• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1400 Meter test this AM

CoryT

Gunsite Rangemaster
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 5, 2004
    Paulden, AZ
    www.gunsite.com
    I went out this morning for a quick test of the 20" Ashbury Intl Group .338LM Surgeon system and I thought I'd share.

1400m-250Tgt-Web.jpg

The cold clean bore shot is in the lower left corner, shot 3 broke about .1 mil high and is the high left shot.

20Inch-Web.jpg

A complete article on the system will appear in the next issure of Special Weapons from Harris Publications

Re: 1400 meter test this AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    What glass is that? Almost looks like a Leupold at first glance.</div></div>

Looks like a S&B 5-25.

What can is that?

The scope is a S&B 5-25 with a P4 reticle. The can is a Surefire. The ammo used for the test was RUAG 250gr Target. The group measures out at 1.08 MOA. If you threw out the shot I called high, the other four come in at .419 MOA.

The P4 reticle is a bit thick for group shooting on a plain white plate. If I was clever, I'd paint some thin lines on the plates to give me a precise place to hold. The windage hold was easy, 1 mil right on the right edge of the plate. Did the same damn thing on shot 4 at 1300m testing the 300 grain load right after shooting this group.

The 600 meter zero groups from yesterday worked out a lot better using the Gunsite 200 yard zero target. That gives a 6" white square inside a 12" black square, nice edges to hold on.

The 27" test gun has the Gen II XR reticle, as does my S&B 5-25, which I really like a lot. I'm hoping to get one of the Premier 5-25's with that reticle when then come out.

The 20" gun handles very nicely. I'm planning on trying for a 1600 meter group with the 300gr load tomorrow before class. It will be down near 1090fps out of that gun, so we'll see how it goes.

Badass looking rig. Only 1600 with a 20" barrel. If you want to trade I have a 260 with a 26" barrel
    grin.gif

That is a thing of beauty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Called it... </div></div>

Very funny LL.

There will be some of the prototype stocks built into new systems, followed by complete new systems in the Phase I type stock, which does not have the full length top rail, but uses a standard scope rail and a forward section for accessories. This should all happen before the end of the year, or so they tell me.

The PSR shooting test is supposed to happen sometime in September, they are pretty focused on that, as you might imagine.

If I recall correctly, 14.7, I'd have to look at the log to be sure. The PDA is at the house. We are at 4500 feet, so the station pressure was around 25.53, temp 64F and RH 12%. I get 2690fps with the 250's , but I don't recall the BC, it's lower than the 250 Scenars.

The RUAG AP shoots best, but it's crazy expensive. The 250 Scenars with 96gr of Retumbo get a little more velocity and a better BC, in the 20" gun I get 2780fps and 3030fps in the 27". I'm using 88.5gr with the 300 Scenars for 2750 in the 27", I've not tested that yet in the 20"

My current position is the 300's don't go fast enough, so I prefer the 250's. The next mag box should allow for 3.9" or so of COAL, so we'll see if that helps. I'm pressure limited at 3.681" and 88.5 and there's still room in the case, so it might not do much for pressures.