• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

15-45 vs 20-60 Spotting Scope

DSPrecision

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2021
Denver
I’m looking for a new sporting scope and can’t decide between a 15-45 or 20-60. Mainly shooting steel between 500-1500 yards. The extra zoom of the 20-60 sounds nice in theory, but is the extra weight and bulk worth it? Thoughts or recommendations?

I've used the Mk4 12-40x and Hendsholt Spotter 45 pretty exclusively over the past 15 years and never really needed more. I tend to work between 18x and 30x mostly. At Ko2M I used the Hendsholt Spotter 45 and a Kowa 32x82mm bino.

I'm also very weight conscious and love the Leupold for paving a lot into a light scope. I recently picked up a Vortex Razor HD 22-48x that I haven't even opened because I'm not sure I'll keep it based on weight. I'm certain the Vortex glass is better than my old Leupold but it weighs 53% more. For a range optic it would be great but when I'm packing it, I'm not sure it's worth it. I ought to pull it out and compare but I really just don't have an issue with the Leupold and I like having a reticle.

Either will be fine. Don’t loose sleep over it. As stated above, you will seldom if ever find yourself operating near either extreme. 👍

I rather like the 15X low end especially for quickly finding a target.
45x has been plenty for spotting well beyond 1500 yards

Reactions: b6graham
I’m looking for a new sporting scope and can’t decide between a 15-45 or 20-60. Mainly shooting steel between 500-1500 yards. The extra zoom of the 20-60 sounds nice in theory, but is the extra weight and bulk worth it? Thoughts or recommendations?
Weight and bulk normally comes more into play when packing during a hunt. If this is strictly for range use then it shouldn't really matter.
In general variable power optics perform at optimum up to about 85% of their top end so a 45x is best to about 38x and a 60x is best to about 51x. This isn't to say that after these powers they turn to useless. It is to say that optimum optical performance starts to fall off.
For range use, again since you're not packing in miles, the bigger, bulkier yet more powerful spotter may be a better choice.
A sturdy quality tripod is just as, if not more, important as the optic. If the spotter isn't rock solid while you're looking through it then it's not helping.
Our pleasure to discuss options with you if you'd like to give a call, 516-217-1000
I hope this helps.