• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1500 yard cartridge

Jinx1

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2023
Usa
I have a 338 lupa shot the barrel out in two months 1000 rounds

Is there a cheaper round and longer lasting barrel that can still reach 1500-2500 yards

Thanks

Performance is a trade off of barrel life and component cost and consumables ( Barrels, brass, bullets and powder )
Or get really good at reading enviromental conditions, extremely precise reloading practices and shooting more rounds with a small caliber with better barrel life but a lower hit probability at extreme distances.

Reactions: wildcats
With that action you re-barrel to 300NM and shoot a 230 ish grain 30cal bullet that will give you better performance and somewhere in the 1200-1500 round barrel life.....with a cheaper per round cost. Or you can do what I would do and rebarrel to 33XC and get that performance past 2500yds. The per round cost will be about the same as 338LM but the performance is magnitudes higher. The barrel life should be in the 1200 to 1500 round area for precision.

These are magnum cartridges and not plinking guns. 1000 rounds in 2 months is excessive. If you simply 'like to shoot'...go buy something to plink with. Any precision rifle is going to have a relatively low round count life on the barrel. We are pushing a lot of abrasive powder down a steel tube mixed with a lot of heat. Stuff wears out.

When engaging 1500+ yard targets...it's about quality...not quantity of shots on target. Many new to long range shooters come from a 308 background and think a barrel is a fixed cost. Once you start shooting magnums you realize that barrels are like tires on your car. They aren't cheap but they have to be replaced often. I go through about 2.5 barrels a year....well years when work allows me to compete more. I've given up complaining about the cost of rebarreling. I simply pick up the phone....order a new barrel...or two...and change them out as needed.

Not what you probably wanted to hear...but it is what it is.

1000 Rounds in 2 months isn't crazy if you can shoot every other day, at that point I'd say just buy more barrels.

You aren't going to find anything that's going to provide a substantial increase in barrel life and maintain similar performance. Dropping down to a 30 will save you a bit on projectiles.

Do you compete at all? could do 2 barrels a 33XC for competition and 30NM for day to day shooting.

1000 Rounds in 2 months isn't crazy if you can shoot every other day, at that point I'd say just buy more barrels.

You aren't going to find anything that's going to provide a substantial increase in barrel life and maintain similar performance. Dropping down to a 30 will save you a bit on projectiles.

Do you compete at all? could do 2 barrels a 33XC for competition and 30NM for day to day shooting.

You have to forgive me @Taylorbok . In my mind, anything over 50 rounds a month in a non-competitive environment is excessive :) I just see so many people that come from the 308 and 6.5cm world and buy a precision gun....go out and spend 1000 rounds to 'find a load' and shoot out their barrels just having fun....which is fine...whatever floats their boat.

I've devolved down to a 20 round load work up...followed by rarely shooting my rifles outside of competing. When I just need to go pound close range steel....800yds and in...I grab the old 308 that will probably never need a new barrel and enjoy myself.

I think we can both agree...that a 338LM is no longer competitive in today's precision world.

I have a 338 lupa ...

Is there a cheaper ...
OP:
fashion-2016-02-breakfast-at-tiffanys-audrey-hepburn-window-shot-main.jpg

You have to forgive me @Taylorbok . In my mind, anything over 50 rounds a month in a non-competitive environment is excessive :) I just see so many people that come from the 308 and 6.5cm world and buy a precision gun....go out and spend 1000 rounds to 'find a load' and shoot out their barrels just having fun....which is fine...whatever floats their boat.

I've devolved down to a 20 round load work up...followed by rarely shooting my rifles outside of competing. When I just need to go pound close range steel....800yds and in...I grab the old 308 that will probably never need a new barrel and enjoy myself.

I think we can both agree...that a 338LM is no longer competitive in today's precision world.
Depending How lucky I get and how Picky I am being my load dev is 30-50 Rounds. That's for a completely new chambering, If it's just a new barrel same chamber I get away with much less. I've brainstormed a method to get down to 20 but I need nicer weather to test that method to see if I'll be happy.

I agree 1000 is lots of rounds, considering Id expect to kill an afternoon shooting anywhere from 20-50 rounds. The way I broke it down is if he gets to shoot every day 16 ish rounds an outing isn't bad. Every second day, 33, still not bad. Now if he shoots once a week 112 rounds in an outing is definitely excessive and likely just sending lead for the heck of it.

