• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

1426 yard deer

wadcutter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
NSW Australia
www.austargets.com
Hi,
Not sure if this should be posted here or in the hunting section so if it is in the wrong place please let me know.

Anyway I went hunting Sambar deer down here in Australia last Tuesday and managed a PB long range shot on one. The distance was 1426 yards from on top of a rocky ridge to a hill face on the oporsite side of the valley.

I was using a .338 Edge with a 300gn SMK at 2820 fps muzzle velocity. Here is a picture of the rifle set up on the ridge an hour or so before the shot.
hind2.jpg

Re: 1426 yard deer

Just tried to put the video with it but it went sideways so am putting it here.

I took some video footage and have just put it on youtube at this link <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XsimwHd-BW0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XsimwHd-BW0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Thanks SingleShot85,
It sure takes some time to get there. When I took the shot it didn't seem that long but I was riding the rifle recoil so a lot of things happen in a shot time span.
This shot is the result of thousands of rounds of field practice, not something that I would recomend without it.

That was bad ass. I'm going for a 500 yard head shot on one of my doe tags. Will post vid too if I get it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowstryder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fantastic shot! How big are those deer anyway? </div></div>
The Hinds are about 300lb to 400lb and the stags are about 400lb to 550lb sometimes bigger. The one shot in the video would have been about 350lb.
There were a couple of others lower down in the video clip.

excellent shot. we're just waitin on rifle season over here in the states. not that far away.........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wadcutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowstryder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fantastic shot! How big are those deer anyway? </div></div>
The Hinds are about 300lb to 400lb and the stags are about 400lb to 550lb sometimes bigger. The one shot in the video would have been about 350lb.
There were a couple of others lower down in the video clip.</div></div>

Ok I just looked those deer up, you need to come to TX and I'll trade you a whitetail trophy for one of your Stag trophy!!!!!!!

Great shooting and thanks for sharing!

Nice shooting Wadcutter but I gotta say I think a shot at that distance on a large animal like a Sambar is a little irresponsible .Its not an easy shot and a stray bullet can easy take of a jaw and leave that animal to suffer -please think about this before doing these distances -still nice shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jrp817</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow!!! Great shot. What contour and length is your barrel? </div></div>
Its a bit of a custom contour. 5" knox form then down to 1" over 3" then down to 0.87" at the muzzle. 1 : 10 twist.
Action is a Remington fully trued with the bolt sleeved. It locks up nice and tight. Stock is off the Sendero donor. Brake is a Sako TRG type.
Chamber has a long cut throat so that I can get a COAL of 3.920" with the 300gn SMK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting Wadcutter but I gotta say I think a shot at that distance on a large animal like a Sambar is a little irresponsible .Its not an easy shot and a stray bullet can easy take of a jaw and leave that animal to suffer -please think about this before doing these distances -still nice shooting </div></div>
ch'e.
I don't like to see an animal suffer any more than you.
A precision LR shot has more chance of <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> wounding a deer than most of the nuff nuff's hunting the bush in your Kiamanawa and Kaweka ranges. They shoot at running deer and think nothing of it. I should know, I guided there for 8 years.
I fire thousands of rounds in LR practice and competition each year, you work up to a shot like this. There is a fair bit involved.

Great shooting, and the right gun for the job. I didn't realize those were cow
elk sized animals. Fun getting him out or was it all downhill?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting Wadcutter but I gotta say I think a shot at that distance on a large animal like a Sambar is a little irresponsible .Its not an easy shot and a stray bullet can easy take of a jaw and leave that animal to suffer -please think about this before doing these distances -still nice shooting </div></div>

I see nothing wrong with the shot....sounds like enough practice is there.

The guy wanting to take a 500 yd head shot, however, is irresponsible. Off by <.5MOA and off with the jaw.

Some really good shooting Wadcutter!! Aside from the shooting aspect, it takes a lot of discipline to spot the animals at that distance - a lot of times I have trouble spotting deer in brush at 300 yards =)

Fortunately the deer didn't take a step during that long flight time of the bullet or the deer would have been gut shot.

Nice shot. With time of flight greater than 2 seconds that is spectacular. A lot can happen in 2 seconds.

