• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1500 yards with 18.5" bbl .308 and .284

300sniper

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2005
Greenwood, Ca
late this morning a friend called and said he wanted to go test out his new 7wms at some extended ranges. i was not really ready but i did have 25 rounds of .284 loaded and 25 rounds of 308 that a friend gave me. the .308 loads were virgin lapua brass, 45.0 grains varget, br2 primer and 175 smk. i shot the .308 load the other day and confirmed it was safe. if i was going to use this combo, i'd probably back this load down to 44.5 grains as it would probably be a bit hot in the summer.

i had the scope off the .308 yesterday so i shot 5 rounds first at 100 yards to get a zero. then we moved up to our firing position 1500 yards from where we set up the 20" round steel target. i started out with the .284 shooting 175 smk's at about 2850 fps. this spot has some weird winds coming up the side of the mountain and it makes for very tricky conditions. i shot into the soft dirt in front of the target at first so i could see where i was impacting since the target had bushes around it making misses hard to see. i put 50 minutes of elevation and 10 minutes left wind for my first shot. that was 1 minute low and about 4 minutes to the left of the target. i made a correction and fired into the dirt again. it hit where i was aiming so i moved to the target. the next two rounds hit the target. then i had several misses, and a few more hits. i think i only had 6 to 8 hits out of the 15 rounds i actually fired at the target. this is WAY beyond what i intended this rifle for but i was happy to get some hits in the conditions out there.

after all the .284 ammo was gone i moved to the 18.5" barreled .308. i built this rifle for 600 yards and in but i figured what the hell, it made it to 1000 yards just fine, why not give it a try at 1500 yards. i don't know the velocity of this load so i made a wild ass guess and dialed up my elevation to 65 minutes and 12 minutes of left wind. i made my first shot at the soft dirt in front of the target. i was way low but my wind was not all that bad. i went up to 75 minutes of elevation and backed the wind down to 10 minutes. that hit where i was aiming in the soft dirt in front of the target. third hit was at the target and a hit. i think i only had 3 or 4 hits on target with the remaining ammo. considering i wasn't expecting any hits at that range, i am happy with the results.

i'll let my friend tell his story about how he did with his 7wsm so i don't embarrass him
grin.gif

nothing like sipping a cup of starbucks while doing some long range shooting out in the woods
grin.gif

1500yards01.jpg

1500yards3.jpg

1500yards4.jpg

1500yards6.jpg

Re: 1500 yards with 18.5" bbl .308 and .284

gr8 shooting with the 308, would love try that distance , my max at the moment is 1100m

nice shootin but starbucks is ghey lol

Starbucks. Man, I don't see how you can drink coffee and shoot. My non-caffeinated "wobble area" at 1500 yards would probably have to be measured with GPS. If I drank coffee too I might as well just toss the loaded cartridges downrange by hand for all the good it would do me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R37</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of a scope were you using sniper 300 </div></div>

5.5-22 nightforce with np-r1 reticle on the .284 and a leupold 4.5-14 lr-t with 3/4 mildot reticle on the .308.

Good shooting, are you shooting out in the desolation wilderness area? Im located in pville, looking to get into my first long range weapon.

not desolation wilderness. i think shooting out there is frowned upon.

if you are looking for a more formal place to shoot and learn long range shooting, check out nor cal practical precision rifle club: ncpprc. there are monthly long range matches that are between 200 and 1k yards and also regular practice sessions. we shoot down at the sac valley shooting center, in slough house. it is a great group of people and everyone is willing to help out a new guy. they also hold a new shooter clinic once a year where they help new rifle shooters learn their gear and get them on target at 1k yards.

Sloughhouse is an excellent range. The conditions there can bump up the wind reading "learning curve" quickly indeed!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrell Buell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sloughhouse is an excellent range. The conditions there can bump up the wind reading "learning curve" quickly indeed!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

i've heard that from several people but it is the only 1k "range" that i have shot on. i guess shooting on it several times a month, one gets used to what the wind does. i gave up on even looking at the flags out there and use the mirage off the 600 yard line to judge the wind. the damn flags lie
laugh.gif

edit: i am thinking about shooting this 18" barreled 308 in the next folsom special prone match in the f/tr class. i know i will be way outgunned but it would be cool just so i can say i did. i am not a f class shooter but those matches are great for learning wind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice shooting! FYI starbucks hates the US military they think we are a bunch of baby killing rapist rednecks </div></div>

you show me one place in corporate america that doesn't somehow, in someway support someone you don't agree with and maybe i'll quit drinking my morning starbucks. i am not supposed to buy coffee from starbucks because they give money to anti-handgun groups and are anti-troop. i am not supposed to shop at rei because they support the sierra club and are against off-road access. i can't shop at bass pros because of similar reasons. i can't shop at target because they are pro-illegal immigrant. the list goes on and on. i would bet that every large corporation you deal with these days some how is giving money to or linked to someone who is giving money to someone you don't like.

