• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

135 smk experience in 308 bolt

ChemE1975

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2012
California
I've searched here and on other shooting forums and cannot gather much information. Well, the lack of information leads me to believe the 135 smk is not a popular bullet. At any rate, I am thinking of giving them a go in a 308. These will be only for paper punching at 600 and less yards. Thinking of loading them light to medium for reduced recoil but still maintaining good speed/trajectory with the lighter bullet.

Does anyone have experience with the 135 SMK out of a 308 bolt action? Can I expect good accuracy assuming the rifle is up for it? Are they finicky to load? Jump tolerant? Any information or experience is appreciated.

Last edited:
I know of some M1-A shooters that use them at 200 Yards for less recoil.They had good results at short range.I think they were using a 1-12 twist barrel .The bullets had a fair amount of jump in a M!-A platform.For 300-600 Yards I would not go below a 155 Grain Match bullet.You would give up quite a bit of wind drift with the 135SMK a longer ranges.

Regards,Mike

I never used them myself, but I heard that they zoom at short ranges. Forgot the velocities, but north of 3k

I think some of the reasons we haven't seen much about them is that they are rather new, and the advent of the current ammo shortage. I have used the almost as new 125SMK in the .30BR and they are a good bullet. The gentleman who chambered my .30BR barrel has told me that the 135SMK shoots well too. My barrel is 22" 1:10. I am considering them for testing as a future alternative lower recoil load for my Granddaughter in the 91/30 Mosin Nagant, but other projects will be sooner on my agenda.

Greg

BC is listed at .39...moderate charges should push these at near 3000. Hot charges at over 3000. These are guesses as I have not loaded or shot any of these.

[MENTION=79378]greg[/MENTION]...what sort of velocities from that 125smk out of your BR?

With your comments it sounds like giving the 125 and/or the 135 in a 308 a try may be worthwhile?

I really don't know the velocities, and 125SMK's became unobtanium around these parts almost a year ago. I am currently on my third sequence of load development (#2 = 125 NOS BT now also unobtanium, current #3 125 SRA Pro-Hunter and 33.0gr of IMR-4198) At 250yd, I don't think velocity is a significant factor, but nodes are.

Greg

I was under the impression these bullets were for smaller 30 caliber rounds (like 30 AR, 30 Rem, 30-30) which is probably why you don't hear much about em in 308.

it seems like the some 110's are now marketed for the 300 BLK. however, i think varmint hunters have been using bullets like the 110 vmax and 125 BT noslers out of 308s for years. i am not sure what specific round the 135 smk is marketed to, but it is interesting to me as it is lower cost than the 125 nosler.

The 135gr SMK was designed for the Springfield M1A match at camp Perry it shoots just fine out to 300yds. I've shot them in M1A, M1 Garand, 1903s, Krags, and my AR10 match upper. I don't run a heavy charge as they shoot really nice with around 43-44gr of Varget in the .308 case, run 47gr of IMR-4895 (slow lot) in the M1. When I was playing with seating depth to have the bullet hit the lands in any of the chambers very little was in the neck and the bullets didn't shoot well. I then seated the bullets down where the boat tail was in the neck/shoulder junction and they shot wonderful. IF and I mean IF you were at a range that was wind protected they would should at 600yds but they are going to get blown. I really like this bullet as it is low recoil and is very accurate. The Nosler 140gr CC is also another good choice for a shortline bullet. It was designed for the 30AR cartrdige but works fine in any any of the above mentioned .30cal rifles.

great post heman. even answered a bit of a follow up question about they need to be pushed fast to work well. seems like your experience dictates seating them a little deep and you were good to go. thanks.

I have a couple hundred on hand. I bought a few boxes a couple years ago and they did VERY well at 100yds. I do not remember the powder type or chg wt, but they were fun to plink with. I like to try different bullet wts and work up a load that does pretty well with them. Nice to have a load, for example, for the 110g varminters. Low recoil and surprisingly accurate.