• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

130 GR SOST 308 Anyone Using Varget or Similar?

Roscoe_M4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2003
Chattanooga, TN
I'm trying to work up a load to approximate the Mk319 Mod 0 using the same 130 GR SOST bullets for my LMT-MWS with its 16" C.L. barrel. I've established 2,850 fps as my goal for this project. I'm using LC brass and seem to be hitting a wall around 2,720 fps with the surplus ball powder that easily pushes my 125 GR TNT plinking loads past 3,000 fps in my other 308s. In looking for another powder, Hodgdon's data for 130 GR loads shows Varget as the powder yielding the 2nd highest velocity (3,130 fps) with a range of 47.0 to 50.0 grains, but Speer's data shows 47.0 grains as a maximum load.

Is anyone using Varget or something similar like IMR 8208 or 4064 for this application or for lightweight (130 - 135 GR) target bullets?

If so, where are you seeing your best results?

I have ar comp and 8208 which both are very similar in performance. 46.5 to 47.5grains should be in the ballpark for you with either of these powders. I have a lot of those same bullets I got from Midway. I also have a pile of LC brass.. Now I am motivated to do some load testing for 14.5, 16, and 18inch barreled ARs that I have. Ar comp does very good pushing lighter bullets in 308 in my experience. I'm going to start doing my load development with ar comp.