Fantastic shot. I would not have tried it for some of the reasons stated here, but that's much more about my own confidence in my own skills than about anything you've done.

I bow to superior ability.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wadcutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks SingleShot85,
It sure takes some time to get there. When I took the shot it didn't seem that long but I was riding the rifle recoil so a lot of things happen in a shot time span.
This shot is the result of thousands of rounds of field practice, not something that I would recomend without it.
</div></div>

Nice, did you practise togheter with the deer, asserting you he could stand completely still for 2 seconds when you gave him the secret signal and so on?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wadcutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting Wadcutter but I gotta say I think a shot at that distance on a large animal like a Sambar is a little irresponsible .Its not an easy shot and a stray bullet can easy take of a jaw and leave that animal to suffer -please think about this before doing these distances -still nice shooting </div></div>
ch'e.
I don't like to see an animal suffer any more than you.
A precision LR shot has more chance of <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> wounding a deer than most of the nuff nuff's hunting the bush in your Kiamanawa and Kaweka ranges. They shoot at running deer and think nothing of it. </div></div>

But isn't that a bit like saying " Yes, I drive without seatbelt, but its not unsafe compared to riding a bike without a helmet, therefore I am a responsible."

Let me ask you this, why not stalk closer to the game, say 300 yards and shoot from that distance instead? I prefer to shoot my prey from 200 yards, tops.

It`s called hunting, not deer sniping. A real hunter can sneak up on his or her game. A lot of people shoot game at extreme long range and often wound the animal and never know about it, often going off somewhere and dying. Most people today think they have to have a 338 superdooper magnum to hunt with just to impress their friends and bystanders and then bragg on the web. Give the animal a chance.

It looks like alot of people get a little pissy when a shot gets made that they arnt capable of making. Great shooting!

Dustin

Those who can do, those who can't bitch!!! I've shot game at mere feet with wood bow and arrow and I've shot game at long range with dedicate rifles and gear, they are the same and take the same amount of preparation and skill. I don't hunt to dance with it I hunt to kill it, I'm going to give an animal as little a chance as I possibly can!!!!
I read about all the game wounded by long range hunter but I've never seen them, I have had to track and kill a few animal with botched shots at close range but never at long range!!

Hell of a good shot and great work!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigngreen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those who can do, those who can't bitch!!! I've shot game at mere feet with wood bow and arrow and I've shot game at long range with dedicate rifles and gear, they are the same and take the same amount of preparation and skill. I don't hunt to dance with it I hunt to kill it, I'm going to give an animal as little a chance as I possibly can!!!!
I read about all the game wounded by long range hunter but I've never seen them, I have had to track and kill a few animal with botched shots at close range but never at long range!!

Hell of a good shot and great work!!! </div></div>

Well said!!

"give the animal a chance" --- complete bull!

hunters take every advantage possible.

Great shot!!

Great shooting¡¡

What kind of terminal performance did you get out of the bullet?

Why so much critics? If he has trained and has confidence in the shot, he is way more responsible than thousands of hunters that keep the rifle in a damp safe for months and just take it out for the hunt.

Also, no one has asked if those deer need to be culled for some reason.

There is a lot of what ifs by the opposers of LR hunting... but he dind´t miss.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dustin Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like alot of people get a little pissy when a shot gets made that they arnt capable of making. Great shooting!

Dustin </div></div>

I know I'm competent enough to hit a 20x20" steel at 1000 meters with my .308, its not even hard. But that doesn't mean I think its appropriate to even try at deers on 500 meters just because "I can". Deers can make a sudden move, meaning I'm ending up in the rumen instead of the chest, or even worse low in the legs.

If I make a bad call on the steel or paper target = no problem, but if I make a bad call on a living animal, I end up in a moral and unethical situation, since hunting barely can be seen as a survival thing these days (Custom built .338 Edge + Nightforce scope will buy you lots of meat).

I think this is related to each person's capacity for empathy, which is probably related to one's intelligence. Me human, and perhaps you caveman it is then?

I can relate to shots made up to 3-4- heck, even 500 meters in the right conditions, its not that tricky, you can read the wind etc. etc. - but cold bore first shot at 1500 yards? too much at stake, leave that to people killing people in wars, and don't try to draw a parallel between war and hunting.

