• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1420 yds, My limitations with 6.5 Creedmoor

VKC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Battle Born, U.S.A.
So I shot my DTA SRS SAC 6.5 Creedmoor out to 1420 yards at a 12” wide chest-sized steel plate. I was shooting pointed 142gr SMK @2920fps.

Out of 40 shots total, without excluding “sighters” etc, I made hits on steel with 18 shots. This calculates out to be a 45% hit probability.

Now at first I was a little disappointed at myself. After all, there are so many posts on many forums, stating that you can easily make hits out pass a mile or whatever extreme distance with a 6.5 Creedmoor or whatever similar caliber easily because it doesn’t drop pass subsonic until you get to whatever extreme distance. There are also many posts that clearly state that if you shoot x amount of yards then this or that caliber is what is you want for whatever reason, some good advice but others not.

For example, with my shooting conditions and rifle, my bullet doesn’t go subsonic until about 1800 yds. So shouldn’t my 6.5 Creedmoor be at least an 1800 yds capable round if I “do my part”? What about all those guys shooting pass subsonic and getting “consistent hits no problem”?

First off, if I posted just the pic with only my hits and didn’t tell you about my misses that would look pretty great. Of course, no one does that.

Another factor to consider is that there are limited places where you can actually shoot that far safely and legally. I had to shoot from the top of a large hill to another, across a valley, up in the mountains, out in the desert, to get that far...of course in a secret location.

How about just having a range finder that can accurately range that far? A 20 yard ranging error (1.4%) at that distance would result in a 0.3mil difference in drop, or more than 15”, which is enough to completely miss the target. I used a Vectronix Terrapin on a tripod.

I was shooting in 3-5mph crosswinds or at least that is what my Kestrel told me. How about the different winds in the valley? Any wind swirling? Any winds during the bullet path at different distances not accounted for by my Kestrel at my shooting site?

Here’s the “big kicker”… With a 3mph wind that is a 0.7mil drift. With a 4mph wind that is a 0.9mil drift. With a 5mph that is a 1.1mil drift. So you would have to be able to estimate wind to within 1.5 mph and definitely less than 2mph, to be able to hit that 12” target "consistently" with this caliber.

I personally can’t estimate wind velocity to less than 2mph, so with my limitations, I only hit the target 45% of the time.

How about spin drift, variation in powder charge and velocity, velocity change with temperature, etc..etc.

Bryan Litz has a great book called “Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting” that explains hit probabilities at different distances with different variables. This book put things such as how much of a difference another caliber will make for a shooter, depending on their ability, into perspective. I highly suggest reading this. Disclaimer that I don't get any benefit from him selling his books.

So at least for me, my 6.5 Creedmoor is not an 1800 yards nor 1420 yard “capable” round/rifle, as I don’t think such a low hit probability is acceptable depending on the situation and the ramifications of misses. There is much more than calculating when a caliber goes subsonic to determining it’s and your max efficiency range or the ideal caliber for shooting x distance.

I’m not trying to start an argument with anyone, as I’m sure that are many excellent shooters here, just food for thought. Thanks for reading.

I think you did pretty darn well. It's good to read a post and get to the end and not have all the BS. I applaud your cander in telling the truth, if half the people did, there would be fewer back patters out there. Nice work Sir. I mean that.

xdeano

Aside from atmospherics (aside from wind) which you haven't shared, how can anyone argue with facts you gathered yourself, with your rifle, on your home turf?

You are correct there are assloads of stories of undergunned people hammering steal at extreme ranges. But they don't include all of the facts as you have.
I shoot a 260 routinely, with 142 SMKs at 2880. My results would be similar to yours I suspect. If I wanted to reach 1400 reliably I'd go with a 7mm or my 338LM.

It was fun to "try" though wasn't it?

5006 ft
30.02 inHg
70.1 F
33.2%

And yes, even though the numbers told me the odds would be against me, it was really fun to try. Pushing the limit...That's why we do it, right?

When people say that the round is capable out to that distance, they are generally speaking about it's ability to group elevation-wise. Wind is wind, when that 142 gr bullet loses it's speed, it starts getting blown all over the place. I think holding in the wind is fun though. EDIT: You also weren't shooting at a very big target... Most full silhouettes will be around 20 inches wide...

Last edited:
I shoot a 260 and find that hit ratio impressive for that distance on that size of target with your 6.5 CM! Was that program on your phone, shooter? Also, just wondering about your load, what powder, etc?

Great shooting and thanks for the write up.

The logic you outly in your piece is exactly why the military says that X caliber has an XYZ max effecetive range. At some point the hit probability is too low for military standards. I will say I am impressed with even a 45% hit probablity and I appreciate you giving us all the details. I've seen to many steel targets with hits all over with "0 misses."