i've bought several pounds of coffee from starbucks that they were supposed to send to the troops, did i get scammed? i remember reading "thank you" letters posted on the wall in my local starbucks from troops for donations years before the starbucks anti-troop story went around. my local starbucks doesn't seem to be anti-military. now some of the patrons i see in there may be a totally different story.

Tim Hortons does

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpmuscle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tim Hortons does </div></div>

does what?

My first tour in Iraq was accompanied by a Conex of donated Starbucks, from the company HQ. I have seen there donations to the troops first hand, although it was hard to come by it was there. Don't believe everything you read.

Good shooting. I have not taken my .308 to 1500M. At 1100m it needs 44.5 MOA to reach it, at about 5500 feet. That's shooting a stock PSS. I'm jealous of your range, can't find that in my area. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Keep it up.

300 sniper that is the idea. but i will give you a company Cabelas!!!!! i guess you will have to find somewhere else to get your morning coffee.lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300 sniper that is the idea. but i will give you a company Cabelas!!!!! i guess you will have to find somewhere else to get your morning coffee.lol </div></div>

they are a sponsor of trout unlimited, an organization that is working to close down off road trails.

next.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FK300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Rob, email me when you go play long distance...I'd like to join you.

I'd need to spike Starbucks with Baileys to make it worth drinking.
grin.gif

</div></div>

will do. that would be a good spot for the 338 norma mag. i bet we could get over 2k yards if we wanted to hike a ways with the target
grin.gif

Looks like a great spot you found there. I am just about to start load development for my 338 norma and was looking for a place to stretch the legs a little bit once I get everything squared away. If you don't mind company, I would like to join you on one of these trips next year some time.
Thanks,
Jordan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FK300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hike 2K!?!? I'll bring my quad.
cool.gif
</div></div>

that would be a big no-no in that area. they are very strict about motorized vehicles off of marked/mapped roads. you can drive most of the way but may have to hike the target 300-500 yards each way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooting4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a great spot you found there. I am just about to start load development for my 338 norma and was looking for a place to stretch the legs a little bit once I get everything squared away. If you don't mind company, I would like to join you on one of these trips next year some time.
Thanks,
Jordan </div></div>

next spring after the snow melts, i want to get a few guys together and go out into the high desert for a camping/bbq/extended long range shooting adventure. by then i should have my 300 win mag rebarreled and ready for some extended range fun. this spot pictured here gets a bit crowded with more than two people. it is nice because it is only about 20 miles from my house.

If you decide to do that, give me a holler. You know me as Mr. Wolf on another board...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FK300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hike 2K!?!? I'll bring my quad.
cool.gif
</div></div>

Hey FK300, where are you? There is a 1,000 yard range out 166 down by me. They have a match ever month.

Phil

Thats pretty awesome ! I might do the same with my M1A supermatch .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FK300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hike 2K!?!? I'll bring my quad.
cool.gif
</div></div>

that would be a big no-no in that area. they are very strict about motorized vehicles off of marked/mapped roads. you can drive most of the way but may have to hike the target 300-500 yards each way. </div></div>

I guess not everyone is familiar with your other hobby! Quads are what the girlfriends ride when they're scared you are gonna roll the truck!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I guess not everyone is familiar with your other hobby! Quads are what the girlfriends ride when they're scared you are gonna roll the truck!! </div></div>

my other hobby of watching my 4runner rot away in my yard because i am to lazy to pull the motor apart and fix a rod bearing?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I guess not everyone is familiar with your other hobby! Quads are what the girlfriends ride when they're scared you are gonna roll the truck!! </div></div>

my other hobby of watching my 4runner rot away in my yard because i am to lazy to pull the motor apart and fix a rod bearing?
grin.gif
</div></div>

I'm even worse--my Scout is running perfect, yet it still hasn't moved more than a few feet in the past couple years!! But at least its indoors
smile.gif

Merry Christmas Bro!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

grin.gif
</div></div>

<------- can relate as he looks outside to see his beloved FJ40 carcuss outside rotting on a trailer, even though he has every part to make it go....
grin.gif

sounds like you had a great day!