• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

142gr SMK or 140gr Berger Hybrid...as alternative to 140gr ELDM 6.5cm

Senor_Barney

Play stupid games, Win stupid prizes
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 25, 2020
    Northern California
    Since Hornady bullets are practically non-existent in our galaxy...What are some considerations you all would call out between the 142gr SMK and 140gr Hybrids.

I can go and buy either of these two tomorrow, but only in 500s. I am open just buying both and test loads for each, but would still like to get some first/second-hand feedback. Specifically, any wonkiness I need to consider in my AI/AT regarding Ogive/seating depth/OAL/jump, magazine fit...etc..

6.5cm
    Hornady 1x brass
    CCI 200
    H4350

I will continue searching the forums for baseline loads that others have concocted, just looking for feedback positive/negative/neutral on those two alternatives.

You should have been shooting 140 Berger Hybrids all along. There is no equal. Buy enough to burn out your barrel and don't look back.

Or 144 Berger LRHTs. Your choice.
    For me bergers are hardest of all the bullets to find. Specifically in the 30 cal. But that's probably for a reason.

Reactions: Senor_Barney
    Yeah, it’s hard to find them but you said you were looking for 6.5 mm and you could go buy 500 tomorrow…so, I’m saying Bergers over SMK every day. They are super jump tolerant ( more is often better) and they are the most consistent factory (non custom-boutique) bullet you can buy.

Yeah, it’s hard to find them but you said you were looking for 6.5 mm and you could go buy 500 tomorrow…so, I’m saying Bergers over SMK every day. They are super jump tolerant ( more is often better) and they are the most consistent factory (non custom-boutique) bullet you can buy.
    I apologize I wasn't OP. I was just throwing in my .02.

Buy what you can find. Load them up and shoot.

Unless you’re Shooting benchrest the difference between the two won’t be major.

Reactions: LR1845
    Since Hornady bullets are practically non-existent in our galaxy...What are some considerations you all would call out between the 142gr SMK and 140gr Hybrids.

I can go and buy either of these two tomorrow, but only in 500s. I am open just buying both and test loads for each, but would still like to get some first/second-hand feedback. Specifically, any wonkiness I need to consider in my AI/AT regarding Ogive/seating depth/OAL/jump, magazine fit...etc..

6.5cm
    Hornady 1x brass
    CCI 200
    H4350

I will continue searching the forums for baseline loads that others have concocted, just looking for feedback positive/negative/neutral on those two alternatives.
    And you think you can get Berger 140 Hybrids since you can't get ELD-Ms?

Wow, the Berger bullets and ammo seem the most scarce things of all....maybe even worse that primers.

Go with the 140hybrid if you can get your hands on them.
    They so far have been the most laid back easy to tune bullets i have tried in the 6.5CM and dont seem to care what the load or velocity is when i jump tjem .070".
    In the 6.5x47 i use 130hybrids and 6.5CM i run 140hybrid exclusively now.
    The only exception is i use 123CC for first firing on new brass.

And you think you can get Berger 140 Hybrids since you can't get ELD-Ms?

Wow, the Berger bullets and ammo seem the most scarce things of all....maybe even worse that primers.
    I cannot get from a retailer...also non-existent.

A local range dude here is sympathetic to my plight and is letting me take (buy) his stock before listing it online. I guess with back and shoulder surgery lined up hes going to be down for a while.

A local range dude here is sympathetic to my plight and is letting me take (buy) his stock before listing it online. I guess with back and shoulder surgery lined up hes going to be down for a while.
    Havent looked again but Applied Ballistics had 500 count boxes of 140hybrid in stock last week.

My gun loves those Bergers....I'm sure you will be happy with them.

The conventional wisdom is that they are rather tolerant of jump distance so easy to tune up.

Good luck.

Reactions: RldrNewby
    Berger over anything else

I realize results may vary in different platforms, and everyone has different reloading practices, but sometimes a pic is worth a thousand words 😆.

1624289173043.jpeg

My gun is capable of 1/4” groups when the stars & moon align at the reloading bench, and I’m on my A-game behind the rifle, but normally on a good day, I can reasonably expect to see 1/2 to 3/4” groups at 100yds with a dialed in load; however, the Berger 135g Classic Hunters shot in the above OCW pic pretty much did that across 1.2 grains variation in Charge Weight! Needless to say, the Berger’s impressed the heck out of me.

