• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

14.5" or 16" with mid length gas?

gunslotreaper308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2010
AZ
I'm definitely going with mid length on my next 5.56 build. Is there a noticeable difference between a 14.5" and 16" in a mid length? I'm considering the 14.5 with a battle comp pinned unless there's a reason I should stay with 16". Any input is appreciated.

Re: 14.5" or 16" with mid length gas?

I would get a 16" so you don't need to permanently attach a muzzle device. Any changes in the future will be much easier.

I like the looks and feel (balance) of the 14.5 vs the 16 but like the above post once you have it pinned its on there and will likely be a pain in the ass if you need to remove and more than likely destroying your battle comp etc. With that being said I have 2 14.5 middy's and love them both.

I went with midlength Noveske N4 14.5" with a pinned BC 1.5. I was confident in the configuration and didnt think I could afford the ammo it would take to shoot out the barrel so the pinned muzzle device didn't seem like much of a risk.

I like the longer sight radius and the weight/balance of the rifle.

87eb7de3.jpg

14.5" and 16" is very little difference in performance. I would get a 14.5; however, if you even think you want to suppress it at some time I would put on an AAC 51T Blackout so you can just put the suppressor in it and rock on. I run a 12.5 Noveske and have gotten rid of my 16" upper because they were not that different. When I want to go longer range I bring out the 18" DPMS Mini-SASS.

I have both!
But my 14.5" w/ pinned comp rifle is still waiting for the BCG and handle to get here...
I too had the same delima. I chose an inexpensive compensator (Vltor VC-1 $51) that accepts the Gemtech halo suppressor for a future application. Oh and if you get the BC 2.0 it also accepts a Gemtech Halo suppressor or any other suppressor that was designed to fit a standard A2 flash hider. Read here http://battlecomp.com/store/index.php?ma...4g5b21g65t5cr41

Also it helps to know what your planning to do with the rifle such as range plinking, classes, hunting, service/patrol rifle or competition shooting... Is weight and balance a concern?

Always try to give as much detail as possible like specs, budget, intended use, of what your trying to build or accomplish. More people will tend to respond because they have a better understanding of what your end result is, going to be or trying to do...

Thaks for the replys. I'm not planning on running this rifle suppressed, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to keep my options open in case I change my mind. I have other AR's but all are carbine length gas, this will be my first middy. It will be used primarily for training/classes but will probably end up riding in my truck as well. I would like to keep the weight down as much as possible, but I don't need to get into the light bbl/plastic hand guard territory. I was thinking about putting a DD lite 9 on this one and keeping it pretty simple. Maybe a AFG, but no lights, lasers, NV, thermo, or intergalactic electro-magnetic rail gun attachments.

The 14.5 I'm looking at is a whole BCM BFH upper group (no rail/hand guards installed). Originally I was going to have them pin a 1.5 BC on the end, but it slipped my mind that it may make installing the rail a little rough if there's something permanently attached to the end! I want to keep the FSB. So now I may just order the upper group and deal with the muzzle device later after I install the rail. It is my understanding that I can order and possess the 14.5 (without NFA registration) as long as it’s not attached to a lower... Is that correct? I'm also open to other comps. Anyone have experience with a PWS FSC556?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wilkinkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd get the 14.5 if you want to pay for the stamp. That's my next purchase. </div></div>

I don't want to pay the stamp or register anything... that's why I was going to pin something on the end to make it over 16" OAL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MM1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thaks for the replys. I'm not planning on running this rifle suppressed, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to keep my options open in case I change my mind. I have other AR's but all are carbine length gas, this will be my first middy. It will be used primarily for training/classes but will probably end up riding in my truck as well. I would like to keep the weight down as much as possible, but I don't need to get into the light bbl/plastic hand guard territory. I was thinking about putting a DD lite 9 on this one and keeping it pretty simple. Maybe a AFG, but no lights, lasers, NV, thermo, or intergalactic electro-magnetic rail gun attachments.