If I could shoot out to 2500 yards from my back door I'd do it a lot more often. If a person is just pulling the trigger to send a round it's a waste but if it's valuable rifle time and practice there is no harm in shooting lots if you have the time and can afford it.

Last edited:
I have a 6.5 credmor that I’m get a 223 barrel for for under 1500 yards

I just got the 338 as the next step went to a class and have a 3000 yard range at my house. I just had no idea how short of a life it had and the cost per round

Even if I had to build a different gun for longer life and cheaper components

I’m also having a 416 Barrett built and hopping to clear anther 1000 yards of woods

Last edited:
Skepticism peaked

.223 and 6.5 CM have different bolt faces.
You just bought a 338 lm and went straight to it and built a 3000 yard range. and Killed a barrel in 2 months?
416 Barrett build in the works.

I hope it's all true and color me jealous. I wish I had access to the land and time for that.
If so may want to reconsider the 416 Barrett for a different cartridge. Main complaints seem to be brass and primers

In that case buy barrel's 6 at a time have them all cut, get a barrel vise and action wrench, change as needed.
Start a garden for all your tomato stakes. You won't find anything easier on barrels than 338 Lap for those distances.

how did you determine it was shot out?

338 lapua is not that overbore of a cartridge.

1,000 rounds seems short, if its truly shot out then i’d say your shooting habits are to blame.

i’d recommend what the other member mentioned, just get a bunch of barrels spun up and don’t worry about it. Ain’t nothing cheap about long range magnum cartridges.

how did you determine it was shot out?

338 lapua is not that overbore of a cartridge.

1,000 rounds seems short, if its truly shot out then i’d say your shooting habits are to blame.
Yep ..agree

I had an AWSM 338l that had 2400 rounds on it .. its still going strong...........mate had a TRG42 338l with 1900 rounds on it...still shot 1/2 moa.

Currently have a a Desert Tech with 338L barrel conv ...500rds and very little sign of wear when looking at it with a bore scope.

I have a 6.5 credmor that I’m get a 223 barrel for for under 1500 yards

I just got the 338 as the next step went to a class and have a 3000 yard range at my house. I just had no idea how short of a life it had and the cost per round

Even if I had to build a different gun for longer life and cheaper components

I’m also having a 416 Barrett built and hopping to clear anther 1000 yards of woods

Where's the emoji reaction for Jealousy? I'm insanely jealous.

Reactions: Stoogey and Sigma
I can’t and my friend can’t hold better then a 4in group

Should I take the can off a try again

Thunder best 338 sr

I can’t and my friend can’t hold better then a 4in group

Should I take the can off a try again

Thunder best 338 sr

Yes. Take the van off and clean it. Check all the action/scope base/ring screws tight. If that doesn’t help, try a new scope. A 338 shouldn’t be shot out in a 1,000 rounds. What load are you using? How fast an interval are you shooting? Maybe over heating the barrel?

A 338 shouldn’t be shot out in a 1,000 rounds. What load are you using? How fast an interval are you shooting? Maybe over heating the barrel?
I rant this through a purporeted barrel life calculator. Compare N570 vs Retumbo. N570 is pretty brutal :oops:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.338_Lapua_Magnum (for pressure data)

1682054255155.png

1682054298933.png

I run a .338Lm and I had just under 1700 round when I put the new barrel on. 1000 Sounds low to me. What powder and bullet are you using??

nosler 250 accubond
N560 85 grains 2764
Fed 215
Peterson brass

I have clean the gun every 100 rounds or so
3-5 round string put in chamber cooler wait 15min

This was my second gun for load development and I had a very hard time finding a load

Reactions: Taylorbok
Send a bore scope down there and have a look. She might need a really good deep clean. I agree 1000 rounds is low for 338 lap

Reactions: wooferocau
As said before, 1000 rounds is too soon for a 338LM to be shot out unless its being abused with a really hot load. Also as said before, switching to 300NM is going to be a step in the opposite direction for barrel life. Heck, I have over 1000 (1200-ish) on my 300NM barrel right now and it's still shooting fairly well. A 338LM isn't as over-bored, and should definitely last longer.

That calculator is wonky. Shows my 308 as done at 2600 rounds. I'm at 6000 and still hammering, but on the down side I would imagine.

I quit counting at 15,000 rounds for my 308....shooting better than it ever has....meanwhile...I change my barrels on 300PRC about 1200...they can go 1500...but I'm shooting 1 mile paper with it....and about 1500+ for the 6 Dasher.

I was thinking for precision...the 338LM should go to about 1500 or so.

