• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

14.5/16” 6.5 creedmoor rifle?

JimmyT

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017
Has anyone taken the plunge with a 16” or shorter 6.5 creedmoor AR10?
im feeling the fever to put together another rifle and want to hear any experiences with this barrel length.
mainly to shoot 123-130 grain bullets to harvest deer out to 300 yards.

Reactions: Texaslongshot
I have a 16" 6.5C with Krieger barrel - absolutely love it!!! I have a Steiner M8Xi 1-8 on it and hit steel man silhouettes at 1000 yds with ease using 120g and 140 gr match ammo, using my M5Xi and its like cheating, too easy. I have a 20" 6.5C too and the 16" is quickly becoming a favorite. Im thinking about building something even more compact but it gets into a legal issue of what i can/cant do and how its classified.

Reactions: LRRPF52
I have a 16" 6.5 barrel on the way, should be any day/week now...

Stocked up on 108/123 Scenars and 130 TMKs along with AR-Comp, Varget, RE17, H4350, and H100V.

Running a new Ares 3-18 on the rifle now (308), but want to try the new Athlon 1-10 when it's released.

Good to hear results

I have a Wilson Combat 16 inch 6.5cm Recon barrel on backorder.

I'm thinking it's gonna cause my 18 inch WOA SPR barreled ar15 to see less use but I'm fine with that

I have a 16" 6.5C with Krieger barrel - absolutely love it!!! I have a Steiner M8Xi 1-8 on it and hit steel man silhouettes at 1000 yds with ease using 120g and 140 gr match ammo, using my M5Xi and its like cheating, too easy. I have a 20" 6.5C too and the 16" is quickly becoming a favorite. Im thinking about building something even more compact but it gets into a legal issue of what i can/cant do and how its classified.
Have you chronographed either of those loads by chance?

Reactions: CombatMedic172d

Who made your 6.5CM AR Barrel?

Going with a 16” Wilson Combat Paul Howe fluted recon barrel. Slowly assembling the parts to complete this upper.

Did you use an adjustable gas block with the short barrels

I have a 16" Wilson Combat Paul Howe as well. Goal was to have a light semi for my girlfriend to hunt with. I ended up at 7.9lbs naked, 9 on the nose scoped with a mag. Mostly happy. The velocity takes a hit, which I expected and it doesn't like the 129SST I was hoping to use (had 600 on the bench), but it loves 140+ bullets.

Two major cons for me. First, it is pretty loud. If you put a brake on its going to be very loud. With a can on its a joy to shoot and around 10 pounds ready to go. I really only shoot it with a can at this point. If I was starting from scratch I might take the weight penalty of going 18" or 20" to reduce muzzle blast.
Second con is that the rifle is tough on brass, even with an adjustable gas block. I've put a few hundred rounds though it and the brass gets ejector swipe with even mild loads. I think I need to try a heavier buffer than the stock Aero AR-10 one, but at the end of the day the intermediate gas system is opening rather early and the pressure in the bore is still quite high. A rifle or rifle +2 on a longer barrel would probably be easier to tune in this regard.

Every once in a while I ask myself why I didn't just build a grendel (or a 6 ARC) with a longer barrel. I could've come in at the same weight or lower and still had a 200 yard deer gun. Hell, I could've likely hit 9 pounds with the can on. But I kind of always wanted an AR-10 and it was an election year....

I have a 16" 6.5 barrel on the way, should be any day/week now...

Stocked up on 108/123 Scenars and 130 TMKs along with AR-Comp, Varget, RE17, H4350, and H100V.

Running a new Ares 3-18 on the rifle now (308), but want to try the new Athlon 1-10 when it's released.
I like the Sierra 130 game changers as an all purpose bullet. The TMK work well in my other rifles too.

