• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

jkramlich

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
Good evening everybody. I had a couple of quick questions as I am newer to reloading and only have experience with my 6.5 cm. I had a perfect load set up for .2 moa at 600 yards but as we all know with recent demands, I had to switch up my load. Before I was shooting 140 eld-m’s, hornady brass, CCi 200 primers, and 40.4gr IMR4350. I won’t get into head spacing, neck tension or bullet length. Well I now had to switch to 140 eld-m’s, Peterson brass, cci-200 primers, and still the same 40.4 of IMR4350. I had the exact same setup as the previous load, just with different brass. After going to the range today, I was shooting a consistent .1 moa at 100 yards. As soon as I moved back out to 600 yards I was shooting 3 moa with low sd’s. What I’m asking I guess is this: do I have to start from square one in order to regain that accuracy? If not, what am I doing wrong. Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Your 100y bugholes opened to 18" at 600y?!?

What were conditions like?
Scope used? Equipment? Barrel twist?
Did you add something to the muzzle--can or brake after shooting at 100y?

Something doesn't add up...

Your 100y bugholes opened to 18" at 600y?!?

What were conditions like?
Scope used? Equipment? Barrel twist?
Did you add something to the muzzle--can or brake after shooting at 100y?

Something doesn't add up...
I mistyped. It opened up to 2 moa 12” is still massive at that distance. 2 mph wind left to right. Vortex a razor gen 2 4.5-27x56. Rifle is a bergara ridgeback w/ triggertech diamond, factory 24” barrel w/ hellfire break. Everything was the exact same conditions before and after. I cleaned my rifle but then shot 10-15 rounds before going back out to a longer range

Something isn't right--Stray Dog is right--groups don't open up like that.

Thats too big to be a load issue

Peterson brass is generally thicker than Hornaday. (less case capacity) Resulting in higher velocity when using the same charge weight.
Always start over when changing components.

after you cleaned the gun etc, did you go back and shoot at 100 yds with super tiny groups?

after you cleaned the gun etc, did you go back and shoot at 100 yds with super tiny groups?
Yes after cleaning the barrel, I shot 10 into the dirt in order to flush away any excess lube. Then after those shots I was shooting 5 into the same hole at 100.

How many rounds on the barrel? Was it super hot out mirage can do funny things that distance.
I have exactly 658 rounds on the barrel. I have kept extensive research in a shooting binder. Yesterday it was 68 degrees f, 2-3 mph wind left to right, and around 62% humidity. After shooting each shot at 600 there was a bit of mirage but nothing crazy.

well that's crazy. maybe try 100, then 200 then 300 etc out to 600 and see where it falls apart. it sounds like it is b/c you did it before, but is your scope and eyesight powerful enough to get a solid sight pic at 600. any chance there were gusty winds out there but you were more protected at 100.

also is the spread vertical or horizontal or both.

My initial 'assumptions' that everything shooting wise being fundamental is that wind gives you left-right dispersion and load issues will contribute more to up-down dispersion. Its not 100% but at the gross level that may give you a clue.

Reactions: AllenOne1
I just want to know where you got Peterson large primer brass and eldm’s to play with? if new Peterson brass what was your brass prep?