• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

14.5” .308 worth it?

Kennn

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2023
Nevada
Is it worth using 308 with a suppressor in a barrel that short or should I just use a 16” barrel. I notice that the military uses 5.56 in an SBR configuration but I also want to reach out a little farther than they can, like up to 600 yards. I also want the extra power the 308 yields but I don’t want to negate that but cutting the barrel short either.

I’m trying to decide between the SR-25 14.5” ACC and the 16” APC. ATACR 1-8 and offset Aimpoint T-2, light, and suppressor. I am just larping as I do not plan on going to war, ever, but if you must, which gun would you take to war and what suppressor?

Will this be for straight-up LARPing or part of your home defense system?

Keith

Will this be for straight-up LARPing or part of your home defense system?

Keith
Larping. I like very short for home defense

You’re talking about 35-40 FPS difference in muzzle velocity.

Take whatever bullet you plan to shoot and look up the minimum velocity for it to expand or fragment or do whatever it’s designed to do. Then get your ballistic calculator and plug in a reasonable MV for a 14.5” or 16” barrel and then see what range that minimum velocity number corresponds to, now add or subtract 40fps and run it again.

I think you’ll see you’re splitting hairs. If the intent is to run suppressed most/ all of the time I’d take the shorter rifle 100% of the time in this scenario.

Take whatever bullet you plan to shoot and look up the minimum velocity for it to expand or fragment or do whatever it’s designed to do. Then get your ballistic calculator and plug in a reasonable MV for a 14.5” or 16” barrel and then see what range that minimum velocity number corresponds to, now add or subtract 40fps and run it again.

I think you’ll see you’re splitting hairs. If the intent is to run suppressed most/ all of the time I’d take the shorter rifle 100% of the time in this scenario.
This, so long as the can is rated for the cartridge and rifle length.

Would you still take the 14.5 over the 16 if I dimpled the 16?

If you are 100% going to shoot the barrel out, dimple it if you want. But, if you think you might EVER sell the rifle, don’t do anything to the barrel other that shoot it.

Hybrid COA: 16" with direct thread can. Lighter and shorter than a pin and weld 14.5 with some sort of 6oz , 2.3" muzzle device and 8oz suppressor adapter.