I built one on an Aero M5E1 reciever set and handgaurd. JP BCG with high pressure bolt and faxon 16" big gunner barrel. I haven't found a lighter 16" barrel yet but it is not what I'd call a tack driver either. Sub 2moa but not a moa gun at all. I used an adjustable gas block. If I started over from scratch, I'd go Wilson combat barrel, standard Areo M5 upper, S one 12" handgaurd, and a lightweight JP carrier.

An adjustable gas block is a must IMO if you reload. I have the JP detent adjustable gas block and the SLR sentry 7, I like the SLR better

Reactions: Earnhardt
Has anyone taken the plunge with a 16” or shorter 6.5 creedmoor AR10?
im feeling the fever to put together another rifle and want to hear any experiences with this barrel length.
mainly to shoot 123-130 grain bullets to harvest deer out to 300 yards.

While my 6.5cm Barrel on my MWS is a 20 incher, I do have a 13.5 inch 308 barrel that I really like, and I see no reason why the same would not be true of a shorter 6.5. I am actually considering to have it chopped back to 16.5, dimpled and mounted into their new extended length upper. The 13.5 is indeed a little blasty, but since most of my stuff is going to be surprpessed, its all good.

I do most of my shooting in WV and considering the enviroment, we are pretty much limited to 1000. There are places where we may be able to push that range out, but for the most part, we shoot a lot in that 400 to 800 yard window. If I was out west and that window was extended to say past 1k, Longer barrels are clearly the better choice.

Question, Is there a reason you are considering a 6.5cm over a 6.5 grendle? I only ask as for the ranges that you are shooting, The grendle is more than capable of fulfilling your task and doing it almost a pound lighter than a 6.5cm. While I am not a hunter, I think that weight is something that important in a field rifle.

Reactions: jwramp
I realize you are asking about semi auto platforms, but I do have a 16" 6.5CM on a R700 that shoots lights out. With 43gr of H4350, I am getting 2650ish fps with 140 ELDM. Velocity might be a little slower with the semi auto due to pressure issues, but I think the trade off is worth it if you plan to run suppressed. I have taken it to 1000 yards with no issues.

While my 6.5cm Barrel on my MWS is a 20 incher, I do have a 13.5 inch 308 barrel that I really like, and I see no reason why the same would not be true of a shorter 6.5. I am actually considering to have it chopped back to 16.5, dimpled and mounted into their new extended length upper. The 13.5 is indeed a little blasty, but since most of my stuff is going to be surprpessed, its all good.

I do most of my shooting in WV and considering the enviroment, we are pretty much limited to 1000. There are places where we may be able to push that range out, but for the most part, we shoot a lot in that 400 to 800 yard window. If I was out west and that window was extended to say past 1k, Longer barrels are clearly the better choice.

Question, Is there a reason you are considering a 6.5cm over a 6.5 grendle? I only ask as for the ranges that you are shooting, The grendle is more than capable of fulfilling your task and doing it almost a pound lighter than a 6.5cm. While I am not a hunter, I think that weight is something that important in a field rifle.
I reload and I’m not interested in adding another caliber at this time.

A 14.5” 6.5CM will give you 24” Grendel performance basically.

It is more than capable of reaching out predictably to 1100-1300yds, depending on altitude/baro pressure.

A 14.5” 6.5CM will spit a 130gr at anywhere from 2460-2560fps, and a 123gr at 2575-2675fps.

That’s plenty of velocity to stay supersonic past 1000yds.

I think the concept of a short 6.5 Creedmoor gas gun is just fantastic, but my research left me a little concerned with the gas pressure curve for the cartridge. Even at the Rifle length gas port, pressures are much higher than with a .308, which can potentially lead to cyclic issues. I settled on an 18" barrel in mine with an Rifle +1" extended gas port and it runs like a dream. When I built mine most people recommended 22" or longer for a semi so that you can use a Rifle +2" gas port, but that consensus seems to be shifting with 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendel, 6mm ARC, etc. all available in much shorter barrels than you used to see just a few years ago.