I'm not real sure about how intelligent I am but I do have enough sense to know that the plural of "deer" is still "deer" not "deers". Point 2 if you don't like ELR shooting keep your Sweedish ass out of the ELR forum. This guy that made this shot is no doubt very competent and proud of what he did as he should be. Yes the deer could have moved or a number of other things could have happened but the fact is that it didn't. In the end there is no point in hammering a guy because you have a week stomach and inferior skills.

Dustin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dustin Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not real sure about how intelligent I am but I do have enough sense to know that the plural of "deer" is still "deer" not "deers". Point 2 if you don't like ELR shooting keep your Sweedish ass out of the ELR forum. This guy that made this shot is no doubt very competent and proud of what he did as he should be. Yes the deer could have moved or a number of other things could have happened but the fact is that it didn't. In the end there is no point in hammering a guy because you have a week stomach and inferior skills.

Dustin </div></div>

Marking words is generally an idiots game, so I guess we sorted that part out.

I like extreme long range shooting, but I'm talking about hunting here. I am certain it was a competent shot, but that doesn't make it right, I mean - people like you might try to imitate?

Regardless what, I call for bragging rights for closest kill for upcoming season, happy hunting and keep your distance ethic!

Deer or Deers...I think everyone understands what he means.

I dont think he would complain if someone didnt post the plural of hjort right.

Haters always gunna hate. That's some good shooting. Hell I get shit for shooting deer @ 400 with my 243ai from "hunters" that tell me I'm unethical.

I think it's impressive as hell and as it's been said on here before, he is probably more capable of this shot than some people are at 100 yards. I have no problem admitting that there is no way in hell I would attempt that shot but it's due to the fact I have no experience at that range.

Wadcutter, great shot. Don't listen to the idiot's. Nice rifle.

Mick

Jesus. I'm confused why people are making the comments they are. You dropped the deer.... and most people don't take long shots because they can't make them. And the 338 comment... it's a damn 500 pound deer... a 338 is a good choice of caliber. Great shooting Wadcutter! very impressive.

Dustin [/quote]

I know I'm competent enough to hit a 20x20" steel at 1000 meters with my .308, its not even hard. But that doesn't mean I think its appropriate to even try at deers on 500 meters just because "I can". Deers can make a sudden move, meaning I'm ending up in the rumen instead of the chest, or even worse low in the legs.

If I make a bad call on the steel or paper target = no problem, but if I make a bad call on a living animal, I end up in a moral and unethical situation, since hunting barely can be seen as a survival thing these days (Custom built .338 Edge + Nightforce scope will buy you lots of meat).

I think this is related to each person's capacity for empathy, which is probably related to one's intelligence. Me human, and perhaps you caveman it is then?

I can relate to shots made up to 3-4- heck, even 500 meters in the right conditions, its not that tricky, you can read the wind etc. etc. - but cold bore first shot at 1500 yards? too much at stake, leave that to people killing people in wars, and don't try to draw a parallel between war and hunting. [/quote]

<span style="color: #000099">Wow you must have been a California Senator or Congressman in Previous years with that mentality! </span>

Hell of a lot more wounded game is lost to idiots in tree stands with bows than people taking 1000+ yard shots...And they are "close"!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical Support</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="color: #000099">Wow you must have been a California Senator or Congressman in Previous years with that mentality! </span> </div></div>

Or just a guy who thinks there are limits to what you can call hunting, unless you're a tribes people struggling to survive with your spear and bow.

Its very simple, I'm not advocating bad shots in any discipline, and keep your distances reasonable regardless if you're hunting with .338 Edge, shotgun etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell of a lot more wounded game is lost to idiots in tree stands with bows than people taking 1000+ yard shots...And they are "close"! </div></div>

We have shot deer during gun season with arrow wounds, one even had a broken arrow in its front shoulder.

Nice shot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: harry989</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell of a lot more wounded game is lost to idiots in tree stands with bows than people taking 1000+ yard shots...And they are "close"! </div></div>

We have shot deer during gun season with arrow wounds, one even had a broken arrow in its front shoulder.

Nice shot! </div></div>

Call me a bitch, and pretty off-topic - but I don't like bowhunting either
wink.gif