• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$1500 to work with what would you choose?

aberbaseball7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2010
Wichita Falls tx
$1500 budget since I am poor,can it be done?

Off the shelf gun, off the shelf ammo, and a scope. Steel targets, coyotes and deer under 500-600 yards after I become proficient enough to know where I'm shooting.

What gun, caliber and scope?
7-08, 300wm, 260, 308?
Rem 700, tikka, savage?
Vortex 4-16, 5-15, 6-24?

Factory ammo will end up being more expensive and not as good as making your own loads, but doing so needs an investment into reloading equipment. Overall if you just get a single stage, it won't be a large investment in the first place.

The biggest issue with the $1500 budget is the scope. I guess you could grab an R700 off of gunbroker for like 500 and look for a used PST here on the hide's classifieds for about 700-800. Another $200-300 for a new stock. Your budget would be used up at that point but you would still need a base and rings for the scope and ammo to shoot. I personally have a Vortex Viper 6-20x50 (not the PST) that I got for very cheap and would be okay with it if I had to get it as a cheap scope, but most here will tell you not to go cheap on a scope, with good reason. The PST wouldn't be considered a cheap scope, but you would really need to extend your budget a little to get that to work.

This would be my opinion. Savage 110 with a bull barrel, upgrade the stock the stock ones are horable, go with the 22-250 caliber reason being it shoots very flat and will easily kill in your range also you can change the barrel at home and shoot anything based off the 308 case like the 7-08 super fun round. Scope is the big one tho I'd say 1st focal plane mil dot reticle and variable power Nikon makes a good one that should be in your price range. I hope that helps you

650 for sps tactical

600 for swfa 3-15 ffp

100 for base/rings

That leaves a couple hundred for ammo.

Wait until this Friday and find a rem 700 varmint in 308 or 243 for 400 ish and buy a b&c stock for it. Have about the same in it.

Built a 700p in a mcmillan a5 with badger base tps rings and ss10x42 for about 1800ish about 7 years ago. It's been an amazing rifle. I paid 800 for my 700p so if you can get a sps that would be your budget. You could get a cheaper stock and use extra saved for a more expensive scope or just get a nice stock and run a ss and upgrade as you go. Really depends on what you want to do.

My .02

Savage Hog Hunter: $425
B&C stock: $230
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 : $230
EGW base and rings: $100

$985 for a total package 308 gun that will certainly shoot well, with a good chance of shooting outstanding.

Spend another $400 on custom barrel to make some heads really turn if needed.

Off the shelf gun, off the shelf ammo, and a scope. Steel targets, coyotes and deer under 500-600 yards after I become proficient enough to know where I'm shooting.

7-08, 300wm, 260, 308?
Rem 700, tikka, savage?
Vortex 4-16, 5-15, 6-24?

Rifle: Remington 700 AAC-SD, 308 caliber
Remington 700 SPS AAC 308 20" - Remington - Rifles - SGCUSA

Scope: SWFA SS 3-15 x 44 FFP
SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope

Harris Bipod: 6-9" notched legs ,model: HBP-SBRM
Triad Tactical, Inc.*::*Bipods etc.*::*Harris Bi-pods with Swivel Base

Base: 080-000-399WB
Steel Scope Base fits Rem 700 SA

PICATINNY SCOPE BASE | Brownells

Rings: 100-011-204WB
E-TAC 30mm 0.86" Low Rings
Mfr Part: GRI3085
ENHANCED TACTICAL SCOPE RINGS | Brownells

Optional Chassis upgrade: McRees precision G5 TMAG Compact fixed
Compact Fixed

5 rnd box magazine need if chassis is bought:
McRees Precision 10 round 308WIN Box Magazine

Retail cost (no tax/S&H)of everything I listed is: $1715.00
Retail cost of everything with the chassis upgrade and box magazine is: $2,395.00

$1500? In hindsight, I would have purchased a used NF scope and put a Remington LTR on layaway till tax time. Then Warne mounts and rings, harris, Jewell, and a bunch of ammo.

I truly appreciate the in depth replies i have received so far. Im going to keep my eye out for some good deals on that ss 3-15 for sure.

Just to add a twist. After researching, the 6.5 creedmoor looks like a great caliber also.

Savage 16 with 22" barrel accustock and dbm for right under $700

Savage 11 LRH 26" barrel for $780

Or save up for the savage lrp at $925

Thoughts on those with the ss 3-15?

Nothing. This is not a poor man's game and that is not enough to get anything unless your concern is to sling lead down range. You can do that with a .22 and save a ton of money and learn fundementals.

If you are "poor", start with changing that. Wasting money on a hobby when your limited resources can be used to invest in your future and future earning would be the path of an idiot.

Then again 95% of the people in this world are idiots, so I expect this to go over most peoples heads.

^ yet again stupidity strikes....

I've shot with great shooters running low end builds that did exceptional regarding their kit (skill is acquired and not bought). I admire the OP for being a responsible American and living within his means.

Any of the said builds will get you out shooting buddy, consider all the aftermarket parts, availability of said parts and what your expectations are. Items with warranties (such as vortex) should be considered as well.

I personally would roll with a sps build.

best of luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Nothing. This is not a poor man's game and that is not enough to get anything unless your concern is to sling lead down range. You can do that with a .22 and save a ton of money and learn fundementals.

If you are "poor", start with changing that. Wasting money on a hobby when your limited resources can be used to invest in your future and future earning would be the path of an idiot.

Then again 95% of the people in this world are idiots, so I expect this to go over most peoples heads.

You are very wrong on so many levels. Calling everybody but yourself an idiot is pretty classy too.

Just like any other sport - this sport is all about skill: marksmanship, reading conditions, understanding limits of your equipment and managing your finances (keyword managing). If you think you can buy any of those skills - you are an idiot.

Cobra i understand your issue with my question. I am not poor but i have no reason to build a full out custom rifle. Why buy a ferrari if you can have as much fun in a GT 5.0. This is a hobby, i have other rifles for hunting and plinking just wanted to stretch it out a bit on a budget. No reason for me to spend $6k plus for something ill use a couple times a month if that.

I do appreciate all the info I have received so far. Thanks

And yet again you miss the whole fucking point.

And how the fuck do you know what his means are? The dude said he is "poor" and poor generaly means shitty living conditions with little to no disposable income (unless your weed, booze and pill habit takes priority).
$1500 would be a nice chunk of change to someone defined as poor.

It has nothing to do with shooting on the cheap. Despite the fact that shooting on the cheap is an oxymoron for anything other than an air rifle or a .22, does the OP sound like a great shooter or someone with all the fundementals? If he did, he wouldnt be asking such a rudementry question on gear, as he would have already figured that out on his own durring his skills development.

This is not a "cheap" mans game, and getting the gear that will last (or can be sold to upgrade down the road) alone is going to be out of his price range. Add in trasportation, ammo, range fees and other expenses and this is not a game for someone self identifed as poor.

As I said, only a short sighted fucking moron would be wasting what little disposable income they have on a hobby or game, when it could be better invested in their future or developing life skills to increase one's possition.

I appologize that you K_4C are part of that 95% and don't "get it". Lucky for you, intellegence is not a requisite for army sniper school.

Cobra i understand your issue with my question. I am not poor but i have no reason to build a full out custom rifle. Why buy a ferrari if you can have as much fun in a GT 5.0. This is a hobby, i have other rifles for hunting and plinking just wanted to stretch it out a bit on a budget. No reason for me to spend $6k plus for something ill use a couple times a month if that.

I do appreciate all the info I have received so far. Thanks

Then what is the deal? You start off this thread by saying you are poor, and now your not....... did you hit the lottery in the last 24 hours? Choose your words and don't contridict yourself and people will take you much more seriosuly and be willing to offer sound advice.

The truth is, you are either going to get into this sport and want better gear or you will decide its not for you/get bored, and sell your gear for the trinket of the month.

Scenario A: You will want to upgrade your gear (and yes SPS and remingtons suck for a multitude of reasons and $$) and you will lose money when it comes time to selling it as low end gear depreciates more/
Scenario B: You wont get much for your gear. Had you bought say a Used FN SPR or AIAE/TRG , you could sell it for what you pad or more depending on how hard you look.

Either way, buying cheap gear is a waste of money and for the most part, an effort in futility.

I am speaking from experince. I have EASILY spent over $50K on guns over the last 15 years, doing the exact same stupid shit, coming to the realiztion that If I did it right the first time, I would have saved alot of money, time, and my skills would have developed faster.

Back to my origional statement, unless everything else in your life is taken care of (bills, retirement, kids education, saftey net fund,ect) then wasting money on a hobby when you have limited income or resources is retarded.

You are very wrong on so many levels. Calling everybody but yourself an idiot is pretty classy too.

Just like any other sport - this sport is all about skill: marksmanship, reading conditions, understanding limits of your equipment and managing your finances (keyword managing). If you think you can buy any of those skills - you are an idiot.

You need to learn to read.......You can't even get a quote or statement correct, much less the point of the whole post............ why would anything else you say have value?

My 5R is a nice gun, but after seeing and hearing about some of the stuff that was allowed to leave Remington's factory I just can't recommend them. I run a Bushnell 3-12x44 with G2DMR reticle. Call Scott at Liberty Optics for a scope. I'm not sure how heavy you're willing to go, but this is what I would recommend for hunting purposes.

$600-Tikka T3 Lite
$120-Seekins rings
$35- EGW 20 MOA Base
$800-Vortex PST 2.5-10x32

I know this is slightly over your budget, but the prices listed are MSRP values. You'd be amazed how much you can save by purchasing from Hide vendors.

OP, you could always buy a used Savage, take it apart, and rebuild in the caliber, and configuration you want a piece at a time, as time, and money permits.

I have EASILY spent over $50K on guns over the last 15 years, doing the exact same stupid shit, coming to the realiztion that If I did it right the first time, I would have saved alot of money, time, and my skills would have developed faster.

You blew fifty grand doing "same stupid sh!t" ... you must be some sort of genius!

So far you sound like disrespectful teenager with a potty mouth. You have ZERO useful input for the thread. I hope your momma checks your internet activity....
bar-of-soap-in-mouth1.jpg

Question was simple - how to wisely spend $1500; your answer was - invest in retirement. Nobody needs to hear your off topic 2 cents.

Statement retracted

Only thing I would say about the 6.5 is it has a really short barrel life. If you only going to shoot a couple times a month it would probably be fine but if your going to shoot allot then plan to save a little extra cash to get a new barrel when time comes.

Last edited:
You blew fifty grand doing "same stupid sh!t" ... you must be some sort of genius!

So far you sound like disrespectful teenager with a potty mouth. You have ZERO useful input for the thread. I hope your momma checks your internet activity....
bar-of-soap-in-mouth1.jpg

Question was simple - how to wisely spend $1500; your answer was - invest in retirement. Nobody needs to hear your off topic 2 cents.

Sorry to rub sand in your vagina. Wear pants instead of a skirt to mitigate that......

Where did I say I wasted $50K? I said I spent that over that time period, including wasting a bunch of money doing stupid shit. It was to reinforce my point that buying cheap shit NEVER pays out.

Everything I said was based of the info the OP gave......... If you are to fucking stupid to see the chronological order of the conversation, I am not sure what to tell you.

Not sure why I am even explaining this to you, as you have reapeatedly proven you cannot read nor comphrehend simple statements.

Jerry Called..... He wants you and the rest of his kids back.

Only thing I would say about the 6.5 is it has a really short barrel life. If you only going to shoot a couple times a month it would probably be fine but if your going to shoot allot then plan to save a little extra cash to get a new barrel when time comes.

Not really. Both .260 and 6.5C has fairly decent barrel life, and that is one of the real benefits of it being so popular compared to the 6MM and similar rounds.

Barrel life is also subjective... shooting F class or are you banging IPSC targets at 600 yards?

Also, in the context of this whole thread......... ~3500 rounds of 6.5CM (avg barrel life for factory and mild loads) x $25 a box is how much in ammo?................Poor guys wants to know........

Sorry to rub sand in your vagina. Wear pants instead of a skirt to mitigate that......

Where did I say I wasted $50K? I said I spent that over that time period, including wasting a bunch of money doing stupid shit. It was to reinforce my point that buying cheap shit NEVER pays out.

Everything I said was based of the info the OP gave......... If you are to fucking stupid to see the chronological order of the conversation, I am not sure what to tell you.

Not sure why I am even explaining this to you, as you have reapeatedly proven you cannot read nor comphrehend simple statements.

Jerry Called..... He wants you and the rest of his kids back.

Watch your mouth son, internet is not as anonymous is you might think.

Last edited:
Contrary to what has been said, a good starter set up is within your price range.

Many good choices have been listed here. Get what fits your budget, hit the range and practice, learn what you do and don't like about the set up, and later on down the road treat yourself to something top shelf if you still enjoy this style of shooting.

Don't get discouraged and enjoy the fun!!

Perusing the black Friday ads, there are quite a few nice deals to be found. Bare bones Remington 700's under $500.00, Tikka's, and more. That leaves you with some money to spend on a solid scope setup and some ammo. Learn as much as you can on it, and when you're ready to move up you have at least have an action to start with that will have amortized over time.

If you are willing to build instead of have something right now a Rem 700 action is a good base to build on. So is Savage and Winchester Mod 70 for a build. Buy what you can for cheap.

Go into a local, or several local pawn shops and ask them if they have any Remington 700's in pretty poor condition they'd let go for cheap. You are only really buying the action anyway. The stock can be split, the barrel can be pitted, get it for cheap. As long as the action has no real defects in material it can be made to shoot. If they say they don't have any tell them you are looking for a cheap 700 in poor condition and ask if you can leave your contact info so if they run across one they can maybe buy for cheaper and still make $25 bucks knowing its guaranteed sell for them.

As far as wanting an out of the box shooter I think Savage will be hard to beat. For an even less expensive gun that gets pretty solid out of the box reviews the Marlin X7 is popular in the (budget bolt gun) realm.

A Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 creedmoor is hard to beat. It comes in a aluminum block bedded HS Precision stock with a DBM (you can change over to AICS mags by dropping in CDI bottom metal), the trigger can be dropped down into the ounces, factory match ammo is readily available and fairly inexpensive, and the external ballistics at 1000 yards rival almost any short action round save for short mags or other wildcats. Barrel life is going to be about 50-75% of a 308, but even if you shot 2 f-class matches a month, you are looking at two years between barrel changes. Also with the savage, you can swap in a pre-fit CBI SS match grade barrel for about $325, so it's not expensive and you don't need a smith to do it.

Scope wise, drop on a fixed power 10x or 16x SWFA Super Sniper scope on it and be done with it. You can always upgrade later and move this one to another rifle, use it as a backup, or sell it.

Ken Farrell makes a REALLY nice all steel 20 moa base for the 12 LRP's. I have two of them and couldn't be happier.

honestly, at this price range, you should be looking in the for sale section here on the hide. buy used gear till you know what you are really going to need. 1. you will end up with a system that has already depreciated most of what it will depreciate, 2. you can still get quality gear, and if you end up wanting to keep it you can, and 3. you will prob end up changing gear in the future anyways, once you get your bearings. no sense in buying new when plenty of quality used gear comes up all the time on classifieds

Well looks like this thread blew up good and bad.

With everything said i think im going to do the savage 6.5 creed and try and find a ss 3-15 and go from there. It will shoot better than my ability as of now and get me in the game. Sorry to create a hostile post but i appreciate all the detailed info with links. Much more help than i expected. Thanks

I would go with a Rem ADL SPS varmint in 243, buy a take off 5R HS stock, install the PTG BDL drop in bottom metal with an AI 5rd mag, then find a used Leupold Mk4, SWFA, or Vortex scope and put it in some TPS rings on a Weaver 1 piece 20moa picatinny rail.

Rifle- $400
Stock- $200-300
PTG w/mag- $175
TPS rings- $60
Weaver base- $30
and you'll have approx $500-600 left for a scope

I suggest putting "CobraFucker" on your ignore list. Never does contribute any useful information to this site anyway.

$1500 is a halfway decent budget but it also puts you right between a mediocre setup and a good one. If you plan on shooting off the shelf ammo I wouldn't choose anything but 223 or 308 and if you plan on shooting much beyond 600 yards then 308 is your best bet. Not saying 223 won't do it but it's next to impossible with factory ammo in factory barrels.

If you have to spend it now and can't wait a little bit I'd go one of two ways:

1. Buy a nice factory rifle like one of the SPR's TACCORD is selling. It won't leave you much for scope and basically nothing for ammo but you can pick up a used SWFA SS for $250 or a brand new one for $300 to get you by and move it to another rifle later or sell it for little to no loss. This will extend your budget a little but is probably your best option to get your foot in the door. Many people will tell you to spend more on glass but think about this, what is easier to replace, a scope that you twist a few screws and its done, or a rifle you have to transfer through an FFL and that you have data and dope on? It's the scope. I'm not saying buy a piece of junk but there is nothing wrong with a $300 SWFA to get you by.

2. If you have to keep it in budget and want it all now you are still stretching it but it can be done. You can pick up a R700 ADL Varmint in 308 from dicks on black friday. After rebates and selling the crappy scope you'll have no more than $350 in the barreled action. $200 will get you a used take off HS Precision shipped to your door and another $75 will get you a used BDL bottom metal assembly. You'll have about $625 in the base rifle. Another $150 gets you a nice Weaver Tactical base with built in recoil lug and a set of used badger, nightforce, whatever rings (or new seekins or MK4). Then you $725 left for optics, bipod, sling, ammo, and other gear.

If you increased your budget by $500 or would be willing to dump most of it on option #1 and hold out for optics you would get another class of rifle over a remington or savage.

I appologize that you K_4C are part of that 95% and don't "get it". Lucky for you, intellegence is not a requisite for army sniper school.

I'll gladly stand with the other 95% based solely on how you carried yourself here.... Keep protecting those convoys brother and thanks for your service:)

honestly, at this price range, you should be looking in the for sale section here on the hide. buy used gear till you know what you are really going to need. 1. you will end up with a system that has already depreciated most of what it will depreciate, 2. you can still get quality gear, and if you end up wanting to keep it you can, and 3. you will prob end up changing gear in the future anyways, once you get your bearings. no sense in buying new when plenty of quality used gear comes up all the time on classifieds

+1 on what he says.
Been there, done that, and know this for good advice.

I'll gladly stand with the other 95% based solely on how you carried yourself here.... Keep protecting those convoys brother and thanks for your service:)

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET, I'm a dirty civy now. The only thing I get to guard is a good scotch and cigar collection.

If you are willing to build instead of have something right now a Rem 700 action is a good base to build on. So is Savage and Winchester Mod 70 for a build. Buy what you can for cheap.

Go into a local, or several local pawn shops and ask them if they have any Remington 700's in pretty poor condition they'd let go for cheap. You are only really buying the action anyway. The stock can be split, the barrel can be pitted, get it for cheap. As long as the action has no real defects in material it can be made to shoot. If they say they don't have any tell them you are looking for a cheap 700 in poor condition and ask if you can leave your contact info so if they run across one they can maybe buy for cheaper and still make $25 bucks knowing its guaranteed sell for them.

As far as wanting an out of the box shooter I think Savage will be hard to beat. For an even less expensive gun that gets pretty solid out of the box reviews the Marlin X7 is popular in the (budget bolt gun) realm.

Horrrible advice newbie.

700 is the last gun you should be advising. In stock form they are bottom of the barrel, and to get them correct, you will spend twice his budget on just the rifle.

After he gets his donor action.... what should he do? send it out for truing and cutting? How much will that cost? Now he needs to put a decent barrel on there, beacuse whats the point of 'printing without the propper foundation of a good barrel/stock/bottom metal. So how much is that Barrel going to cost along with how much is costs to chamber? So now he needs a stock and even if he cheaps out with a B&C or similar , along with bottom metal what are we up to now? Throw a Base on there and get it recoated................. Now your looking at $400+$250+$350+$300+$250+$200+$80+$150 for a trued 700 with a good barrel and B&C stock/bottom metal with a rail and 1 color coating. Thats almost $2K not including FFL or shipping fees, and who knows how long of a wait for parts and/or build.

Now the guy decides he wants something different and when he goes to sell, doesnt get near what he has into it beacuse it may not have desirable features for the kool-aide match shooters.

I said it before and I'll say it again...........700 is one of the worst choices as either a budget build or a full blown custom. A $500 tikka will shoot circles around it with its stock barrel and tupperware stock. If your going to spend the ~$3 or so to do a full custom, why would you start with a flawed 700 instead of a custom action? Why would I want a 700 custom when I can get a factory TRG or AE for the same or less money? Makes zero sense.

I swear this community has some of the most backwards thinking logic I have ever seen.

EDIT: Listen to redneck. The SPR is a fantastic deal and will hold its value. Its one of the best deals in LR rifles out there right now. If you want 6.5CM you are stuck with shitty cheap factory rifles like the savage or a full custom. If you can live with .260, find a tikka sporter, and shoot it as is, or sell the Stock and buy a Chassis and for around $2K, you will have a rifle that will hang will full blown customs and rifles Twice the cost. I did the exact same thing after selling my SPR and my only regret is not doing it sooner. The tikka T3 tac is also a good mid range rifle in the $1400 realm. Anything cheaper than the T3 Sporter/tac or a SPR is not worth it in the long run.

Last edited:
SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET, I'm a dirty civy now. The only thing I get to guard is a good scotch and cigar collection.

Yeah, personally I'd be pissed if someone told me all I did was protect convoys (unless I was a contractor).... Guess us Army sniper school candidates/graduates couldn't complete that task. Carry on high speed. I bet your apartment reeks of leather bound books and rich mahogany..... and you call it the skankserwary aka where you bring back all those fine ass ladies.

Last edited:
$1500 is a halfway decent budget but it also puts you right between a mediocre setup and a good one. If you plan on shooting off the shelf ammo I wouldn't choose anything but 223 or 308 and if you plan on shooting much beyond 600 yards then 308 is your best bet. Not saying 223 won't do it but it's next to impossible with factory ammo in factory barrels.

If you have to spend it now and can't wait a little bit I'd go one of two ways:

1. Buy a nice factory rifle like one of the SPR's TACCORD is selling. It won't leave you much for scope and basically nothing for ammo but you can pick up a used SWFA SS for $250 or a brand new one for $300 to get you by and move it to another rifle later or sell it for little to no loss. This will extend your budget a little but is probably your best option to get your foot in the door. Many people will tell you to spend more on glass but think about this, what is easier to replace, a scope that you twist a few screws and its done, or a rifle you have to transfer through an FFL and that you have data and dope on? It's the scope. I'm not saying buy a piece of junk but there is nothing wrong with a $300 SWFA to get you by.

2. If you have to keep it in budget and want it all now you are still stretching it but it can be done. You can pick up a R700 ADL Varmint in 308 from dicks on black friday. After rebates and selling the crappy scope you'll have no more than $350 in the barreled action. $200 will get you a used take off HS Precision shipped to your door and another $75 will get you a used BDL bottom metal assembly. You'll have about $625 in the base rifle. Another $150 gets you a nice Weaver Tactical base with built in recoil lug and a set of used badger, nightforce, whatever rings (or new seekins or MK4). Then you $725 left for optics, bipod, sling, ammo, and other gear.

If you increased your budget by $500 or would be willing to dump most of it on option #1 and hold out for optics you would get another class of rifle over a remington or savage.

+1 on this.

I'll also put another +1 for picking up a Savage. I've had a ton of great experience with mine and you won't be disappointed either way. My Model 10 with a stock .308 barrel is far more accurate than I am. I love my Vortex Viper PST, but consider picking up a $300 SWFA SS...a buddy of mine has one and they will get the job done.

I would go with a Rem ADL SPS varmint in 243, buy a take off 5R HS stock, install the PTG BDL drop in bottom metal with an AI 5rd mag, then find a used Leupold Mk4, SWFA, or Vortex scope and put it in some TPS rings on a Weaver 1 piece 20moa picatinny rail.

Rifle- $400
Stock- $200-300
PTG w/mag- $175
TPS rings- $60
Weaver base- $30
and you'll have approx $500-600 left for a scope

I suggest putting "CobraFucker" on your ignore list. Never does contribute any useful information to this site anyway.

I bought the PTG BDL drop in and it wasn't exactly "drop-in" and it also wasn't $175 including the 5 round mag. Mine was $209.86 and I had to do a bunch of fitting with a dremmel to get it to fit in there in the action screw housing areas.

On that budget I would pick up a Savage in .308, a Vortex PST 6-24 sfp scope, a decent base and rings. If anything is left spend it on ammo from Copper Creek and enjoy!

7-08, 300wm, 260, 308?
Rem 700, tikka, savage?
Vortex 4-16, 5-15, 6-24?

I'm 55 now...I grew up poor, dad was .mil in the 50-70's when they didn't get paid shit...but we had meat at least 3-4 days a week...we always had a garden and I didn't have more than 2 pair of shoes until I joined the Marines...then a family, mortgage, dog food, groceries, truck payments, braces, 3 weddings and a honeymoon got in the way...now I can afford almost anything I want...yet I still shoot Savages...son I've been there and done that...

If your serious about shooting and want to break in here is my 2 cents on your $1500 spend...

Search around and buy a used Savage 10FP or 110FP...be patient...get one in 308 if you can...yes 6.5 is sexier and a 6.5 rifle is going to cost more and be harder to find...Lots of very gently used and loved Savages out there...BE PATIENT...you should be able to get one in the $375 (older 110FP) to $450 for a 10FP maybe even an Accu-Trigger one...if you score an older flat rear round front 110FP with a 3 screw trigger great a short action 10FP with an Accu-Trigger even better...

Glass...I'd advise several options,,,

1. Buy a used SWFA 12X-16X Fixed power scope for $250-$275...EXCELLENT SCOPE FOR THE $$$$, new is only $299

2. Buy a used Leupold Mk IV for $700+

3. Buy a Weaver Tactical Grand Slam 3x10 Variable Mil/Mil from Midway for $299 on sale (normally $399) you dont see many of these for sale on the used market...people don't part with them they are that good...

Mount and Rings...EGW 20MOA and a set of Burris X-Treme Rings $100 for the set...

Bipod...used Harris 6x9 for $50-$75

So lets see there...if you score the 10FP Short Action for $450, and a scope, mount and rings for $400 and a bipod for $50 you've now spent $900 of your budget...

Assuming the S/A Savage, can the factory stock...buy a new or used B&C Tactical Medalist or a Choate Tactical for $225 either one...your now have in your grubby little hands a DAMN NICE, EXTREMELY ACCURATE COMMON CALIBERED GUN for $1125...I can tell you the gun will shoot...I've built 6 of them so far with the 110 and 10 actions and they are all one ragged hole shooters...FIVE ROUND GROUPS...NOT THREE'S...

So you've spent $1125 on your rifle, you've picked up a nice used bag or case for it for another $50-$75...you got $300 left over...search HIGH AND LOW for the best deal on FGMM and buy $300 worth of it you can just about find it anywhere for $29.99 a box of 20...thats 200 rounds of match ammo...save your brass...while your new gun is breaking YOU in, your saving all your brass...in the meantime you buy a Lee or RCBS O-Ring Single Stage Press for about $125, a Set of 308 Dies $50, a dial caliper for $30, a scale for $25-$30, bullets, powder and primers for another $200 or so...NOW...YOU ARE IN THE SHOOTING/RELOADING and SHOOTING SOME MORE BUSINESS...entry level, affordable and fun...I did almost exactly this at the advise of someone about my age now and have not looked back...it turned me into a shooter...not a dreamer...no...its not a sexy as a shiny new 6.5mm Tikka or 700, its an entry level tack driving Ford 4x4 Super Cab PICK UP...that $1500 will buy and feed...

Capt Beach

Last edited:
Savage is ok as a range toy or a hunting gun (non trophy).........they are not reliable enough if you actually shoot them.

Guys please stop giving poor advice. It has been proven time and time again, that savages will NOT hold up to heavy firing schedules and I'm not even going to get into the the issues with their bores and mashed crowns that seem way too frequent.

If you think I'm bullshiting you, ask some well known Rifle instructors how they hold up durring a week long course. There are a couple of high respected names who has said they have YET to see one not have an issue/break and make it through a full course.

Why anyone would recomend a MK4 at this stage in the game...........is just mind boggling. There are about 10 other optics that are either VASTY superior for the same money or just as good for much less money. Thats like recomending a Pentium 2 350MHZ Machine to run the lastest games on the highest setting.

Yeah, personally I'd be pissed if someone told me all I did was protect convoys (unless I was a contractor).... Guess us Army sniper school candidates/graduates couldn't complete that task. Carry on high speed. I bet your apartment reeks of leather bound books and rich mahogany..... and you call it the skankserwary aka where you bring back all those fine ass ladies.

Oh yeah? So you know what I did based on some retarded news article from 10 years ago from the baltimore sun? Bravo........thanks for reinforcing my intellegence assertation.

You should talk less shit to those that ensure your AAFES deliveries of tampons and 3 month issues of cosmo made it to the fob in time.

You do get some redemption for droppin Ron Burgandy.

Last edited:
If your looking for a SS 3-15 scope get on SWFA's email list. They just sent out a promo/teaser for Black Friday.

Also fear not... You can certainly enjoy this hobby with something other than a TRG or Accuracy International. Many people have done it before and they are not all stupid. In fact I think there is an entire industry that supports it!

"Off the shelf gun, off the shelf ammo, and a scope. Steel targets, coyotes and deer under 500-600 yards after I become proficient enough to know where I'm shooting."

"Savage is ok as a range toy or a hunting gun (non trophy)......"

Pretty sure that is what he is looking for based on the OP