• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

140 A-max 6.5 Oddity!! Seems out of spec.

Wildwillalaska

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
So tonight I was excitedly getting ready to take my 260 Hospitaller for our first trip to the range. Just received my modified case to check proper ogive and COAL, and had also received some Lapua brass, along with 140 Berger and A-max projectiles.

All seemed perfect until I opened the first box of the 140 A-max' that just arrived from Midway USA and right off the bat I noticed a real oddity--one of the projectiles appeared slightly larger--

Like twice as large, both in diameter (.264 vs .457) and twice the weight, 300gr vs 140gr. Yepper, you got it, somehow a 45 cal, 300 grain soft point slug (looks like a leverlution for a 45/70) found its way into my new sealed box and inner bag of A-max's.

Worst of all, I got shorted two 6.5 pills. My nice new box only had 98 of the 140's and then the one 300--assuming automated system fills by weight. This was an easy one to spot--jumps right out at you, some might not. Good example why it's good to inspect and compare your components.

Just a little out of spec. Noticed where you are from. Kenai is a pretty place. Our oldest boy lives in Anchorage.

I would probably drop your powder charge 1 grain before loading that one ;)

Think I figured it out--I must be a new LR version wither higher BC that they included to try--one free with each box. Still miffed I got shorted my $0.65 for the two missing boolits.