• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

130 vs 150 range day

TACTICAL45

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 17, 2007
    Where ever they send me...
    Was at the range yesterday, the plan was to zero in two different rifles, a LR308 that I built, and a Winchester Model 70 in .270. Both rifles have new scopes on them. Also to see what the .270 likes more, the 130 or 150gr ammo.

This post will be dealing with the .270. I started out with my hand loads of 150, didn't take much to zero in once we found where they were originally landing. Opened a brand new box of Remington 130sp, they were more than 12" off, high right. I have never seen that big of variance before. I went back to my 150's just to see if anything had moved on my rail. No issues, rounds tracked right back to last shots of 150. Even had my brother shoot in the same order, same thing. At this point I was at a loss, I've never seen that much of a difference before from the same rifle, same session, same conditions. I just left it alone with the 150's until I have a better understanding of why this is happening.

So, I went about zeroing the LR using my hand loads that I have been loading for it since I built it. Groups were good, had my brother try it, all of his shots were sub zero as expected (actually they were all touching, 1/4" center to center) that is how this shoots normally. He did not re-zero to him, just went off of my zero.

I should add, that when I was in AFG back in '13 I took some indirect fire, so now I have one fake shoulder, the other needs it, been putting it off until I can't take the pain anymore like the left one. That is why I left the range instead of zeroing the .270 with 130 to see which grain grouped better. The 150 I am happy with at 100yds, would have liked to seen how the 130 did at the same distance, and then push them both out to 200yds so I have some data to work from.

My LR with FGMM 168's groups well. That is what just about everyone suggested I go with. I had some of my loads that I put together for a AICS chassis in .308 that I built, and the LR loves the 175SMK's Ideveloped. I've had similar results with other rifles that I have loaded for, but, this 130 vs 150 I have never seen before.

Anyone have any ideas of why the big difference in POI's?