• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 147gr South African mil surplus

adam1122

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2010
Tx
Does anyone have full complete ballistic info on this ammo? I shoot it all the time and it is great target ammo....need all the info I can get so I can provide to a scope manufacturer and have BDC turrets made correctly.

Re: 147gr South African mil surplus

eek.gif

I happen to have close to 2000 round left. I used it for a while, and it never performed all that well for me in a gun where FGMM shoots 0.4" 5-shot groups and my reloads shoot 0.35" 5-shot groups, it tends to shoot 1.1" 5-shotters.

I would not call it "all that good".

But, hey, if it shoots in your gun.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But, hey, if it shoots in your gun..... </div></div>How well does it shoot at 800?

My m1a shoots SA ammo the best of any surplus ammo I have tried.

I haven't shot the south african past 300yds, but here's what I've got in moa from 100yd zero:

100 0
200 3
300 6

Out of curiosity what type of rifle do you use this ammo with and at what ranges are you shooting? The reason I ask is because this ammo is standard battle rifle fodder based on the NATO M80 round. It is typically not considered accurate. As far as I know the NATO equivalent is used for machineguns where volume of fire is more important than accuracy. As far as getting the info you need try looking into the M80. There are several companies that produce an M80 equivalent like Winchester and Magtech. I believe I even bought a box of Winchester .308 once with the NATO headstamp. When it comes to accuracy the membership of this forum holds very high standards. They typically only use match ammo like Federal Gold Medal Match or load their own. Military surplus ammo typically (read 99.999999999% of the time) is not very accurate. But who knows? Maybe your rig is an exception. I hope this helps. Keep us posted.

BC is about 0.41 - 0.42

v0 will need to be figured out with a chrono, but I'm guessing about 820ms.