loads, and some trap loads. But loading the heavies really is a different game. How you do your crimp is a big difference. I do roll crimping on all my heavies. More consistent IMO.

There is a forum called "Old Gobbler". They have a sub-forum that is only concerned to reloading heavy shotgun shells. I joined that forum to only learn how to roll the heavies. There is alot of experience on that forum. And the guys there are very helpful. You might want to take a look at that forum. Tom.

My book shows a Fiochi hull, Fio primer, 30.0 grains of HS-6, VP-65 wad, 1-1/2 oz. load, @1210 fps. Not as hot as the one you listed. But the wad and hull can drastically change that.

I just looked through two manuals. One is a Coyote specific manual and the hottest HS-6 load I can find is 31.0 grains. The fastest loads are coming from Herco and Longshot. Those are loads at 1300 fps+. Blue Dot loads ar consistently in the 1250 range.

Ballistic Products does not show alot of loads with Remington hulls. But they show alot of Federal and Fiochi. Tom.