It looks like you have 3 distinct groups going on there. One at 1 o'clock, one at 7 o'clock and one at 3 o'clock. is that the case? Were you adjusting wind and elevation during your 40 shot string?

Just curious.

-J

It looks like you have 3 distinct groups going on there. One at 1 o'clock, one at 7 o'clock and one at 3 o'clock. is that the case? Were you adjusting wind and elevation during your 40 shot string?

Just curious.

-J

I'm curious also, my targets never look that if I have that many hits on them!

Personally I admire the honesty and integrity of your post, it's refreshing. Most are bragging style posts of taking a gun to the absolute limits of it's capabilities.

As stated great shooting. All of ballistic data I've got from my GA Crusader shooting the 140 vlds is that 1450 to 1500 is about all I can get before going subsonic. I'm only 400 asl and I don't know your atmospheric conditions but i would be pretty happy at that distance with that number of grouped hits. A lot can happen at that distance , especially when they start slowing down. I don't know if this has been asked but out of all your shots ... How much shooting were you doing in each string and in what amount of time?? Only reason I ask is I'm wondering about barrel temp

Just curious.

-J

I can't explain the 3 groups with certainty, as I did not have a remote camera to see where my hits were, and couldn't examine the target until after I was done. All I can say is that I was making wind holds and then adjusting off my misses, once I made a hit I would quickly made follow-up shots with several sequential hits before the wind conditions changed. Then I would wait until I got what I though was the same wind condition, and start shooting again etc.

As stated great shooting. All of ballistic data I've got from my GA Crusader shooting the 140 vlds is that 1450 to 1500 is about all I can get before going subsonic. I'm only 400 asl and I don't know your atmospheric conditions but i would be pretty happy at that distance with that number of grouped hits. A lot can happen at that distance , especially when they start slowing down. I don't know if this has been asked but out of all your shots ... How much shooting were you doing in each string and in what amount of time?? Only reason I ask is I'm wondering about barrel temp

I shot 40 rounds over the span of almost 2 hours. Strings were 3 to 7 shots depending on wind conditions. My barrel got warm to touch but not too hot to grab.

Load and rifle information:
- DTA SRS with 6.5 Creedmoor 26" Short Action Customs 1 in 8" twist melonited barrel with AAC Cyclone
- 142 pointed SMK
- 42.8grs of RL-17
- Hornandy 6.5 Creedmoor fired brass
- CCI #200 large rifle primers (I've used BR2 as well but not found any significant difference)
- Trimmed length, chamfer'd and deburr'd
- Did not weight sort brass, primers or bullets but all are from the same lot

You did a great job, nice shooting.

I can't help but notice 3 distinct groups on the plate which at short distances might indicate some issue with the shooter or the rifle itself, however considering the distance and 2+ seconds of flight time (plus the fact that its handily under MOA at that distance) I would rule those out.

What instead I would suggest is to spend some time with a good chrono and shoot the same load, carefully trickled charges, and uniformed bullets from those pieces of brass again. Use the fired brass and note the water capacity of each case. Using a sharpie, serialize the cases so you can track the ID of each and then load up and check velocity from each one. Then group those cases and do the same thing again. See if you have repeatability of those groupings.

Given success there (and I've seen it work a couple of times so you might be surprised) I would go back out and try this again but with the cases that shot the tight velocity groupings. I'm strongly suspicious your already good group size will shrink out there.

Nice shooting, looks like it was a fun time.

You did a great job, nice shooting.

I can't help but notice 3 distinct groups on the plate which at short distances might indicate some issue with the shooter or the rifle itself, however considering the distance and 2+ seconds of flight time (plus the fact that its handily under MOA at that distance) I would rule those out.

What instead I would suggest is to spend some time with a good chrono and shoot the same load, carefully trickled charges, and uniformed bullets from those pieces of brass again. Use the fired brass and note the water capacity of each case. Using a sharpie, serialize the cases so you can track the ID of each and then load up and check velocity from each one. Then group those cases and do the same thing again. See if you have repeatability of those groupings.

Given success there (and I've seen it work a couple of times so you might be surprised) I would go back out and try this again but with the cases that shot the tight velocity groupings. I'm strongly suspicious your already good group size will shrink out there.

Nice shooting, looks like it was a fun time.

As usual you can always count on Bohem to say something informative and educational. I've learned a lot from his posts.

It might be worth switching to H4350 as its a less temperature sensitive powder and runs damn good out of the .260's.

I tried H4350 and did not get l as much velocity. Did temperature testing and did not find any significant difference in temperature variation vs RL17.

Man. That's some quality shooting and calculation. 45% is still pretty damn good for hit capability on a SUB MOA plate; I'd have to wonder how far off the "misses" were. I'm paltry with my .308, and get seriously schooled past 700 yards. Good scientific precision there boss.

