• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

12x vs 15x for PRS

Vyx313

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2021
Wyoming
I'm looking pretty closely at the Maven B.5 line as I get a 20% discount. I've read a ton of threads trying to figure out which magnification level would be best, but I haven't really come to a conclusion. My main use would be on a tripod for PRS matches. What are your opinions on magnification for this use case?

Either will work but you should be worrying more about getting a bino with a reticle in it if you will use it at matches. The reticle will be more of a help than the difference between 12x and 15x.

I generally don't like going over 12x for binos.

I have a pair of Vortex 12x UHD's and the Razor spotter with the 22x mil eyepiece that I take to matches. 12x is wide enough FoV to find targets easily but not so zoomed in you shake all over hell. The 22x with .2 mil reticle is awesome for judging wind (mirage) and sizing/bracketing targets.

Reactions: LRRPF52
reticle
good glass/fov
LRF

pick 1 or 2 and then look in your budget

i run 12x42 NL Pure which are unbeatable in glass and FOV. but i'll be adding the 10k gen 2 or Vector X

I was originally looking at the Bushnell Match Pro 15x with reticle but the reason I went back to the Maven's was due to their glass quality. From what I've been reading, they seem to be several tiers ahead in glass quality.

Is the tradeoff of having a reticle worth giving up the better glass quality?

Reactions: LR1845
I was originally looking at the Bushnell Match Pro 15x with reticle but the reason I went back to the Maven's was due to their glass quality. From what I've been reading, they seem to be several tiers ahead in glass quality.

get the maven with mil reticle?

Have a friend who I shoot matches with who used to use a Swaro bino and now uses a Match Pro and is happier with the reticle and says the glass difference makes no difference. I use a set of Match Pro also and nothing I can't see that I would need to see with them and being able to have the reticle to see target sizes to plan holds or when spotting and watching impacts.

Thank you for this input. Do you think the 15x FoV is too narrow? The local matches are typically 400-900 yds.
Not necessarily but the eyebox on 15x+ binos typically sucks. Even tripod mounted if it's windy it can get to be frustrating. I don't have experience with the models you're looking at but just in general with binos I keep it 8-12x. YMMV, mostly a point of personal preference.

get the maven with mil reticle?
Oh wow, thanks for this. I didn’t realize they had come out with a set with a reticle. I guess that brings me to the question of how close is too close for 18x Binos? Matches around me are pretty much limited to 400-900yds.

Have you looked through the Bushnell Match Pro 15x? Love mine - I always get positive feedback when people look though mine at matches.

Reactions: Rob01
Not necessarily but the eyebox on 15x+ binos typically sucks. Even tripod mounted if it's windy it can get to be frustrating. I don't have experience with the models you're looking at but just in general with binos I keep it 8-12x. YMMV, mostly a point of personal preference.
This is a concern of mine. I’m in Wyoming and what many might consider windy, typically call a light breeze.

This is a concern of mine. I’m in Wyoming and what many might consider windy, typically call a light breeze.

It's not a concern with the Match Pros. They are easy to get behind and use even in the wind. I have used them in matches since last year and both rimfire and centerfire.

there's probably a set or two of the maven reticle binos at WyCo matches

I normally shoot at 20x so there's an argument for 18x

that being said i wouldn't want to give up the FOV of the NL Pures if i had to pick only one set

Thank you everyone for the input, definitely gives me some more to think about. I'll give the Match Pros another look.

In the meantime, I'll see if I can get to a WyCo match and look through a few sets maybe even compare the Maven w/reticle and a set of MatchPros if possible.

Athlon offers a set of 12x binos with a reticle also. Might be worth a look.

ETA Also Apex Optics offers one too. One for sale in the PX.

I have used the Maven B5 18x (non-reticle) and the Vortex UHD 18x side by side, and separately the prev version Leica Geovid-R 15x LRF binos. All with eyeglasses.

I had no problems with eyebox or keeping them steady handheld for short stints.

The typical use for me was pdog shooting in high-ass constant ND winds, either off a bench with elbows on the bench or standing off a tripod. In those cases it was no problem. Use long spikes on the tripod as it helps in the wind, btw.

I was quite surprised at the experience, of which I was previously led to believe was going to be a shaky mess.

The Mavens were a bit better than the Vortex, and the Leica just rocks. Love the LRF in it. No reticles in any of them. 15-18x completely replaces a spotter for my use, which is small rodents out to 500-ish yards.

In memory (not direct comparo), the Mavens were either very close to the Leicas or the same.

Maven has a demo program that I used. Try and return if you don’t like them.

I still own the Leicas.

I have heard rumors of other 15x-ish binos coming out with reticles and LRF. The just announced Vector X LRF bino can be configured to 17x, I believe, with the teleconverters screwed on.

Reactions: Vyx313
Get the 15x Match Pros with a reticle. Glass is more than adequate for PRS spotting.

I much prefer 15x over 12x b/c it’s closer to the magnification I typically run on my scope. This allows

Reactions: LR1845 and Vyx313
Running a bino that is close to the magnification you intend to shoot at isn’t something I had thought about before. I haven’t actually shot a match yet but figured I needed to pick up a pair of binos to find the targets before I’m on the clock.

nah not at all. sometimes i don't feel like carrying my tripod and binos especially on really windy days so i just peak through someone else's binos

go shoot a match or two and peak through a bunch of glass. no one will mind

Running a bino that is close to the magnification you intend to shoot at isn’t something I had thought about before. I haven’t actually shot a match yet but figured I needed to pick up a pair of binos to find the targets before I’m on the clock.

Shooting a match and looking through some to see what works for you is a good idea even if being a slacker like @b6graham LOL I can say that as we know our own as I do the same at times in the past. :)

But finding targets is only one of the things you do. Knowing the width of the target can help you see your wind hold or how much you need to hold. It helps a lot at times.

Theres these with a reticle ^^^^

I personally run these ^^^^ the glass is outstanding....I've ran reticle binos in the past and the reticle did not get used anywhere near what I thought it would.

I have used the Maven B5 18x (non-reticle) and the Vortex UHD 18x side by side, and separately the prev version Leica Geovid-R 15x LRF binos. All with eyeglasses.

I had no problems with eyebox or keeping them steady handheld for short stints.

The typical use for me was pdog shooting in high-ass constant ND winds, either off a bench with elbows on the bench or standing off a tripod. In those cases it was no problem. Use long spikes on the tripod as it helps in the wind, btw.

I was quite surprised at the experience, of which I was previously led to believe was going to be a shaky mess.

The Mavens were a bit better than the Vortex, and the Leica just rocks. Love the LRF in it. No reticles in any of them. 15-18x completely replaces a spotter for my use, which is small rodents out to 500-ish yards.

In memory (not direct comparo), the Mavens were either very close to the Leicas or the same.

Maven has a demo program that I used. Try and return if you don’t like them.

I still own the Leicas.

I have heard rumors of other 15x-ish binos coming out with reticles and LRF. The just announced Vector X LRF bino can be configured to 17x, I believe, with the teleconverters screwed on.

The issues I get mostly are when I look around in the FoV just moving my eyes. One side or the other will black out on me. Might just be me, but it's much better with 10x and 8x binos than with 12x+. I love the UHD's but even the 12x set is touchy this way. 18's were much worse when I tested them out. Maybe a me problem but that's my experience.

The issues I get mostly are when I look around in the FoV just moving my eyes. One side or the other will black out on me. Might just be me, but it's much better with 10x and 8x binos than with 12x+. I love the UHD's but even the 12x set is touchy this way. 18's were much worse when I tested them out. Maybe a me problem but that's my experience.
Yeah, I have to goof with the interpupillary distance a bit before I’m good to go. Otherwise I also get some shadow.

OP, you say you can get 20% off the Mavens, why not grab the 15x56 with reticle and see if you like them, Maven has a return policy as long as you don’t customize, they are a good company and assemble these in your home state.

Haven’t seen a lot of reviews on them yet, but I took a chance on the new Athlon Pro 12x with reticle, should be here today. I’m not a glass snob nor an expert but I’ll throw out an opinion when I get a chance to try them out. Just getting into comps and wanted something for spotting at matches that I could also take hunting that wouldn’t be too bulky.

How are the apex binos as far as glass quality? Worth the extra expense over the bushnell and athlon binos with retitles?

Don’t want to steal the thread, but has anyone used the Athlon Midas pro binos with reticle? Are they any good?

Don’t want to steal the thread, but has anyone used the Athlon Midas pro binos with reticle? Are they any good?
It looks like Waco Kid is getting some today. Maybe after this weekend we can get some opinions on those.

I looked through a pair of the athlons this past weekend at a match. I was impressed for the price. Was good lighting so not sure how well they would perform if overcast or shadows but the reticle was pretty neat and got me looking for binos with reticles. It was a windy day (15-25mph winds constantly changing) and knowing how wide the targets were helped me make better wind budgets on my dope cards I thought.

It’s not the magnification giving you a headache, unless the glass quality is extremely poor.

Not an issue at all with the Bushy Match Pro.
I used to use Swaro SLCs 15x. I switched to the EL 12x. After 8 hours of constant use per day at a 2 day match, the 12x for some reason strain my eyes less. Glass quality is good on both.

Have a friend who I shoot matches with who used to use a Swaro bino and now uses a Match Pro and is happier with the reticle and says the glass difference makes no difference. I use a set of Match Pro also and nothing I can't see that I would need to see with them and being able to have the reticle to see target sizes to plan holds or when spotting and watching impacts.
Pretty sure Rob isn't speaking of me, but those are my feelings on the matter too.

Long time user if 12x Swarovski EL, switched to Match Pro for the reticle. It hasn't held me back.

As far as the difference in FOV, If your tripod head doesn't slew left and right you can always unlock your bowl to do the same.

Reactions: Rob01
OP, you say you can get 20% off the Mavens, why not grab the 15x56 with reticle and see if you like them, Maven has a return policy as long as you don’t customize, they are a good company and assemble these in your home state.

This seems like the obvious answer, with the OP's 20% discount.

Reactions: lash
The only thing here is that the Mavens with the reticle only come in 18x which I think might be on the high end for magnification for some of the closer targets. Still not a bad idea to try out their demo and decide from there.

The only thing here is that the Mavens with the reticle only come in 18x which I think might be on the high end for magnification for some of the closer targets. Still not a bad idea to try out their demo and decide from there.
Well shoot, I thought Maven was also offering a reticle in their 15x56, my bad.

Reactions: kthomas
There’s a match in a few weeks that I’ll try to get out to and look through a few sets of binoculars to try and get a point of reference on magnification before I pull the trigger on anything.

Reactions: kthomas
Athlons made it this evening. Tried to get a pic through them but holy shit that’s a pain with a cell phone. Got a couple but honestly it doesn’t look nearly as clear as the binos, maybe it’s a focus thing. Anyway, looked at a neighbor's house at around 425, power pole at 540, and some trees out to 1090 and feel like they are pretty good for the price. I hate buying Chinesium but also don’t have the budget for top tier with my other priorities right now, these should be good entry level reticle binos.