• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

130 vs 140+ class bullets for PRS

DeathBeforeDismount

Hey, give your balls a tug.
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2021
IN YOUR HEAD
Ive been going back and forth and have shot both in comps. While the heavies are much more popular in comps, It makes me wonder why the 130 class bullets like the 130 AR hybrid are not more popular.

You basically replicate a 105/109 flight path. Similar BC. Lower recoil. Can run about the same velocity. Bullets are also a bit cheaper.

I have ran the 153 and 156 bergers and the 143 normas in the past, but I mostly shoot 109s out of a 6GT. Would it make more sense to just load up 130 Berger AR hybrids about 2800 in a 6.5cm to closely match the 109? Seems like if you switch back and forth between calibers (which I do when shooting a ton of back to back to back matches and don't have time to reload) it would make more sense.

Thoughts?

Reactions: GAl08
I shoot 140s at almost 2800. The benefit to 6.5 for me is the bigger projo is easier to see in flight and also on plate(or the miss). I played with some factory 136g and didn't really notice much difference in wind and it was only going 2720fps. I bet barrel life is better with 130s then typical 6mm.

it wasn’t much difference to me, I shot either

I ran the 130 AR hybrids for a year or so when they first came out

The last year I shot 2 day matches…

1st: 6mm/108/3k fps
9th: 6.5/140/2750 fps
2nd: 6.5/130/2900 fps
17th (finale): 6.5/140/2750 fps (different rifle and bullet than the previous 6.5)

Even tho my 2 worst finishes were w/ 140s, at both those matches I made some mental mistakes that had nothing to do with the shooting side that cost me enough pts I would have been top 5 in both

While shooting, I don’t remember being able to tell much difference other than very slightly less wind past 800 yds w/ the 140s

I have used the 130’s running mid 2800’s with both Bergers and the cheaper but very good Norma Golden targets and it’s a good option IMO. N550 worked really well as far a powder goes.

For PRS-size targets, you’re not going to see much of a difference ballistically.

Just go with the bullet/load that your rifle prefers.

@Lowlight has always been a proponent of 130's in 6.5

Try it and see if you like it. I feel like you are trying to split hairs here though.
Was thinking I had seen that he was talking them up a while back. Gain a little speed to help try and offset wind drift correct?

I know some folks don't like them, but I always thought the 130 RDF would be the cats ass

The RDF's were a great idea, just seemed like poor execution from Nosler.

I tried the first batches of 140 RDF's, and they were terribly inconsistent. The nickname they developed, 'Random Damn Flier', is very apt. I think I have somewhere between 1,500-2,000 140 RDF projectiles collecting dust in my reloading room. Should've tried them out first before buying 2,000 of them :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, if you really want lightweight high BC projectiles (that have any semblance of consistency), the logical conclusion is to go to solids. But that introduces a whole different can of worms (chamber design, barrel nuances, cost, splash, etc).

Reactions: Huskydriver
if you're going to run 123gr. and heavier bullets in the Grendel, consider H4895. it has one of the lowest temp coefficients around. if i recall about 1/2 or 1/3 of what Benchmark has.

if you're going to run 123gr. and heavier bullets in the Grendel, consider H4895. it has one of the lowest temp coefficients around. if i recall about 1/2 or 1/3 of what Benchmark has.

giphy.gif

140s are just a touch heavy for the Creedmoor IMO. If you can push them to about 2850 they do really well. What the 130s lack in BC can be at least partially picked up because of the additional velocity. If you were trying to get past 1k it could be detrimental but inside of 8-900 there is probably no penalty.

Ive been going back and forth and have shot both in comps. While the heavies are much more popular in comps, It makes me wonder why the 130 class bullets like the 130 AR hybrid are not more popular.

You basically replicate a 105/109 flight path. Similar BC. Lower recoil. Can run about the same velocity. Bullets are also a bit cheaper.

I have ran the 153 and 156 bergers and the 143 normas in the past, but I mostly shoot 109s out of a 6GT. Would it make more sense to just load up 130 Berger AR hybrids about 2800 in a 6.5cm to closely match the 109? Seems like if you switch back and forth between calibers (which I do when shooting a ton of back to back to back matches and don't have time to reload) it would make more sense.

Thoughts?
That's exactly what I do. I shoot the 130 otm in 6.5cm and it is a laser. Very predictable bullet if that makes sense. Seems like my dope is just more consistent with it. It's really the easy button. People get caught up in all the BC stuff and automatically go to a 140+ bullet but the 130 is an excellent choice imo. Mine runs at 2865 or so and always shoots great.

When I was running 6.5CM in two different rifles, I used the 130 VLD in one and the 144 Hybrid in the other. If anything, I preferred the 130’s, but accuracy wise, they were both very good. In truth, the individual rifle made much more difference, shooting either in the rifle using the 144’s, really hard to notice.

Was thinking I had seen that he was talking them up a while back. Gain a little speed to help try and offset wind drift correct?

I think that was the idea. For performance/velocity, I think Frank liked the velocities of the 130's in a 6.5 Creedmoor, in his mind, that weight class was more suited to the cartridge.

In reality, you're splitting hairs between the 130's and 140's, IMO.

The 130s kick ass, but for the creedmoor the best bullet to balance weight and speed is the 136gr Scenar L - these rock.

140 class BC with the speed to take advantage

Though not to stick a wrench in it, cuz I do feel light is right. But the guys out west here are doing the 153gr 6.5 and they only push it around 2600fps. You have to reload it in that slow mode and hit the SD to below 4fps but man, I have seen it do 3” groups at 1k in the wind.

Have shot the 140 weights since the beginning and still my favorite. Now with a .640+ BCs they do the job very well. I have started loading some 153 ATIPS at 2680fps and they have very similar recoil to the 140s at about 100fps faster.

I shoot 6mm also but no issues jumping around but if you want to load similar in different calibers than try the 130 and see if they work for you.

I run 153s at 2610, and they shoot equally as well at 2700fps, 28" 7.5tw barrel. My wind calls at the same or better than all the 6s accept a fast creed. I prefer the slower speed, and higher energy on target. I think 140s high 2700 low 2800s is plenty. The 130s have less bc than a 109, 110, 112, 115. So the recoil is uppes for the same trajectory and wind hold as a 6gt or 6dasher.