I get schooled with a 308 as well. The wind drift advantages of a 6.5 just make a huge difference.

My 1st miss was 0.1mils high from ranging error. The rest were off to the sides from wind call errors. I think shooting quick follow-up shots before the conditions changed made a big difference.

Man. That's some quality shooting and calculation. 45% is still pretty damn good for hit capability on a SUB MOA plate.

+1 on that. 1420 yards is 0.8 miles. A 12-inch plate at that distance is a T-I-N-Y target.

I just got back from a trip where I had my first chance to shoot beyond 1000 yds. At a mile, I got 4 hits out of 8 shots with my 6.5x47L, but my target was the size of a trophy elk and I was counting rump shots as hits.

I think you should be pleased with your performance. It only takes a tiny change in the wind to miss that little plate. Nice work!

Last edited:
Not only is that great shooting in my eyes, I also find your humble approach to the issue very inspiring. Thanks for sharing, I hope to get to shoot (and maybe score) at such distance, too!

Ya I am totally impressed with your effort, skill, and post in general. I feel that .308, 6mm's, 7mm's, 300 win mags are all good to a 1000 to 1200 yards. After that it gets a little dicey. I'm not saying you can't make good hits, but shooting groups at 1400 with any of those cartridges is really tough. You shot great for that range and would probable smoke 75% of shooters, including myself. Shooting groups at a 1400 plus is for the big guns, .338 mags, .375 cheytacs, .408 cheytacs .50 cal.
Great job and a good post. Interesting and just goes to show how tough this sport can be.

Ya I am totally impressed with your effort, skill, and post in general. I feel that .308, 6mm's, 7mm's, 300 win mags are all good to a 1000 to 1200 yards. After that it gets a little dicey. I'm not saying you can't make good hits, but shooting groups at 1400 with any of those cartridges is really tough. You shot great for that range and would probable smoke 75% of shooters, including myself. Shooting groups at a 1400 plus is for the big guns, .338 mags, .375 cheytacs, .408 cheytacs .50 cal.
Great job and a good post. Interesting and just goes to show how tough this sport can be.

Thanks for the kind words.

Actually earlier this week, myself and "SigsauerP229" shot out to 1140yds at the same target. The wind conditions were tougher and one can get frustrated easily in different conditions but I think we should have realistic expectations. Just wanted to put things into perspective.

Actually I think the 7mm mags with 180vld have a distinct advantage and depending on conditions can be stretched out to 1600 yds with fair success.

Have to agree that the big calibers shine at extreme distances. Jus wish I had deeper pockets to shoot them.

Last edited:
The logic you outly in your piece is exactly why the military says that X caliber has an XYZ max effecetive range. At some point the hit probability is too low for military standards. I will say I am impressed with even a 45% hit probablity and I appreciate you giving us all the details. I've seen to many steel targets with hits all over with "0 misses."

+1, nice job

As usual you can always count on Bohem to say something informative and educational. I've learned a lot from his posts.

In the few short years that I have been a member here (and lurking for 2 years before that) I have noticed a real decrease in the signal to noise ratio of the info on this forum. A few members like Bohem that speak from actual trigger time and are willing to share without being dbags keep me coming back. Think of it like sifting thru pasture patties for those kernels of corn. :)

To the OP, all of the variables you face are links in a chain and a 45% hit ratio on that plate at that range indicate that you are doing several things right. I shoot to distances that I know my hit probabilities are low because it lets me know what ranges my hit probabilities are acceptable for live game. I need to move to NV so I am not limited by my local ranges property boundaries.

All I can say is great shooting. That is excellent with a 6.5 creedmoor. It is also very refreshing to hear about all the facts and not just the 3 shots that hit close together out of 10 and cropping the pic just right so it looks like an insane group. Also, that is smoking for a creedmoor. I have a ton of H4350, but after reading this, I might have to buy a couple of #s of Re17. Thanks for sharing.

When people say that the round is capable out to that distance, they are generally speaking about it's ability to group elevation-wise. Wind is wind, when that 142 gr bullet loses it's speed, it starts getting blown all over the place. I think holding in the wind is fun though. EDIT: You also weren't shooting at a very big target... Most full silhouettes will be around 20 inches wide...

I was gonna say the same thing! You can shoot .308 at a mile but your propensity for being consistently on target will be less than with a round with better BC or MV. I say good shooting considering! But like you, I wouldn't be satisfied with 50/50 ratio!

So let me ask a <S>couple</S> question<S>s</S>:
  • Was your gun leveled? I mean, are you 100% sure you were dead level for every single shot?
  • <s>Were you shooting hand loads or factory ammo?</s> Nevermind...

If your rifle is canted, even by a few degrees, your bullet will miss... I think your wind call was probably the biggest challenge and rightfully so! Without a spotter, it's really hard to get a good wind call at that distance.

Last edited: