• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 139 6.5 vs 155 .308 Scenar

chucknelson

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2007
Alberta
This rifle is currently a stock CDL in a McMillan compact stock with PT&G Oberndorf bottom metal. It is about to get a new barrel and I can't decide whether to go 260 rem or 308 win. Rifle will be used for coyotes, antelope, open country mule deer, and plinking. I might pack it for bighorns and the odd whitetail as well. My wife may shoot a moose or elk with it. But either way it will be built around the Scenar.

Which way do I go?

IMG_2209_2.jpg

Re: 139 6.5 vs 155 .308 Scenar

I personally wouldn't hunt moose with a .260, but it obviously can be done. For all the other game listed, I would choose the .260, but wouldn't hunt with Scenars.

For a hunting rifle, it's worth considering one that has ammo on the shelf in smaller country stores in case the ammo is left at home, is lost in travel, dropped in the water, or similar. 308, 30-06, 270, 7RM and 300WM, are commonly available. 260 is not.

PGS on here has a lot of experience with both those bullets.

Me, I just switched to a .260 from .308 so no 6.5mm experience yet.

I can tell you, if you put it where its supposed to go, the 155 scenars in a .308 are just fine for anything up to mule deer size critters. Shot placement shot placement shot placement.

Shot placement is king.

Be a stone in the right place, a knife in the right organs, and arrow thru the heart and lungs or a bullet in the vitals and shoulders, or even a club to the head... hit the right spot with the right kind of weapon and it will do its job.

Some argue against the scenar but I have seen evidence to show that they are very destructive. If the pelt is what your after I would go with a Berger VLD hunter, but if you dont care if the exit wound is the size of a baseball the Scenar will do you fine.

Either of the two will do the job. I use the 155 grains in .308 @ 2930FPS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSSP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5 all the way. Don't use the Scenar's for hunting. Have heard too many neg over on LRH.com about them. Lots of other great hunting 6.5 bullets.

Alan </div></div>

LOL... go read and look at the photos here... you might change your mind !

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...pix#Post4977783

Thats a great article on the 155 Scenar. I really liked how flat this bullet shot across our open pastures. I am sure the coyotes didn't share in my fondness though. Most coyotes hits were 300-450 yds, and they all dropped right on the spot!

Especially for a hunting rifle, I have to agree with the previous post above about finding ammunition in an out-of-the-way place. There you have a better chance of finding .308 then .260. From my experience hunting in Quebec only certain calibers are available in the boondocks. Many otherwise common calibers are not available outside of large metropolitan areas: places where you will not likely be hunting.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSSP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5 all the way. Don't use the Scenar's for hunting. Have heard too many neg over on LRH.com about them. Lots of other great hunting 6.5 bullets.

Alan </div></div>

LOL... go read and look at the photos here... you might change your mind !

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...pix#Post4977783 </div></div>

I agree to some extent with the poster above, notwithstanding the pictures. There was no discussion of how far some of those animals ran either. Go with the 6.5, and choose a better hunting bullet like the TSX. The scenar will probably get the job done, but it can be done better.