• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 140 Berger in 6.5 Gets Stuck In Feed Ramp GAP 10

triplecelectric

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2009
Valencia, Ca.
I loaded up some 6.5 Creedmore 140 VLD Hunting rounds mag length and bullet gets stuck in the feed ramp of my GAP 10.

I tried shortening them however it seems the bullet is too thin from tip to ogive to feed properly and wedges in between the teeth.

I've only shot the Hornady Factory ammo prior to this which functions fine.

Anybody have any ideas? I don't think reworking the feed ramps would do anything because the tip of the bullet also hits the chamber rim.

Should I just pick another bullet? What really sucks is I loaded 100 of them and it seems like I'll be spending some quality time with the hammer.....

Re: 140 Berger in 6.5 Gets Stuck In Feed Ramp GAP 10

There are two options.

1.) Only use tangent ogive bullets.

2.) Open up and pollish out the M4 cuts in the feed ramp and blend them in with the lower and you should be fine. (you need the proper tools and knowledge for this option.)

your choice is to change bullets or fix the problem...to me, it's not a problem.

As to the vld's you have, just shoot the VLD's single shot then load something else...no need for the hammer.

I'd just open the ramp as needed...modifying the ramp and polishing it out isn't too difficult if you're at all mechanically inclined. You'd be surprised what you can do with a rotary tool.

I got the same problem in my custom AR 10 .308 with Berger 175 grn. Same weight in a SM will load no problem but the Bergers are to pointed and jam on the feed ramp. to bad the Bergers are higher BC and I had a bunch of em. They were loaded to fit in P Mags so the OAL was the same. I just shelved em my bolt gun dont like em either.