I've heard people have had success with a 16" 6.5 Creedmoor and rifle-length gas ports, but with a 14.5", you'll probably want an Intermediate gas system, and will definitely want to use an adjustable gas block or carrier to tame the gas flow for reliable function - especially if suppressing. Once you tame the gas system, you should have one hell of a performer.

It is more than capable of reaching out predictably to 1100-1300yds, depending on altitude/baro pressure.

A 14.5” 6.5CM will spit a 130gr at anywhere from 2460-2560fps, and a 123gr at 2575-2675fps.

^^^^
That's some truly impressive performance from a 14.5" barrel.

If the brown truck is good to me, I will get the parts by Friday and get it put together for a trial run on Sunday,

Interesting thread, I didn't know shorter 6.5 was a thing but it sounds cool.

DMR built a 16" gun zinging 123g projos at 2800fps without problems. I'd think you can get closer to 2725-2750 with a 14.5" gun. I'd venture the tighter bore of the 6.5cm would offer increased pressure quicker, most likely, but it's still doable. Not exactly apples to apples, but my 11" 308 Bolt Gun gets 135g SMKs going over 2700fps+ and no pressure.

Oops. Gas gun thread - not bolt gun.

Last edited:
DMR built a 16" gun zinging 123g projos at 2800fps without problems. I'd think you can get closer to 2725-2750 with a 14.5" gun. I'd venture the tighter bore of the 6.5cm would offer increased pressure quicker, most likely, but it's still doable. Not exactly apples to apples, but my 11" 308 Bolt Gun gets 135g SMKs going over 2700fps+ and no pressure.

Oops. Gas gun thread - not bolt gun.
With my 22” Bartlein RLGS .260 Rem, I pretty much max out at 2820fps with 130gr VLD, and maybe 2900fps with 123gr Scenar.

If someone is pushing 123gr to 2800fps from a 16” bolt gun in 6.5CM, they must be using some very efficient powder if they’re staying under SAAMI MAP. It’s doable though. Just under 2700fps would be more common with the upper end of powders, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s one or two powders that would generate those speeds without exceeding peak pressure.

I’ve always found that the gas system timing really determines what you can do in an AR-10 compared to a bolt gun. The closer you push to max charge weights, the lower your case life becomes. A lot of that might be due to my RLGS instead of an ELGS +2”.

I’m lucky to get 3-4 loads from my .260 Rem brass before primer pockets are loose. I started out using Winchester 7mm-08 brass run through a sizing die, feels like sizing fired cases for .260 Rem. I have a bunch of Lapua brass as well, but haven’t used it much.

I just end up loading and shooting 6.5 Grendel since those cases just keep going and going with very little work put into them. I’ve yet to see a loose primer pocket in Hornady or Lapua Grendel brass, and I think I herniated a disc lifting moving boxes full of my Grendel brass, so it isn’t like I’m talking about tiny sample sizes and exaggerating them.

Those are some good numbers from a short barrel. With an AGB I bet it would still be a bear to get to run in an AR10!

With my 22” Bartlein RLGS .260 Rem, I pretty much max out at 2820fps with 130gr VLD, and maybe 2900fps with 123gr Scenar.

If someone is pushing 123gr to 2800fps from a 16” bolt gun in 6.5CM, they must be using some very efficient powder if they’re staying under SAAMI MAP. It’s doable though. Just under 2700fps would be more common with the upper end of powders, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s one or two powders that would generate those speeds without exceeding peak pressure.

I’ve always found that the gas system timing really determines what you can do in an AR-10 compared to a bolt gun. The closer you push to max charge weights, the lower your case life becomes. A lot of that might be due to my RLGS instead of an ELGS +2”.

I’m lucky to get 3-4 loads from my .260 Rem brass before primer pockets are loose. I started out using Winchester 7mm-08 brass run through a sizing die, feels like sizing fired cases for .260 Rem. I have a bunch of Lapua brass as well, but haven’t used it much.