I quit counting at 15,000 rounds for my 308....shooting better than it ever has....meanwhile...I change my barrels on 300PRC about 1200...they can go 1500...but I'm shooting 1 mile paper with it....and about 1500+ for the 6 Dasher.

I was thinking for precision...the 338LM should go to about 1500 or so.
4” groups doesn’t tell me your barrel is shot out, it tells me there is something loose or broken.

im not saying its not possible, but is very very unlikely for only 1,000 rounds down the pipe.

Reactions: st1650
What scope are you using?

Can you check it on another rifle?

Or try another scope on this rifle?

Ill check the action screws again was having a problem during load development were the wrong size from XLR got the news ones put them in with Loctite

march Genesis 6 to 60 scope

Try another scope
I had 2 of these fail on high recoiling Rifles.
I haven't used these, but I did have a brand new scope fail on a 338LM during load development and it drove me crazy until I figured it out. Group sizes were getting progressively bigger despite whatever load changes I made. i finally figured it out when my earlier loads that had given the best results were way worse, and the Zero was shifting every time out.

Reactions: wooferocau
The scope is fine trued it on the 6.5 and the zero on the 338 still didn’t shoot

Screw can lose after 2 round even with loctight

Is the xlr envy pro not meant for which a big round

1000 rounds in 2 months is 17 rounds EVERY DAY, or 35 rounds EVERY OTHER DAY. I mean it can be done, but I had my 338 LM in the desert yesterday and got to 25 rounds and that was enough. 6 shots at 1100 and 19 at a mile. I can't really imagine a situation where I'm seriously shooting that many shots or more every other day. Or why I would want to. I honestly had more fun with my 223 at 1100 yards (I always do).

Reactions: Sigma
1000 rounds in 2 months is 17 rounds EVERY DAY, or 35 rounds EVERY OTHER DAY. I mean it can be done, but I had my 338 LM in the desert yesterday and got to 25 rounds and that was enough. 6 shots at 1100 and 19 at a mile. I can't really imagine a situation where I'm seriously shooting that many shots or more every other day. Or why I would want to. I honestly had more fun with my 223 at 1100 yards (I always do).
sounds like me, i have more fun at my property (500ish yard range) shooting my cheap 22 lr at 400 yards than my cheytac lol

Reactions: secondofangle2
Has anyone had problems with the screws walking out of the xlr chassis this is the 5th time 3rd set of screws

I Loctite them the last time and they still came out

Has anyone had problems with the screws walking out of the xlr chassis this is the 5th time 3rd set of screws

Are you torquing them properly? Last I remember my chassis torq was 60in/lbs+ ... I would imagine on a bigger setup like that, you'd want a little more force on them. Or something isn't lining up right.

100 FOOT POUNDS?

The bolts would break....use 60 INCH POUNDS

Pro Tip...change your action screws every time you take your chassis off....they are cheap.

338 will last way longer than 1k. Something is off
I was wondering if he was shooting 10 round strings of hot loads.
I'd be interested in what OP was shooting, to burn out a 338lm in 1k rounds.
you hammer a barrel like a linked weapon, barrels not going to last long.
"Look son, you can see the bullet pass through the barrel. Cool dad, do it again."
edit - this isn't that hot of a load; 250 grain at 2700 fps
nosler 250 accubond
N560 85 grains 2764

Last edited:

I've never replaced a set of action screws after they've been fitted. There isn't enough thread engagement on any of them so make sure you have all you can get. I torque them to 65 inch pounds and retorque them every time I clean the barrel. They never move after 100 rounds but I started that process after a set did after many hundreds of rounds. Nothing magical about 65, I just have an old tee handle torque wrench that's permanently set there.

When you install the action in the chassis, install and tighten the screws with the action vertical to make sure the recoil lug is setting the axial position in the chassis and that the action screws have a little play in both directions with the screws maybe 1 turn out. If the spacing or clocking of the action screw holes is off, one of them winds up being the recoil lug. The problem is generally the action and not the chassis. Screw holes can be opened to a point to provide the required clearance and bedding fixes the larger problems.

Make sure the action is seated its full length along both sides and not high centering on the recoil lug or trigger. If the chassis has a little radius at the bottom of the recoil lug face, that's a common location for interference. Adjustment screws on the trigger housing are another.

400 ModBB material would extend barrel life as well but the cost doesn't really make it a better or worse deal than regular steel. However, you do get to go twice as long before a new barrel

Reactions: secondofangle2