• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

14.5 Geissele barrel p&w + Cerakote

D-minus-a2

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2020
Okay so I have a 14.5 super duty upper that I got last year. I put like 100 rounds through it and ran it over to the local gunsmith to have him p&w my muzzle device. During that time I came across all this info regarding mag phosphate finish being changed to black oxide.

I live in a fairly wet climate and at this point I am considering getting the barrel Cerakoted and wondering about the process. Will the muzzle device have to be removed so the gas block can come off for the Cerakote? I guess I am not sure how the Cerakote process works.

Seems like a huge hassle and kind of bummed I didn’t realize the switch until after the p&w was completed. Thinking I could just buy a new upper and sell of the black oxide one. The upper is great, super soft shooter, accurate, I really hate to go that route.

Thank you guys in advance for the feedback on this.

Last edited:
The barrel could be masked at the muzzle device and the gas tube hole in the block plugged if you didn't want to have to re-pin and weld. The barrel nut presents another problem, but I've worked around that as well. Not ideal, but doable.