While these may’ve been the first Berger’s I ever tried, I can definitely say, they won’t be my last!

only 2 bullets I run in 6.5cm are the 142 SMK or the 144 LRHT. I prefer the 144s, but keep a few boxes 142s as back up. Both good bullets.

Just scored unobtainium......500 each Berger .264 140 gr Hybrids for $56/100 at Vizards Guns and Ammo.

They had 8 boxes when I ordered my 5 a few minutes ago.

If looking....take a gander at Vizards.

Reactions: DubfromGA
    Score!!! 4 fewer...after my order!
    Wow, they said that they had 8 in stock....I got five...and you got four? Well, good on you, my friend. I thought of you when I saw them. Glad you got in.

P.S. Well, still saying two in the warehouse???

Wow, they said that they had 8 in stock....I got five...and you got four? Well, good on you, my friend. I thought of you when I saw them. Glad you got in.

P.S. Well, still saying two in the warehouse???
    When I ordered 4 there were still 7ish available. Just wanted to take what needed and share the wealth. I'm fingers crossed the inventory is up to date, but If i get an email tomorrow that the count was wrong and i get backordered...ill be ok.

I would go with Bergers. I've used Hornady 140 ELDms for several years shooting out to 1350 with no problem. Shot out to a mile a couple of weeks ago and the Hornadys sucked. They shot very inconsistent and by that I mean 1-1.5 mil right and then left, high, low they were all over the place and was not due to wind. The range owner said he has seen this before with Hornady bullets. Like I said I really didn't have a problem until I really stretched them out. I think the tips of the Hornadys may be melting or deforming at distance. I've switched to Bergers and won't look back. Just FYI.. Bruno's have some 140's in stock as of 15 mins ago.

When I ordered 4 there were still 7ish available. Just wanted to take what needed and share the wealth. I'm fingers crossed the inventory is up to date, but If i get an email tomorrow that the count was wrong and i get backordered...ill be ok.
    Who knows what they are doing....now says still says "8" under availability.

Dunno...I'm happy with the 500 I ordered and agree....take what you need and leave the rest for others. I'm pretty well stocked on these bullets now.

I would go with Bergers. I've used Hornady 140 ELDms for several years shooting out to 1350 with no problem. Shot out to a mile a couple of weeks ago and the Hornadys sucked. They shot very inconsistent and by that I mean 1-1.5 mil right and then left, high, low they were all over the place and was not due to wind. The range owner said he has seen this before with Hornady bullets. Like I said I really didn't have a problem until I really stretched them out. I think the tips of the Hornadys may be melting or deforming at distance. I've switched to Bergers and won't look back. Just FYI.. Bruno's have some 140's in stock as of 15 mins ago.
    At what MV? You can't possibly be staying supersonic at a mile with 6.5 CM, right??? Hitting transonic region...would that not account for this level of variability? And have you found that the Bergers go a mile?

Who knows what they are doing....now says still says "8" under availability.

Dunno...I'm happy with the 500 I ordered and agree....take what you need and leave the rest for others. I'm pretty well stocked on these bullets now.

At what MV? You can't possibly be staying supersonic at a mile with 6.5 CM, right??? Hitting transonic region...would that not account for this level of variability? And have you found that the Bergers go a mile?
    MV is 2740, they are transonic but the Bergers are more consistent vertical or horizontal, they are not left then right or up or down or wherever. I had another guy who is a great shot shoot my rifle as I started to think it was me and he had the same problem. The Bergers were consistent and you could adjust and walk the shots in where the Hornadys you couldn't come close to even walking them in. Just my results and opinion. I have several hundred Hornadys that I'll continue to shoot since bullets are hard to come by, but for ELR I'll use Bergers.

Reactions: Baron23
    MV is 2740, they are transonic but the Bergers are more consistent vertical or horizontal, they are not left then right or up or down or wherever. I had another guy who is a great shot shoot my rifle as I started to think it was me and he had the same problem. The Bergers were consistent and you could adjust and walk the shots in where the Hornadys you couldn't come close to even walking them in. Just my results and opinion. I have several hundred Hornadys that I'll continue to shoot since bullets are hard to come by, but for ELR I'll use Bergers.
    Interesting post. We tend to get wrapped up into measuring everything under the sun in this sport, and we try our best to justify, discount, or prove everything in reloading by scientific data, but sometimes the simplest of things of contention in this sport don’t have to backed up by science. Seeing is believing, and that’s all that’s required to formulate a preference or opinion. Good stuff.