• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

147 / 4451 / CCI450 / Lapua

Ejcb

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2013
Hi guys,

Managed to test a 4451 / CCI450 / 147 ELDM / Lapua 6.5CM SRP brass combo at bisley.

I used a magnetospeed v3 on my 24" Tikka Tac A1 using an MK Machining mount, so the chrono wasn't attached to my barrel.

The wind 10 to 20 MPH from all angles, air and ammo temp was 21C, measured with a kestrel and laser thermometer respectively.

All loads grouped well despite the wind, so I focused on SD/ED and will shoot for groups another day in more favourable conditions.

The below 40.6 grain load had excellent figures, but is quite slow - however Tikka barrels can be known to be slow, however given the relatively warm ammo temperature of 21C, on a more common, cooler day I may see a lower MV, although the IMR Enduron range are meant to be relatively temperature insensitive.

FD14123B-E142-46CE-A88F-502A363CB03C.jpeg

Unfortunately the other shots of the below series were not recorded, however they grouped very nicely at 600 and seem to have good SD/ES.

CDA194CB-4E54-4A31-A184-7897A380C780.jpeg

I did however notice some marks on the Lapua brass after their first firing, I am unsure whether this is brass wipe or smear from the virgin brass on the bolt face during fireforming, from bolt unlock and cartridge extraction, or from excessive pressure.

In the picture below the 41.2 load cartridges have been arranged to place the ejector marks at the 6 o'clock position.

9E6BEB3F-0D99-4BFE-8CB2-0B073D634441.jpeg

What are your thoughts?

brass.jpeg
Quote Edit
Reply to this topic...

While reading primers is a bit of voodoo yours look really pristine but you are running tough 450’s.

Mark could be a sharp edge on ejector hole.

Speeds are about right.

I found 4451 to be pretty easy to deal with.

My thoughts are... I was around 43.5 before I saw pressure problems with that combo in a Stiller action with an 8 twist Bartlein 24" barrel - running somewhere in the 2750 neighborhood (would have to double check my notes to be sure...)

Thanks guys, I don’t think I’m pushing it as primers seem ok and the same marks on the brass occurred earlier in lighter loads.

I don’t need to push the 147 fast - I’m happy to get 2650 - 2750, I hope the 4451 can do it, if not will play with RL16 and RL26.