• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

147 eld match hornady

sifer0425

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2021
canada
well that was interesting!!! loaded some eld match 147 gr hornady rounds to do a load test on my 6.5 creedmoor rifle. 20 thou off the lands. this is what i came up with. loaded 2 loads after that to try out. first 38.4 the second one 39.8 went shooting today with a friend at the 400 yard range shooting clay pigeons on strings with them. mind you i'am using a ibi 26inch barrel too. the 38.4 i was 6.5 moa up at 400yrds, the second set 39.8 load i was 5.75 to 6 moa up. interesting difference!! because my calculator says i should be 7.25moa up!!! would the difference be from the longer barrel or not, and should i go a little farther on the load test to see where there is pressure signs and if there is a flat spot? or should i stick with the 39.8grains and use that??? pict w is the shots at target top circle was at 6.5 moa up the circle closer to the bull was 5.75moa up. any ideas about why this is??? thanks guys

Attachments

• 20211120_171906.jpg
    20211120_171906.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 64
  • pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 62
OCW stands for optimal charge weight. It's a method used by many to determine more less what load they want to go with. There's many other methods that people go with. You have to do some research and see which one better suits you. Some will claim method A sucks and others will say it doesn't, etc. Anyhow, just giving you my take on it.

As far as your 400 yard drop goes, I think it's somewhere in the ballpark. My 140 ELDM load puts me at 6.6 MOA out of my rifle.

I think you might be able to come close to 2800 FPS or just under it. What powder are you using?

Get a magneto speed chrono graph and stop the guess work. I reload for 3 years with out it playing guessing games on my velocity. But now that I have it I can't live with out it and it makes putting data into your solver much more efficient. Magneto speed is the best chrono graph in that price point group in my opinion

have a magnetospeed hence the chart that is posted.

Attachments

• 20211120_171906.jpg
    20211120_171906.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 38
have a magnetospeed hence the chart that is posted.
Sorry never looked at the picture, but your post sounded like you didn't know your velocity. Keep going up untill you reach your max pressure, velocity and find low ES SD numbers

Reactions: sifer0425
40.3 it says in the book as max charge
Those books are wrote by lawyers. If your nervous go up in .2 tenth increments and keep your eye out for flattened primers and case swipe, hard bolt lift.

I personally wouldn't run it that slow. You should be able to go up a good bit, but of course, always go up slowly and then when you see pressure back off from that, especially if it's cold and you will be shooting the same load when it warms up , even with h4350.

I am trying some tomorrow with 2 different primers to try to get the barns 145 MB to group better. I'd really like to use that bullet if I can..

Anyway, good luck with your endeavors,

Attachments

• 212963604_10165514250125357_5791494232352101207_n.jpg
    212963604_10165514250125357_5791494232352101207_n.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 34
I personally wouldn't run it that slow. You should be able to go up a good bit, but of course, always go up slowly and then when you see pressure back off from that, especially if it's cold and you will be shooting the same load when it warms up , even with h4350.

I am trying some tomorrow with 2 different primers to try to get the barns 145 MB to group better. I'd really like to use that bullet if I can..

Anyway, good luck with your endeavors,
yea it was minus 3 toady at the range, with some wind.

long range and it is a 26inch IBI barrel precision rifle shooting
I believe you should be able to get them up to or past 2700 safely. Start looking for nodes around the 2700 mark and once you find a wide one fine tune it and run it. On my last barrel I was shooting 140 hybrids at 2740. It was plenty for PRS out to 1200 yards. If your laying prone and high recoil doesn't matter, and you can push it safely then do it. For reference, on my 30 inch tube I was pushing 140 hybrids at 2950 without flattening primers, case swipe or hard bolt lift

Well... You can actually add powder and get the same speed, but if it's ACTUALLY repeatably happening then you're probably using the wrong powder for the given cartridge/bullet.

But I agree, generally the "stairs" people see in charge vs. velocity graphs are encompassed by the [real world] ES of the load, and if you were to chrono 30 shots of each you'd see that ES/SD don't really meaningfully change with charge weight if all else is kept the same, and velocity over the typical spreads people "test" will rise pretty linearly with charge weight unless you get towards the top end or especially over book data.