• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns $150+ folding knife...

awz1287

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2011
North Carolina
hey guys. I was just wondering what all the expensive knives have that the cheaper knives don't? I'm not talking cheap like $10 wally world knife, I mean like $50-70 knives, like sog, crkt, some spyderco, and cold steel knives. I do own some expensive knives, but they are mostly fixed blade not EDC folder knives. I know blade material and quality have a lot to do with it. but for a EDC knife what would be the reasons for buying an $200 knife? I got upset when I lost my sog flash which was $50, not near $200. my current EDC is either a sog flash II or a cold steel Ti-Lite. which I know I can easily replace if anything happens to them. does any one carry a high end folder everyday?

Re: $150+ folding knife...

Although I have some higher grade (price) knives, I never wanted to use one as an EDC. I'm too rough on them, and like you, would not want to lose it. I like the mid-range stuff for daily use - pretty much $100 or less, and have always been a fan of CRKT stuff. The quality is generally pretty good and although I would be upset if it got lost, another decent production knife in that range would be easy enough to get.

George P.

I have EDC emerson knives for years. Not top end but over your $150 mark new. I am fairly rough on them. The difference is all of mine are still working as opposed to the cheaper knives I use to carry. You can also find used ones at a significant discount if you want a beater.

My work knife is a MOD Mark I. It was expensive but I need it to not fail when I need it and I expect it to last my 30 year career. That being said, I don't cut wire, open watch casings, etc with it. My EDC knife is a $40 Kershaw Blur second. It works great, and I abuse it to death using it for whatever comes up. If and when it is done, I will buy another. I agree no need for a really expensive every day knife.

For me I've carried an Emerson for the last decade and only recently retired it for a new Benchmade with the M390 steel. My Emerson has seen a ton of use over the years, has been opened countless times, and is still tight. I use the knife for cutting chores and the Leatherman for everything else.

Mostly the difference is in the steel, liner/handle material and locking capability used. I can tell the difference in how tight the higher grade knives lock up, the designs fit my hand better, and the edge quality capability is much higher.

I don't use throwaway knives for EDC. I prefer to have them sitting in my drawer long after I'm gone for my grand-kids to inherit, the same way I got my Grandfather's old knife for my first blade. Yes, I have a Kershaw here and a Cold Steel there as backups, but never for daily use and carry, just for "Oh shit" moments.

I relate a man's knives to watches. A Timex Ironman, Citizen Eco-Drive and a Rolex all tell you the time, but there's a difference. How significant that difference is can only be decided by the end user.

All kinds of factors come into knives just like guns or cars or anything else. Obviously higher cost come from upper grade materials, craftsmanship (person over machine) and exclusivity. A $300 won't cut any better than a quality $100 knife of same blade material, or hold edge longer or carry better. One may have a lifetime warrenty where one may have 1 yr. The more expensive would probably have a higher grade of detail paid to the overall finish result, but that isn't always true. I don't pry anything with folders, so I don't need a 1/4" blade on mine or a super beefy frame lock.. but some like those features. Some things are just cool to have for whatever reason, and there are a few custom knives I wouldn't mind owning.. but it's hard to toss down money on a knife that I could buy 5,000 bullets with instead.

I have been using a MOD Mark I, EDC for about 5 years now. Used and abused and the finish on handle and blade are still excellent. Keeps an edge very well, Tougher than nails and I trust it won't give up the ghost when I need it in a pinch. If I could do so, I would carry a good size fixed blade instead but since a folder is my only option for most days, the Mark I works great.

For me its fit / finish for years my edc was an Emerson .
I like the idea of buying quality over quanity instead of buying 6 knives at 40 a piece Ill buy one for $200 and be done.

It just depends on what you value. I've daily carried Benchmades for years. Lately it's been my 710 with a D2 blade. I have daily carried the Spyderco Tenacious as well. It's a good budget oriented knife that is made very well. The difference is, it's China made and has stainless steel liners instead of titanium. There's a small but noticeable weight difference. Many might be turned off by the fact it's made in China, but, having lost a couple Benchmades over the years, it doesn't hurt so bad if you lose one.

If you're not so concerned about materials, fit, or finish, then the lower dollar ones are probably fine. It's a little like the difference between a Glock and a handfit 1911.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you're not so concerned about materials, fit, or finish, then the lower dollar ones are probably fine. It's a little like the difference between a Glock and a handfit 1911. </div></div>

I was with you right up until that quote.

Lets not muddy the waters with this comparison of Glocks vs 1911's. Many people would take a Glock over a 1911 because of different feature sets (myself included) for real world use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you're not so concerned about materials, fit, or finish, then the lower dollar ones are probably fine. It's a little like the difference between a Glock and a handfit 1911. </div></div>

Lets not muddy the waters with this comparison of Glocks vs 1911's. Many people would take a Glock over a 1911 because of different feature sets (myself included) for real world use. </div></div>

You confirmed what I said exactly. Lets face it, it's just not as heart breaking to kick a Glock across a parking lot as it is a nicely blued or hard chromed 1911(assuming the 1911 works).

Those same feature sets you mention can be easily applied to knives. We're on the same page here.

Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Lets not muddy the waters with this comparison of Glocks vs 1911's. Many people would take a Glock over a 1911 because of different feature sets (myself included) for real world use. </div></div>

You confirmed what I said exactly. Lets face it, it's just not as heart breaking to kick a Glock across a parking lot as it is a nicely blued or hard chromed 1911(assuming the 1911 works).

Those same feature sets you mention can be easily applied to knives. We're on the same page here.

Cheers </div></div>

You missed what I was saying completely. I do not want a 1911 in any way shape or form. I could care less if I kick a 1911 across the floor.

My EDC is a Kershaw, Cheap, keeps a great edge, light weight and I don't care if i break it. I'm very hard on a knife. I Don't Think i will ever buy a expensive knife.

Expensive knives are like expesive cars. If you can afford it great. Both will get you to work and carry you around. If you drive a corvetter, you will most likely very seldom drive it to it full capabilty. If you have a high end knife, the same is likely true.
A friend gave me a Strider. Nice knife, but I doubt I would have bought it for myself. One thing I will say is the titanium pocket clip really keeps the knife secure. That one little item alone could drive up the cost considerably.