I just end up loading and shooting 6.5 Grendel since those cases just keep going and going with very little work put into them. I’ve yet to see a loose primer pocket in Hornady or Lapua Grendel brass, and I think I herniated a disc lifting moving boxes full of my Grendel brass, so it isn’t like I’m talking about tiny sample sizes and exaggerating them.

No doubt, it’s cooking. Some barrels are far faster than others. I had an identical length and twist Bartlein made for my SBR and I have not found pressure yet. The trend these days is slower with more predictability rather than speed and high ES and SD.

Just mocked up the receiver with the hand guard and I’m getting excited about it!

Attachments

• 259F4B94-8D90-4B16-9A0B-A64FFCD1EC0E.jpeg
    259F4B94-8D90-4B16-9A0B-A64FFCD1EC0E.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 206

With StaBall on the market now, and showing very promising results in many 6.5 short action cartridges, I wonder if 2800fps with a 123gr projectile from a 16" barrel would be possible safely.

I have a 16” TBox 6.5 Creedmoor barrel on order to be built I to an upper for my LMT MWS and SR-25 lowers. Was a tough decision between a 14.5”and a 16”. Decided to avoid the NFA hassle and get a few more FPS out of it. Can’t wait for it to arrive so I can start putting it though it’s paces.

ION the gas tube for the Wilson Combat Intermediate barrel gas system is proprietary. 13.25” instead of the more common 13.75” intermediate gas tube. Now have a Wilson Combat adjustable gas block on order with the approximate tube. anyone ever cut a gas tube to fit before?

Rifle ran fine today with SLR 7 adjustable gas block...

ION the gas tube for the Wilson Combat Intermediate barrel gas system is proprietary. 13.25” instead of the more common 13.75” intermediate gas tube. Now have a Wilson Combat adjustable gas block on order with the approximate tube. anyone ever cut a gas tube to fit before?
I’ve had someone cut a gas tube for me to make a custom length before. Cut from the front, then plugged with a new port cut underneath for the new front. The plug is secured normally and has the roll pin hole as well. It looks like any other gas tube, just .625” shorter than a MLGS tube.

Yeah, I trimmed about 1/2” from the BCG end. Was afraid it would deadline the AR10, but it ran like a top. I have a Wilson Combat adjustable gas block with tube on back order. This set up will keep me in business until it arrives!

Yeah, I trimmed about 1/2” from the BCG end. Was afraid it would deadline the AR10, but it ran like a top. I have a Wilson Combat adjustable gas block with tube on back order. This set up will keep me in business until it arrives!
You’re not supposed to cut that end because of the gas tube flange that seals inside the carrier key. You need a tight fit with the tube and carrier key, otherwise it will short-stroke unless it’s gassed really hard initially. I’ve seen several gas tubes that eventually wore down from one side of the flange and rifles started short-stroking. This has generally been high-volume RLGS guns that just needed a gas tube replacement with optimum alignment and back to work.

Reactions: Earnhardt
You’re not supposed to cut that end because of the gas tube flange that seals inside the carrier key. You need a tight fit with the tube and carrier key, otherwise it will short-stroke unless it’s gassed really hard initially. I’ve seen several gas tubes that eventually wore down from one side of the flange and rifles started short-stroking. This has generally been high-volume RLGS guns that just needed a gas tube replacement with optimum alignment and back to work.
This is just a temp fix until the Wilson Combat AGB gets back into stock....I have one on back order

Shot for accuracy today with 130 TGKs. A load of 42.6 grains of IMR 4451 in Hornady brass with a BR2 primer was gettin near MOA at 100 yards. Velocity was 2588 FPS with a SD of 9. I think things will tighten up once I have more than 200 rounds down the barrel. This is a fun rifle to shoot! Will try the same process with IMR 4350 next weekend to see what that combo will do.

Last edited: