• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns $1500 - What Pistol?

Colorado S14

Pushing the Limits of Spontaneous Combustion
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
Denver, CO
www.youtube.com
Looking for the best target pistol for $1,500 or under.

Will only be a range gun, interested in first pistol comp as well, perhaps.

My inclination/heart says a Shadow 2 is the right gun at this price.

Cheers.

When you say comp, what discipline are you looking at getting into? Might get different recommendations if you’re trying to get into bullseye vs ipsc.

Do you want to shoot with irons or a dot, or both?

You can get the Shadow 2 Optics Ready for ~$1200-$1300, leaves you some money for an optic. Or you can get a regular Shadow 2 for ~$1k. Use left over funds for a CZ Customs / Cajun Gun Works treatment. Some people prefer getting their slide direct milled for an optic anyway as it sits a little bit lower. Depending on what type of matches you're trying to shoot you can also swap back and forth between SAO or DA/SA.

Looking for the best target pistol for $1,500 or under.

Will only be a range gun, interested in first pistol comp as well, perhaps.

My inclination/heart says a Shadow 2 is the right gun at this price.

Cheers.

The TS2/S2 line is hard to beat for a fun range gun and a comp gun.

The Shadow 2 is a great pistol, perfect for USPSA. I believe it is too heavy for IDPA unless you put it on a diet.

IMO CZ knocked this one out of the park for competition. The SP-01 Shadow predecessor is a pretty nice gun as well, but it needs some work and replacement parts to improve the trigger. Whereas the Shadow 2 is practically comp-ready out of the box. The DA trigger pull is very smooth and linear and SA is pretty nice with stock sear and hammer. For <$60 in springs and a couple pins from Cajun Gunworks you can DIY the trigger to make it even better.

I shot mine for a while in Production division then sent the slide off to be milled for a red dot optic. This was before CZ-UB started importing the Optic Ready model which is a good deal if you want to run it in Carry Optics division or switch back to irons for Production div.

Plus there’s good aftermarket support for the Shadow 2 between Cajun Gunworks, CZ Custom, Armory Craft, Lok grips, MecGar mags, and a bunch of holster makers.

Reactions: LR1845
Thanks for the replies. Not much puse back on the Shadow 2 route…

Apologies for being vague with the comment on comps, to be honest I know next to nothing about the differences between IDPA and USPSA, etc. Maybe the optics ready is the way to go, what with the ability to switch back and forth and all. Would a S2 be in a similar division as something like a SIG X Five Legion or does the weight separate the two in competition? I assume that the CZ would be the flatter, easier, shooting of the two if for no other reason than weight.

Thanks for the replies. Not much puse back on the Shadow 2 route…

Apologies for being vague with the comment on comps, to be honest I know next to nothing about the differences between IDPA and USPSA, etc. Maybe the optics ready is the way to go, what with the ability to switch back and forth and all. Would a S2 be in a similar division as something like a SIG X Five Legion or does the weight separate the two in competition? I assume that the CZ would be the flatter, easier, shooting of the two if for no other reason than weight.
IDPA has rules that make it more of a tactical simulation, using concealed guns. USPSA/IPSC is more "pure sport" oriented. Rules are available on the respective websites.

SIG X Five Legion doesn't exactly look like a lightweight either.
I haven't handled an XFive Legion. Every CZ that I've had in my hands has suited me. Can you get your hands on them? The Shadow 2 is a pretty sure choice for IPSC/USPSA Production Divisions, and with an optic for Production Optics or Carry Optics.

Reactions: LR1845

USPSA is the US version of the international IPSC. There are a few subtle differences between the two rulesets, but by and large they are the same. Easiest way to describe it is to watch a few USPSA videos on Youtube.

IDPA was a spin off of USPSA back in the mid-90’s when some people felt like USPSA strayed away from the roots of “practical shooting” and became a run-and-game and too much of an equipment race with some of their gun divisions (think Formula 1 vs Stock Car). IDPA stresses shooting more or less stock guns in simulated ”real life” scenarios with your gun and mags worn under a cover garment. The irony is IDPA got ‘gamed’ almost from the get go, with people shooting tricked out full size guns that very few people carry in real life and wearing silly photography vests as their cover garment, and the “real life“ scenarios are quite often a stretch (1 vs 6-9 bad guys). The few times of year I shoot IDPA I use it as practice for my EDC gun/gear and everyday street clothes.

Depending on where you live, there may be more USPSA or IDPA matches, some clubs offer both venues on different weekends. Check out Practiscore.com and do a search for matches near you.

Currently the Sig X5 Legion is the #1 gun used in USPSA Carry Optics division, with the Shadow 2 in #2 place. The Sig is a neat gun, and the extra weight of the tungsten infused grip helped get it to 40-ish oz which IMO is the sweet spot for a handgun. But I think the main reason for its popularity is it is ready-out-of-the box for either Production division (iron sights) or Carry Optics division with its plate mounting system for a red dot. But it still is a plastic gun, striker fired, and has had some teething issues in the first few years of its release. Grey Guns offers a pretty slick trigger job or parts for DIY. I’ve shot them, and they can be nice guns.

But if you are an all-metal and DA/SA fan, the Shadow 2 is hard to beat. At 46 oz it is weighty but all that weight, especially out front, makes for a pretty flat shooting gun. Until CZ started importing the Optics-Ready version the only recourse we had to mount a red dot was to send the slide off for milling to accept a red dot. As mentioned above, there’s good after-market support for the CZs for springs, parts, and accessories.

Currently the USPSA rulebook allows a max weight of 59 oz for a Production or Carry Optics pistol, so you can add even more weight to your gun if you like (tungsten guiderod, brass grips, lights, etc.). But one thing to remember, while weight helps to tame down recoil it also slows you down a little when transitioning to another target.

Here are my Shadow 2’s.
BB803D22-3EFE-4642-9575-2250DB77CF98.jpeg

Reactions: Vivacious Stallion
E7887451-2780-4A4C-A346-FF7DA371A888.jpeg

CZ all the way! This is my shadow custom with I have no idea how many rounds through it. I shot it in USPSA for years. This was before the shadow 2.

Then you buy a P01 and do all the same work for carry and IDPA :)

Attachments

• 7735803C-2909-49CB-AECA-FF8C474B2492.jpeg
    7735803C-2909-49CB-AECA-FF8C474B2492.jpeg
    377.6 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Gustav7
USPSA is the US version of the international IPSC. There are a few subtle differences between the two rulesets, but by and large they are the same. Easiest way to describe it is to watch a few USPSA videos on Youtube.

IDPA was a spin off of USPSA back in the mid-90’s when some people felt like USPSA strayed away from the roots of “practical shooting” and became a run-and-game and too much of an equipment race with some of their gun divisions (think Formula 1 vs Stock Car). IDPA stresses shooting more or less stock guns in simulated ”real life” scenarios with your gun and mags worn under a cover garment. The irony is IDPA got ‘gamed’ almost from the get go, with people shooting tricked out full size guns that very few people carry in real life and wearing silly photography vests as their cover garment, and the “real life“ scenarios are quite often a stretch (1 vs 6-9 bad guys). The few times of year I shoot IDPA I use it as practice for my EDC gun/gear and everyday street clothes.

Depending on where you live, there may be more USPSA or IDPA matches, some clubs offer both venues on different weekends. Check out Practiscore.com and do a search for matches near you.

Currently the Sig X5 Legion is the #1 gun used in USPSA Carry Optics division, with the Shadow 2 in #2 place. The Sig is a neat gun, and the extra weight of the tungsten infused grip helped get it to 40-ish oz which IMO is the sweet spot for a handgun. But I think the main reason for its popularity is it is ready-out-of-the box for either Production division (iron sights) or Carry Optics division with its plate mounting system for a red dot. But it still is a plastic gun, striker fired, and has had some teething issues in the first few years of its release. Grey Guns offers a pretty slick trigger job or parts for DIY. I’ve shot them, and they can be nice guns.

But if you are an all-metal and DA/SA fan, the Shadow 2 is hard to beat. At 46 oz it is weighty but all that weight, especially out front, makes for a pretty flat shooting gun. Until CZ started importing the Optics-Ready version the only recourse we had to mount a red dot was to send the slide off for milling to accept a red dot. As mentioned above, there’s good after-market support for the CZs for springs, parts, and accessories.

Currently the USPSA rulebook allows a max weight of 59 oz for a Production or Carry Optics pistol, so you can add even more weight to your gun if you like (tungsten guiderod, brass grips, lights, etc.). But one thing to remember, while weight helps to tame down recoil it also slows you down a little when transitioning to another target.

Here are my Shadow 2’s.
View attachment 8022749

How are you liking the flat faced triggers? Which ones did you go with?

How are you liking the flat faced triggers? Which ones did you go with?
Those two are the CZ Custom DA/SA flat trigger. Got them several years ago when they first came out. CZ Custom’s version requires their DA short disco to work with it.

Since then I’ve installed the Armory Craft semi-curved trigger on the S2 w/ black Lok grips and kept the CZC on the other one. I go back and forth between the two and like them both, but don’t have a strong preference for either. For sure I like the AC semi-curved trigger better than OEM.

I think CGW released a flat-ish DA/SA trigger recently, but they are having difficulty keeping them in stock. Have not played around with that one or the Eamann Tech flat trigger.

Reactions: Gustav7