The 14.5 I'm looking at is a whole BCM BFH upper group (no rail/hand guards installed). Originally I was going to have them pin a 1.5 BC on the end, but it slipped my mind that it may make installing the rail a little rough if there's something permanently attached to the end! I want to keep the FSB. So now I may just order the upper group and deal with the muzzle device later after I install the rail. It is my understanding that I can order and possess the 14.5 (without NFA registration) as long as it’s not attached to a lower... Is that correct? I'm also open to other comps. Anyone have experience with a PWS FSC556?
</div></div>

Thank you for adding some detail.
As far as owning a 14.5" upper with out the pinned device I wouldn't recommend it. Read this court case http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/tc.html
If I'm understanding the case correctly , even if you own an sbr upper with out the intention to mount it on a standard lower ( non registered sbr or pistol lower) but own or posses a standard lower reciever that it can be attached to. It will be viewed by the law that it is your "intent" to mount it on a lower in your possesion or you wouldn't have purchased the SBR upper in the first place thus creating "constructive possesion" or now saying you intend to break the law.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jn_fsu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MM1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thaks for the replys. I'm not planning on running this rifle suppressed, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to keep my options open in case I change my mind. I have other AR's but all are carbine length gas, this will be my first middy. It will be used primarily for training/classes but will probably end up riding in my truck as well. I would like to keep the weight down as much as possible, but I don't need to get into the light bbl/plastic hand guard territory. I was thinking about putting a DD lite 9 on this one and keeping it pretty simple. Maybe a AFG, but no lights, lasers, NV, thermo, or intergalactic electro-magnetic rail gun attachments.

</div></div>

Thank you for adding some detail.
As far as owning a 14.5" upper with out the pinned device I wouldn't recommend it. Read this court case http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/tc.html
If I'm understanding the case correctly , even if you own an sbr upper with out the intention to mount it on a standard lower ( non registered sbr or pistol lower) but own or posses a standard lower reciever that it can be attached to. It will be viewed by the law that it is your "intent" to mount it on a lower in your possesion or you wouldn't have purchased the SBR upper in the first place thus creating "constructive possesion" or now saying you intend to break the law. </div></div>

Got it. I definitely want to avoid that whole situation. Thanks for the link. I guess most guys running 14.5's w/ perm attached comps must buy them with the rails already installed then (unless its a two piece rail)?

3 months ago I found myself basically where you are. I wanted a 14.5" barrel with pinned muzzle device making it a "legal" 16". I already owned a 16" BCM (SS410) Midlength upper and wanted to get a BCM 14.5" to go with it. But I ran into a few things I couldn't get past. One was finding a two piece affordable free float rail that was light weight and I liked. Two was I really didn't want any of the muzzle devices offered. So I looked around and found exactly what I wanted from a company called Loki Weapon Systems. They offered an affordable 14.5" upper in midlength configuration and also offered custom services. So I contacted Erik at LWS , a really great guy by the way. I asked if I could provide the muzzle device and rail. He said it was no problem and adjusted the cost of the upper since I was providing my own parts. Aaron there gun smith did an very nice jod assembling/building the whole thing. At one point just before the build started I spoke with Erik about there railed gas block and height so I could figure out if it was same plain as my rail to add a front sight. He offered for a little bit more cash to add a gas block with a flip up front sight from YHM (which i'm loving the H&K style sight ) which is what I went with. It was great to be able to customize my upper verses just buying what is offered. Go check them out lokiweaponsystems.com. If you have any questions give the a call or shoot an email there always helpful and usually respond pretty quickly.
Here are a few pics of my upper by LWS...

IMAG0171.jpg

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg

IMAG0187.jpg

First off you will really like the mid-length.

14.5 Middies are very sweet shooting, but there are more (don't read "all" "alot" or a "ton of", just "more") problems with them shooting softer ammo. If you plan to shoot 5.56 loads, nothing to even think about. If you don't mind messing with a different buffer, again probably easily fixed if you have a problem. Most don't have any problems, just an FYI.

My advice would be to get a 16" just for the advantage of being able to change your setup if you ever decide to. If you are confident you will never change anything or just go with a drop-in rail at some later time, a 14.5" is good choice. I can't bring myself to get a permanent muzzle device as I don't want to loose the ability of taking my uppers apart.

You might also want to consider a LW profile for either to shed a little weight up front and make the rifle that much more handy.