• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

14.7in 6.8 Barrel Pinned Muzzle Device

HairyDemon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2013
San Antonio, TX
I have an AR receiver set in the safe awaiting a 6.8 Barrel to come in stock. I found that Wilson Combat has 14.7 in Barrels in stock. They are 1/11 twist and I dig the profile. I would prefer an ARP setup but who knows how long that would take. I like the idea of having the rifle a little bit shorter as it will be a hunting gun. 0-300. I dont think I would loose too much FPS in that 1.3 inch difference. My main question is has anyone ever pinned a barrel before, I was planning on bring it to a smith and not gun-plumber this job. I am not swimming in funds right now with the MATEN build I have going too so I could wait on the ARP 16 to come back in stock. Just kicking the idea around.

Is the juice worth the queeze for extra work and money for a 14.7 over waiting for a 16?

I built a 6.8x43 (the ARP chamber is a little different than the SPCII) with the ARP Scout barrel 2 years ago. It was my first build ever and the thing shoots light out.
If it were me I would hold off and buy a matching barrel and bolt from ARP and you will not be disappointed. The whole thing should come headspaced correctly....

I know the waiting game is tough but it will be worth it in the end. I actually put a ARP brake on the rifle and added a VLTOR A5 recoil spring an H1 buffer and the gun recoils like a 9mm!!!

Last edited:
I have an AR receiver set in the safe awaiting a 6.8 Barrel to come in stock. I found that Wilson Combat has 14.7 in Barrels in stock. They are 1/11 twist and I dig the profile. I would prefer an ARP setup but who knows how long that would take. I like the idea of having the rifle a little bit shorter as it will be a hunting gun. 0-300. I dont think I would loose too much FPS in that 1.3 inch difference. My main question is has anyone ever pinned a barrel before, I was planning on bring it to a smith and not gun-plumber this job. I am not swimming in funds right now with the MATEN build I have going too so I could wait on the ARP 16 to come back in stock. Just kicking the idea around.

Is the juice worth the queeze for extra work and money for a 14.7 over waiting for a 16?
, just have WC pin it when you order it
just picked a WC billet upper pinned 14.7

Attachments

• 6.8111.jpg
    6.8111.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 26
I use a pinned LWRC M6A2 upper. Difference in MV over a true 16" barrel is ~25-30 fps. It is very nice.

Up to you based on patience. I have the patience of a flea when it comes to getting new toys. I also may be moving to an NFA friendly state so it will be cheaper when I convert to SBR.

Good luck with your decision.